PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Translated excerpt about his new programs:

SM: So the programmes are ready...
JW: In general yes. They are still to be polished but the skeleton is ready.

SM: Can you tell a bit? Which music are you going to use?
JW: It's a special kind of music. I'll just mention that I was personally given my SP music by Lady Gaga.

SM: You're kidding....
JW: Nope. The SP will be really cool. As for the LP... I went to the skaters of the 50s and the 60s, whose programme was much longer and included cuts from different pieces. I'll have the same, but modern and with a fast beat. There will be a lot of classical bits, music everyone knows. The theme of the programme is phoenix. How it rises from the ashes.

SM: Do you mean yourself?
JW: You bet. I'll tell my story on the ice.
SM: Lady Gaga gave you the music. Are you friends?
JW: As much as you can be friends with a superstar. She supports me, takes interest in my career. I was once sitting in her mother's restaurant and her mother told me `It would be great if you skated to Gaga's music'

SM: Gaga?
JW: Well, no, of course she called her Stephanie. Anyway, mom called the daughter and she sent me the music.

SM: Will you copy Gaga's costume?
JW: Perhaps.
So, based on the interview, I'm wondering if Lady Gaga gave him HER music to use for his SP or is he skating to music she suggested to him?

skatesindreams
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
How rude.

I hope Joshua and Jason make him pay DEARLY for that statement.

What an arrogant cocky interview. And you lot reckon Plushenko is bad.

Anyone who competes should believe that they have a chance to win.
No one knows who will represent the US in two years.

IceAlisa
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
TAHbKA, great job!! There were a few expressions that gave me pause in the original but you did so well.

What bugs me is that there is no Russian expression for PR (and others)--they just phonetically pronounce "pee--ahr". I realize that it may be a new concept but they could have invented a new expression that sounds more Russian. I am totally with the French where the French Academy comes up with new French equivalents for foreign words. Although they are not always successful in popularizing them.

Anyway, so great to hear from Johnny. I wish him all the luck in the world but just don't see him besting PChiddy et al. He seems to know that himself. But so much fun to read and appreciate how much insight Johnny has into the Russian culture and character. I love that. This boy from rural Pennsylvania is a real citizen of the world. It would be great to see him make a comeback, just for the pleasure of seeing him skate again.

He sounds so mature and insightful in general--love him! Just love him. Victor must be a good influence. :)

I just realized that I've never given my son a cheburashka. And now it is may be too late. :drama:

Finnice
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
It was entertaining...in many ways. :drama: Thanks, TAHbKA!

Carolla5501
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
" By the way, the federation treats me better than ever. Guess they realize I'm the only one who can keep the figure skating popular in the USA. Evan won the Olympics but no one has a clue who is he. Yes. I can make our sport popular again.. I hope the federation will let me participate all the competitions I have to and will explain how to be liked by the judges as well as the public. For the last 2 years I got too used to skate for people who would clap just if I shake my ass."

And there are those of us who find you attitude so offputting that it's sad. I was thinking you had grown up, but here comes the 'classic' Weir comment. :(

And when he doesn 't win a Gold Medal it won't be HIS fault, he will back to the Federation....

ANd yes, Weir you are better known then other skaters... sadly it's more for your "act" then your skating.

Cherub721
06-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I am ROFL that the Jesus program was supposed to be "masculine." :lol: God bless Johnny.

AndyWarhol
06-06-2012, 05:16 PM
i read 90% of that. Thanks for the posting.

Johnny is always amusing. I wish him well for his comeback.

museksk8r
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
" By the way, the federation treats me better than ever. Guess they realize I'm the only one who can keep the figure skating popular in the USA. Evan won the Olympics but no one has a clue who is he. Yes. I can make our sport popular again.. I hope the federation will let me participate all the competitions I have to and will explain how to be liked by the judges as well as the public. For the last 2 years I got too used to skate for people who would clap just if I shake my ass."

And there are those of us who find you attitude so offputting that it's sad. I was thinking you had grown up, but here comes the 'classic' Weir comment. :(

And when he doesn 't win a Gold Medal it won't be HIS fault, he will back to the Federation....

ANd yes, Weir you are better known then other skaters... sadly it's more for your "act" then your skating.

Overall, I find him harmless and amusing, but I can see how you may not like his delivery. He pretty much told the truth. Who outside of the skating world and fans who are really into skating know who Lysacek is? I don't know of anyone. I have to say though that I didn't like any of Johnny's exhibition skating to Lady Gaga music doing only a 3toe with the ass shaking and billion simple crossovers that was supposed to be choreography? If he does come back, I hope it is to seriously improve and become a better skater, which will mean he will have to become COP savvy, a weakness that cost him an Olympic medal.

Wyliefan
06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Being the best known and keeping figure skating popular are not at all the same thing.

museksk8r
06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
It's too bad the Bravo network can't have a reality show called "The Real Divos of US Figure Skating" following the lives of Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, and Jason Brown. That could boost public interest and ratings I think! :rollin:

Yazmeen
06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I wish him luck with his comeback and hopes he will be happy, but he has already accomplished his prime directive, mainly getting lots of attention for himself.

Johnny's main goal is to be a STAR, and he accomplishes that every time he opens his mouth. Skating is quite secondary to stardom for him, IMO. And the thing that really bugs me is how much he'll likely take attention away from other US skaters (not just the men) competing this season with his penchant for "it's all about me" (after all, he's the only one who can save US skating, don'tcha know...)

Same old, same old from Johnny. Hopefully his blades might speak more for him once the season starts. :rolleyes:

SkateFan66
06-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Who outside of the skating world and fans who are really into skating know who Lysacek is? I don't know of anyone.

Who? Maybe the millions of people that watched season 10 of Dancing With the Stars. It took more than the 'figure skating' fan base to vote Lysacek into the DWTS Finals.

ioana
06-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Who? Maybe the millions of people that watched season 10 of Dancing With the Stars. It took more than the 'figure skating' fan base to vote Lysacek into the DWTS Finals.

But do any casual fans really know who Evan is or just refer to him as 'the tall guy who won the Olympics?' I have several friends who only follow skating around the Olympics and both of them were excited to hear Johnny was coming back. I don't really get this, but I can see how it could give casual viewers a sense of continuity -"remember Johnny from Vancouver when he thought he wuzrobbed? Well, now he's back."

overedge
06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
The theme of the programme is phoenix. How it rises from the ashes.

SM: Do you mean yourself?
JW: You bet. I'll tell my story on the ice.

Doing a program about "rising from the ashes" is taking a big risk, if it doesn't work and he doesn't get out of the ashes, so to speak...

Skittl1321
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Do they remember him though? Or was he that "figure skating guy"? IIRC, some race car driver guy one once too. I have no idea who he is now though.