PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

kwanfan1818
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
That doesn't mean that every time he opens his mouth he's taking on that role. This was a general interview to the Russian press, not a presentation to his target audience.

I also think there's a difference between wanting people to be able to be and express themselves and understanding how painful and difficult that is. Given the choice, wouldn't most people not want to have to struggle? It's so much easier when assumptions don't have to be tested, often under derogatory and dangerous circumstances. I'm sure he has some appreciation of the difficulty of being gay in Russia outside the company in which he's privileged to keep.

Badams
06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Actually, just reading the quotes above makes me think there might be some misunderstanding in this last interview. Because it is a little contradictory, non? "I want people to believe in themselves and express themselves however they want and people should not be defined by race, sex and sexual orientation - but given the choice I'd choose to be heterosexual." :confused:

Maybe what he's trying to say is that being homosexual ISN'T a choice...he DIDN'T choose to be gay. If it WERE a choice, he'd choose the EASY path and be heterosexual because, let's be honest, it isn't easy to be gay.

Iceman
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Accepting yourself is not always an act of maturity, especially if you are engaging in behavior that is self defeating and self destructive or damaging to others. True there is no use in beating yourself up, but sometimes change is in order and that situation involves some degree of non acceptance of self.

manleywoman
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry, just my opinion, but all of Johnny's "I want to wear fur, but I don't want anyone to ever criticize me for wearing it" nonsense is boring. It never seems "I was openly gay in a homophobic sport, but still won many national championships because being good at what you do trumps prejudice", but always seems more whiny "I should have won more, but it wasn't my skating that was at fault, it was the judges and their homophobia that kept me back".

Thank you. This is how I see it too. Wish he'd stop with the whiny part. Seems to be holding him back rather then empowering him to overcome it. It's as though if he doesn't make the 2014 Oly team he can just say to everyone, "see, they just don't like me." I don't feel it serves him well to approach things this way.

VALuvsMKwan
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
It's as though if he doesn't make the 2014 Oly team he can just say to everyone, "see, they just don't like me."

Sorry, I thought that was Tara Lipinski's line. :EVILLE: She certainly didn't let that she felt that way stop her from achieving what she did.

I do hope Johnny can take note and have as much confidence in his own abilities, for his own sake.

Alex Forrest
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I thought that was Tara Lipinski's line. :EVILLE: She certainly didn't let that she felt that way stop her from achieving what she did.

Well, let's be honest. When was the last time an American woman skater won the gold medal at the Olympics IN SPITE of the US judge voting against her? It was very odd. Pat was often misquoted but she was so right when she basically said that in the US it was all Kwan, and TeamTara just had to hope that internationally Tara would be respected and judged on her merits. Well, Tara was. And Pat was right.

VALuvsMKwan
06-14-2012, 10:23 PM
I was thinking of the fluff piece profile of Tara L. and her life post-Olympics aired during US Nationals several years ago, for Tara's own quote - not Pat's post-Nagano public meltdown about the White House and the team jacket.

Johnny could stand to learn that sometimes silence is the best thing to say for the long haul - even if it doesn't get your name in the media every second.

HisWeirness
06-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Maybe what he's trying to say is that being homosexual ISN'T a choice...he DIDN'T choose to be gay. If it WERE a choice, he'd choose the EASY path and be heterosexual because, let's be honest, it isn't easy to be gay.

This is how I understood Johnny's statement in the interview as well. It is his response to those that say being homosexual is a choice and is not innate. ;)

SM: Speaking of homophobia... you know how it is in Russia. Do you like it less as the result?

JW: It is painful to think people like me can't lead a normal life in Russian. It is painful to think those who speak up for them is being shut up. But what can you do? Being gay is not about being an American or a Russian or a Chinese or anything else. There is more or less the same amount of use everywhere. If I had a choice I would be heterosexual and wouldnt' suffer. It's so much easier! But I don't have a choice, nor does anyone else.

Bournekraatzfan
06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
That doesn't mean that every time he opens his mouth he's taking on that role. This was a general interview to the Russian press, not a presentation to his target audience.

I also think there's a difference between wanting people to be able to be and express themselves and understanding how painful and difficult that is. Given the choice, wouldn't most people not want to have to struggle? It's so much easier when assumptions don't have to be tested, often under derogatory and dangerous circumstances. I'm sure he has some appreciation of the difficulty of being gay in Russia outside the company in which he's privileged to keep.

I agree with this. I also think that some of that target audience may find him easier to relate to because of this admission. And HisWeirness also bolded an important part of that quote, in which Johnny says that he does not see his sexual orientation as a matter of choice.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, let's be honest. When was the last time an American woman skater won the gold medal at the Olympics IN SPITE of the US judge voting against her? It was very odd. Pat was often misquoted but she was so right when she basically said that in the US it was all Kwan, and TeamTara just had to hope that internationally Tara would be respected and judged on her merits. Well, Tara was. And Pat was right.

