PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

kwanfan1818
06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Care to elaborate? He admitted he was gay to a reporter who was interviewing him. Naive or gullible, yes. Outed, no. Now orser, he was outed. It's kind of hard to be both quoted and outed.
Curry was a brave one!
As was Cranston. Weir? Pfft
According to the BBC he was outed by the German tabloid Bild-Zeitung:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/11/newsid_4504000/4504532.stm
(See "In Context"). This was included in the Wikipedia article on Curry.

I would say that someone speaking off the record was outed if printed, and Curry obviously felt he was outed in the English press:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Wg27Vuq_4&t=8m50s

bardtoob
06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Care to elaborate? He admitted he was gay to a reporter who was interviewing him. Naive or gullible, yes. Outed, no. Now orser, he was outed. It's kind of hard to be both quoted and outed.
Curry was a brave one!
As was Cranston. Weir? Pfft

^ Seriously, you should leave Johnny alone on this point. Do you not recall Johnny was wacked by Nancy on that infomercial quality skating show, "Nancy Kerrigan's World of Figure Skating (http://www.outsports.com/news/20070111weir.htm)". That whole shameful display makes me think karma is not chronological.

t.mann
06-13-2012, 09:16 AM
SM: The judges will just love it.
JW: (laughts) we'll see. I just want to have fun. If it annoys people, makes them think, cry or laugh - well ,great! Who knows whether I'll win or finish 20th? But I'll be doing exactly what I wanted and nothing else. Guess my time to win the Olympic medal has passed, but to entertain people, change the sport, change my opinion on myself - that I still can do.

SM: You once said when you skate you are in the world of your dream and you want to take the viewer there with you. What does that world look like?
JW: Like the inside of the cloud. It's all sparkling and smells with Chanel n. 5

Love this quotes.

Iceman
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I doubt Johnny is going to change the sport in any significant way. And, yes, I do believe he would be straight if he had the choice.

judiz
06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Now there is an issue with how Johnny handles being gay?? Read some of the comments posted on the internet after Johnny's marriage was announced or after his appearances at HRC or GLAAD events. Read about the obsessive fan who has been threatening Johnny and Victor because she thinks Johnny is really straight and madly in love with her. Yes, I believe Johnny does feel being straight would be an easier emotional life for him, Maybe Johnny is tired of being harassed and told his and Victor's love is "beastly" to quote the former governor of PA.

It's a lot harder coming out in the world of the internet where your private life is shared worldwide in a matter of seconds. I'm sure the majority of people who do not follow skating had no idea who was gay and who wasn't prior to the internet.

PinkFeathers
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Yay, homophobia... just what everyone needs :yikes:

Gross.

I really am not sure why I expected any less from this board. Still really shocking to come across something as vile and disgusting and cruel as that, however. Ugh.

antmanb
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Johnny's layout ALWAYS had the correct number of combination and jumps. He omitted them as a mistake due to nerves or stamina or because he felt the previous jump was not perfect and he was afraid of making a mistake. He ALWAYS said it was a mistake and it was NEVER intentional. Do you think Oda does extra combos on purpose too?

Oda is the poster boy and frequent whipping boy for - dude needs to learn COP, how stupid can you get? And rightly so, how many competitions has he thrown in the bin because of an extra combo? Arguably he's done far worse than Weir since his entire successful jumping pass is discounted (often losing up to 7 or more points), Johnny's only ever cost him 1.2. or 1.5 or whatever a double toe or double loop is worth.

Yes they were mistakes, but after doing them over and over again there comes a point where you want to hit the skater over the head with the COP and yell, DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THIS? Oda definitely falls into that category for me.

Prancer
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I gave an abstract example about two roads to success.

Of course.

I doubt Johnny is going to change the sport in any significant way. And, yes, I do believe he would be straight if he had the choice.

That's like Freud thinking that women wanted to be men. Women didn't want to be men; women wanted what men had--power. Autonomy. Independence. Control over their own lives. But they didn't want to be men.

I don't think Johnny would be straight if he could choose because he would be a completely different person. Why would he want that?

I'm sure the majority of people who do not follow skating had no idea who was gay and who wasn't prior to the internet.

I don't think that people who don't follow skating have any idea now. If skating ever crosses their minds, they usually assume that male skaters are gay, if they ever think about it at all. People who don't follow skating don't read about it on the internet.

Nan
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Yay, homophobia... just what everyone needs :yikes:

Gross.

I really am not sure why I expected any less from this board.

That's quite a broad brush you are painting with. "This board" does not share a brain or a single opinion, but as you have only been a member for a couple of months, you may not realize that yet.

kwanfan1818
06-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Now there is an issue with how Johnny handles being gay?? Read some of the comments posted on the internet after Johnny's marriage was announced or after his appearances at HRC or GLAAD events.
My issue with how Weir handles being gay was when he watched GLAAD take the reins calling Stars on Ice to task for not hiring him because he was too gay for their sponsors, and then coyly denied saying anything about it. Not that he cares, but at that point, I lost respect for him.

That's like Freud thinking that women wanted to be men. Women didn't want to be men; women wanted what men had--power. Autonomy. Independence. Control over their own lives. But they didn't want to be men.

Speak for yourself: if given the choice of gender, I would definitely have chosen being male over female, at least as a North American born in the middle of the 20th century. I think it depends on the woman.

milanessa
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Speak for yourself: if given the choice of gender, I would definitely have chosen being male over female, at least as a North American born in the middle of the 20th century.

For the reasons Prancer said or something else?

kwanfan1818
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
For the reasons Prancer said or something else?
For a lot of reasons, but men, at least white men, can be a lot more invisible than women when they want to be, and that peeing standing up and just about everywhere thing is something I've envied since I was quite little. I've never felt any advantage in being female, although I'm sure there are things to which I've been oblivious.

Lainerb
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Johnny is a closet straight man. Beyond all those desinger clothes and bags, hidden away in the back of his closet is his mishapen collection of plaid, rubberboots, jeans and his hunting rifle.

UGG
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
That's quite a broad brush you are painting with. "This board" does not share a brain or a single opinion, but as you have only been a member for a couple of months, you may not realize that yet.

Am I missing the homphobia in the thread? I don't remember reading anything out of line, but maybe I did just miss the comment.

And I agree, not sure why 1 comment by one poster = the entire board being homophobic.

VALuvsMKwan
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Johnny is a closet straight man. Beyond all those desinger clothes and bags, hidden away in the back of his closet is his mishapen collection of plaid, rubberboots, jeans and his hunting rifle.

Are we sure that he isn't a closet Lesbian, particularly if you find Birkenstocks? ;) (just playing with the stereotypes, folks - no harm meant)