PDA

View Full Version : Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Tammi
02-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Can any Boston-area residents suggest reasonably-priced hotels or other lodging in suburban Boston, easily accessible utilizing MBTA?There are options, it really depends on what you're looking for. In all honesty, the official hotel rates are fantastic and you have to go pretty far outside of Boston to find anything comparable to the price. For example, Salem Mass. is a lovely suburb about 30 minutes north of Boston. The Hawthorne Hotel there is beautiful and historic. For $109 per night, you can get a 100 square foot room with a full size bed, within walking distance to the MBTA which will take you right to North Station/TD Garden (scheduled times, not a continuous loop). That part of Salem is walk-able to some nice restaurants. You could also look in Revere Mass, which is about 10 minutes from Boston. There's a stretch of roadway leading into the airport that has a Four Points by Sheraton and a Hampton Inn. It's an industrial area, you wouldn't be walking to anything. I believe both offer free parking and a free shuttle to the airport for around $100 per night. Getting to the event would mean taking the shuttle to the airport and transfering to the Silver Line. If you are going to the Convention Center, you'd exit at the World Trade Center. If you're going to TD Garden, you'd need to stay on until South Station, where you'd then switch to the Red Line, then a few stops down where you'd make the switch to the Green Line.

I can tell you that I live in a suburb about 20 minutes north of Boston. We have a Holiday Inn Express, Red Roof Inn, Marriott Courtyard and those rates average in the $170 range per night. Basically, you might be saving a little bit, but then you have to factor in that there is a schedule for the commuter rail from many of the Boston suburbs or multiple bus and subway changes, which could cost you more in time and aggravation.

CoyoteChris
02-21-2013, 04:31 AM
I am not from Boston but I talked with people at Omaha from Boston2014 and it is my belief that the area is very safe. Plus you will be around a bunch of crazy skating fans and players on the streets with you. I worried about the mile walk from the arena to my Hotel in LA at Worlds 2009, but I was with 1,000 of my best friends....no worries...:)
Thinking of staying closer to Convention Center since I love to watch practices.
Is the area around the Convention Center fine to walk at night?

wit's end
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Chris, Do you think that it's important to buy into the shuttle bus service? I've been to Boston before but never to the US Championships so I appreciate the information you've been providing.

Tammi
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
The convention center area has seen a lot of growth over the past 10 years. There are new hotels, new private residences, corporate businesses, Art Museum, shops and restaurants. That being said, you are still in the city and should always be aware of your surroundings.

The shuttle will certainly be a convenience for many of those staying in the host hotels, especially if it's cold. Whether or not it's important, is really dependent on your own personal plans. The MBTA is available and fairly easy to navigate. I believe the current charge is $18 for a week of unlimited usage. There has been talk of bringing back late night service, but as of right now, the last trains on the subway are at about 12:30am (commuter rail out of North Station is about an hour earlier). If you are only attending events at the TD Garden, you could look at area accommodations and most likely walk back and forth. Of course taxi service is readily available as well.

UMBS Go Blue
02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Tammi is right on the money. If Boston isn't perfectly safe, let alone super-convenient from a public transit, or even a walking, perspective, then I don't know what is.

wit's end
02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm looking forward to my first ever nationals. My thanks to all for the information.

acraven
02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Chris, Do you think that it's important to buy into the shuttle bus service? I've been to Boston before but never to the US Championships so I appreciate the information you've been providing.

I attended the last Boston Nationals and used public transportation to get to main venue, then called the Fleet Center. I had no problems at all, though (I think I mentioned this in an earlier post) someone else found the T not as handicapped-accessible as she had been told it was.

Major plus for me: There used to be at least one good pizza-by-the-slice place located near the T stop nearest the main venue. Hope it's still there.

danceronice
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Except for certain aspects of the green line (make sure you're on the right train or you will wind up not where you intended) the T is not that difficult. It's not as clean or pretty or easily laid-out or, as acraven says, accessible as the DC Metro but it's reasonably safe (be smart, like any big city.) North Station is RIGHT at the center if it's at TD Banknorth (or whatever they call it these days) so it's easy access. If the weather is kind, it's an easy walk to the North End and lots of good Italian food. The place I can see shuttles being good is if the weather is crap, as it has been known to be.