As if Tara wasn't judged on her merits in the US. She was national champion, promoted by the USFS while as a junior, sent to Worlds in 1996 over a petitioning Bobek to get exposure (and be grandfathered in? I don't remember the details of that).

Just because one US judge joined two other international judges and gave Kwan a first place ordinal didn't mean the USFS mistreated Tara or underscored her. To answer your question about when was the last time an American skater won the Olympics without getting the US 1st place ordinal is missing the context because when was the last time the US had two guaranteed gold medal favorites performing as well as Kwan and Lipinski did?

Andrushka
06-15-2012, 08:59 PM
because deep down I'm an old Russian woman myself ummm ok lol

aftershocks
06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
This is how I understood Johnny's statement in the interview as well. It is his response to those that say being homosexual is a choice and is not innate.

^^ ITA ... thanks for expressing how you read it.

After laughing through Johnny's interview and slogging through the responses here:

Gosh, jeez, hard to figure what’s more entertaining, the English translation of the published Russian version of Johnny’s Q&A in which his responses were in English -- or this hugely untranslatable thread.

For those unfamiliar with Johnny threads on FSU, it might be educational, but yet again pretty frightful and time-consuming to seek out the archives and wade through several of ‘em.

:watch:

:lol: :eek: :argue: :revenge: :rolleyes: :yawn:

:huh: :yikes: :scream: :soapbox: :wall:

:respec: :rollin: ;)

And Johnny is still Johnny. :glamor: :saint: :rockstar: Bad Boy who needs no defending from no one (pardon my ungrammatical incorrectness), devilish diva, dark knight, Fallen Angel, Phoenix rising, gay but woulda chosen hetero in THIS culture, if he'd had the choice -- so saith Johnny via English-Russian-English translation. Is a vid of the interview available, btw?

JWe is a bundle of contradictions, as is figure skating. A poster on youtube (re the recent Artistry on Ice show in China) asks the rhetorical question: "Lovely Johnny, Why are you so cute?" Who knows why? Seemingly God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform.

To quote you from another thread, Pink Feathers: Some of psycho’s and your comments here, had me "literally shooting hearts out of my eyes.”

To quote psycho: “Johnny took the road less traveled…”

To quote Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

To quote Johnny: If you have to achieve something by being someone you’re not, then to me it’s not worth it.

I agree with you DickButtonFan that Johnny’s translated quote re his dream world, is a keeper!

Johnny: …Like the inside of the cloud. It's all sparkling and smells with Chanel n. 5

A few aforementioned comments of my own:

To each their own perceptions, eys. Individual viewpoints/ critiques/ comments about Johnny actually say more about the respective persons/ posters making them than they do about Johnny Weir-Voronov. To know Johnny is to love him, IMHO! His detractors tho’ are out there … gnawing at the bit! Can’t we all just get along? (Oops no, I maybe never said that last one).

Ha ha, I’m with those who are excited for the upcoming season, and I can’t wait for it to begin. Lots of interesting programs being announced. Wishing good luck to all.

Thanks BittyBug for that fascinating Bill Cunningham fashion photo essay! Re Johnny’s NYCB gala attire :rofl: Johnny’s version of black tie and white tails? Ah Johnny, he has his finger on the fashion/ culture pulse, and he will always be a rebel!!! He will always be the fab guy flaunting his poker face and silly frilly handlebar streamers IN YOUR FACE. And hidden behind these rebellious displays (especially hidden from those who haven’t got a clue) is a heart so sweet and pure. But yes, Johnny’s contrary, annoying, and too cute for his own good, too. Mellow and calmer somewhat now and grown more into his own with Victor at his side? But still a bundle of contradictions with a rapier wit.

To all those who believe that Johnny wakes up in the morning thinking about what he can possibly do next to grab your attention: :P

http://www.twitvid.com/6DUMW

To Johnny and Victor: Hugs! LOVE!

Love leaves a memory no one can steal. -- Irish saying

judiz
06-16-2012, 03:54 AM
To all those who believe that Johnny wakes up in the morning thinking about what he can possibly do next to grab your attention: :P

To Johnny and Victor: Hugs! LOVE!

Love leaves a memory no one can steal. -- Irish saying

How could you not love someone who sleeps with a stuffed panda and makes it dance to Lady Gaga?? LOL!!!

crankyintheAM
06-16-2012, 07:52 AM

:lol: :D :rofl:

:encore:

overedge
06-16-2012, 02:48 PM
(snippity snip snip snip)
Individual viewpoints/ critiques/ comments about Johnny actually say more about the respective persons/ posters making them than they do about Johnny Weir-Voronov.

(snippity snip snip snip)

Interesting how this comment only gets brought up in response to posts perceived as critical. I guess hellishly long rambling posts about Johnny's wonderfulness *don't* say more about the poster than they do about Johnny.