PDA

View Full Version : Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

UMBS Go Blue
10-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Boston's "T" is awesome and super convenient but unfortunately the official hotels aren't close to any of the rail stationsActually, they're directly above the Silver Line stations.

TanithandBenFan
10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Actually, they're directly above the Silver Line stations.

Are there trains on the Silver line now? I thought it was just buses.

UMBS Go Blue
10-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Is there a problem with riding buses as opposed to trains, even if the bus functions as a de facto train line?

They're special, dedicated buses that run as a train line. Underneath the official WTC/Seaport area hotels, the Silver Line is an underground tunnel that's even newer, nicer, and more secure (lots of video cameras) than a typical Boston subway station; the only difference is that buses run in it, not trains. At the World Trade Center station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_(MBTA_station)), for example, you enter the station through turnstiles like you would for a train, pay the train fare (a few cents more expensive than the normal bus fare), descend into the station underneath, board the bus, and then it takes you to South Station (1-2 stops down, or a 5 minute walk away), where you connect directly onto Red Line trains (one direct flight of stairs).

The Silver Line then emerges above ground to drive from downtown, through the third harbor tunnel, and directly to the door of each airline terminal at Logan. Currently, the Silver Line is free if you jump on it at the airport heading into downtown. Once it gets downtown (a 10 minute trip), it dives back into the dedicated tunnel that runs underneath the official hotels (as mentioned above). Although the free offer may not last until 2014, there is plenty of room for baggage on the Silver Line cars, and at about $2 it beats a $15-20 taxi from the airport.

I've done this many times and it is perfectly safe with many solo travelers (female included) using it as an easy way to get to the Seaport/WTC area, and to get to/from the airport faster than the Blue Line.

Tammi
10-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Are there trains on the Silver line now? I thought it was just buses.The Silver line are buses that go above or underground. It just depends on the area. From the World Trade Center to South Station (where you would switch over) it's all underground.

TanithandBenFan
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Is there a problem with riding buses as opposed to trains, even if the bus functions as a de facto train line?

They're special, dedicated buses that run as a train line. Underneath the official WTC/Seaport area hotels, the Silver Line is an underground tunnel that's even newer, nicer, and more secure (lots of video cameras) than a typical Boston subway station; the only difference is that buses run in it, not trains. At the World Trade Center station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_(MBTA_station)), for example, you enter the station through turnstiles like you would for a train, pay the train fare (a few cents more expensive than the normal bus fare), descend into the station underneath, board the bus, and then it takes you to South Station (1-2 stops down, or a 5 minute walk away), where you connect directly onto Red Line trains (one direct flight of stairs).

The Silver Line then emerges above ground to drive from downtown, through the third harbor tunnel, and directly to the door of each airline terminal at Logan. Currently, the Silver Line is free if you jump on it at the airport heading into downtown. Once it gets downtown (a 10 minute trip), it dives back into the dedicated tunnel that runs underneath the official hotels (as mentioned above). Although the free offer may not last until 2014, there is plenty of room for baggage on the Silver Line cars, and at about $2 it beats a $15-20 taxi from the airport.

I've done this many times and it is perfectly safe with many solo travelers (female included) using it as an easy way to get to the Seaport/WTC area, and to get to/from the airport faster than the Blue Line.

I didn't know the buses went underground. I was just thinking that standing out in the weather waiting for a bus might not be fun if it's freezing cold/snowing. To get to the arena, we'd have to transfer at Park Street from the Red line to the Green line, right?

UMBS Go Blue
10-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Or transfer from Red Line at Downtown Crossing to the Orange Line, either way.

Depending on which hotel you're staying at, there could even be a direct entryway into the nearest Silver Line station that would keep you 100% sheltered at all times.

Assuming you board at World Trade Center station, the steps would be:

1) Take Silver Line towards South Station (or just walk 5 minutes to South Station; equivalent to waiting 5-10 minutes at WTC station)
2) Transfer at South Station to the Red Line in the Alewife direction
3a) Take Red Line to Downtown Crossing, transfer onto Orange Line in the Oak Grove direction
3b) Or take Red Line to Park Street, transfer onto Green Line in the E - Lechmere or C - North Station (but not B-/D- Government Center) direction
4) Get off either Orange Line or Green Line at North Station, which is directly underneath TD Garden

heckles
10-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Perhaps my letter to USFSA below will solve the complaints we hear annually about venue locations.