Boston2014
02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
I attended the last Boston Nationals and used public transportation to get to main venue, then called the Fleet Center. I had no problems at all, though (I think I mentioned this in an earlier post) someone else found the T not as handicapped-accessible as she had been told it was.If you stayed in one of the official hotels the last time then you would have been on a direct line to North Station, which also houses the TD Garden, formerly the Fleet Center. Although the Seaport is physically closer to the TD Garden (less than 2 miles, so walkable for those without mobility issues), it is not on a direct line so using the T will require changing lines at least once. Spectators can play around with their T options by using the "Trip Planner" feature on the MBTA's web site (http://www.mbta.com/). Choose the "Landmarks" feature and then use either the Boston Convention Center or the World Trade Center as your origination point if you're staying in the Seaport distric, and TD Garden as your end point. The trip is about 30 minutes with a transfer - about the same amount of time it would take to walk. You could cab it in less than 10 minutes and $10.

There used to be at least one good pizza-by-the-slice place located near the T stop nearest the main venue. Hope it's still there.The TD Garden is in Boston's North End, which was heavily settled by Italian immigrants (those of us of a certain age may remember the Prince Spaghetti commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0dy3qvl6g) focusing on the North end) so there is no shortage of great pizza and other tasty food. :cheer:

You can read more about the North End (http://www.boston2014.com/neighborhoods/north-end/) on our web site. For those of you who may not have returned to our site since you bought tickets, we'd encourage you to do so as we are regularly adding articles about Boston neighborhoods as well as potential competitors for the event.

GarrAarghHrumph
02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Major plus for me: There used to be at least one good pizza-by-the-slice place located near the T stop nearest the main venue. Hope it's still there.

The Garden is right in the North End. There are about a zillion good pizza shops nearby. ;)

snoopysnake
02-21-2013, 10:50 PM
http://www.newtonboutiquehotel.com/transportation.shtml
is very close to the Riverside “D” branch of the Green Line, which should take you right into North Station where the TD Garden is. (If your train’s last stop turns out to be at Park Street or Government Center, just wait on the platform for a train marked North Station or Lechmere, and get off that train at North Station.)

This is a hotel in Braintree which may or may not have shuttle service to the Red Line in Quincy or Braintree. You would have to ride the Red Line to get to the Green Line. I’d advise calling the hotel to find out. There is an airport shuttle station close by to this hotel.
http://www.braintree.place.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-braintree-place/place/services.jsp

I do NOT recommend that you use the Motel 6 in Braintree which is walking distance from the Braintree Red Line station. This particular Motel 6 has a bad reputation for drug activity and other crime.

Smiley0884
02-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Funny, I've lived in the north end for the past five years, and never really thought of it as actually in the north end, more on the outskirts! It's located pretty much right in the middle of the West end and North end, so there's a lot of options for places to eat. It's probably easier to get to the restaurants in the West End/Beacon hill just because the streets are wider and less crowded than the north end. But if you're dead set on North end pizza, Regina's or Pushcart are both delicious. The heart of the north end is only a 10 minute walk from the Garden. There's also a good selection of bar/restaurants directly across from the Garden that serve traditional American sports bar type of food. Oh, and if you want Mike's Pastries, go early in the morning, as that's usually the only time there's not a mile long line out the door :scream: I like modern pastry better, but they have a smaller selection than mike's. Also, don't forget about Bova's pastry shop...open 24 hours a day!

As far as hotels, I agree with those who say official is the best option for the price being offered. It's such a fantastic deal, and taking public transit to the city from the suburbs can be a pain at times. The easiest places to stay outside of the city are probably Revere, Somerville, Cambridge, ect.

TanithandBenFan
02-22-2013, 05:12 AM
I like Modern Pastry better than Mike's, too. :) And I second the recommendation for Pizzeria Regina - YUM! I love everything about the North End. I've never seen it during winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to heading over there during Nats!

Tammi
02-24-2013, 04:34 AM
For those fans still looking at hotel options, the Marriott Long Wharf has just been added as an official hotel for 2014 ($179), http://www.boston2014.com/visitor-info/hotels/ . It's in a great location, especially for those looking to walk around and do some sightseeing.

CoyoteChris
02-24-2013, 05:46 AM
I am considering it but after talking with Susan, I think I will continue to stay at the Seaport ($159) near my friends at the Westin. Susan is such a treasure. She patiently answers all my questions. The MBTA is really a very friendly system once you study it. It costs $18 a week and the buses and trains run frequently. It is probably much better than the fan shuttle which will, I am guessing, run $100 to $200. The buses and trains run roughly every 5 to 9 minutes and the bus from the WTC to South station goes through an underground tunnel and only takes four minutes. Then its two short train rides to the TD gardens. Susan also said this Silver line bus runs from the WTC to the airport for free. Now its time to go back planning for worlds.
For those fans still looking at hotel options, the Marriott Long Wharf has just been added as an official hotel for 2014 ($179), http://www.boston2014.com/visitor-info/hotels/ . It's in a great location, especially for those looking to walk around and do some sightseeing.