“Dear US Figure Skating Association,

Every year, I enjoy Nationals and appreciate the efforts of the staff and volunteers that put their time and energies into making it the highlight of my year. Everything you do is great, and I don't want you to change anything.

But I was wondering if you could change everything to make it super-great for me. Could we have Nationals on the freakin’ moon? Hear me out. I know it sounds crazy, because it is. But what if it wasn't crazy, which isn't an option because it so totally is.

We could make going compulsory, for every skating fan. Since there are 7 billion people on the planet, we could wrangle up about 70 million people into attending. I propose a military coup. They still do that, right?

Instead of flying in a panel of judges to the moon, one skating fan in the audience will be chosen at random to judge all the events for all days. Because this is very hard, the judge would also be forcibly given large doses of crystal meth to stay awake. This would cut costs. Don’t worry; your girl Nicole Bobek will supply the crank.

Also, instead of concessions and hospitality, we’ll have inhospitality where there would be no food, and anyone who complained would be shot dead and served as the next meal. Kinda like soylent green, except with a horrifying new take on it. At least no snooty people will be offended by skating fans eating--gasp!-- hamburgers!

In order to fund the initial rocket ride, I say that the leadership of USFSA organize a coup de grace in a poorer country and force those people into slavery. I know that proposing slavery is a little retro, but it's totally cool. Is anyone using Guam right now? That might be a good place!

Hope to hear from you regarding my ideas,

Heckles"

What do you think? Did I miss anything?

Carolla5501
10-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Just think how HIGH the jumps will be in zero gravity!

However, looking at the official hotels for this event has me scratching my head. Guess I will be trying to book 12 months out. I would prefer something more downtown then they are offering.

CoyoteChris
10-27-2012, 03:23 AM
However, looking at the official hotels for this event has me scratching my head. Guess I will be trying to book 12 months out. I would prefer something more downtown then they are offering.
Sometimes, the number of official event hotels goes up! (Wink wink, nod nod, say no more.......;)
Now the following is just me talkin' . Think about it. We have three official hotels that have agreed to allow a $159 stay fee, knowing they will have lots of folks staying there. One is saved for skaters and
families, etc. Can the other two take up the slack for everyone else? Will other hotels in the area smell blood (money) in the water and agree to the low stay fee? What would you do if you were a hotel manager?
You sign up for the low rate and you instantly become a stop on the official shuttle route, giving you a big jump over your competition for the overflow. I predict there will indeed be an overflow from the existing official hotels.
There is lots of pent up demand on the upper east coast, this will by an Oly season, and Boston isnt that far from lots of folks with bucks. Spokane 2010 had a good attendance and it didnt even have the junior nats
associated with it. I predict there will be other hotels signing up for official status before the dust has cleared.
BTW, I LOVE those MT instructions!!!! I dont think I could do that sober...
1) Take Silver Line towards South Station (or just walk 5 minutes to South Station; equivalent to waiting 5-10 minutes at WTC station)
2) Transfer at South Station to the Red Line in the Alewife direction
3a) Take Red Line to Downtown Crossing, transfer onto Orange Line in the Oak Grove direction
3b) Or take Red Line to Park Street, transfer onto Green Line in the E - Lechmere or C - North Station (but not B-/D- Government Center) direction
4) Get off either Orange Line or Green Line at North Station, which is directly underneath TD Garden

heckles
10-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Just think how HIGH the jumps will be in zero gravity!

Good, glad you can see the pure genius of my idea. I shall start my "Moon 2016" organizing committee.

jamesy
10-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Good, glad you can see the pure genius of my idea. I shall start my "Moon 2016" organizing committee.
I can't wait to read the complaints about the [space] shuttles.

overedge
10-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to read the complaints about the [space] shuttles.

Or the small size of the rooms at the official host base.

Seriously, Boston and the surrounding communities have tons of hotels, and Boston's public transit system (especially the T train) is awesome. I don't think not being able to stay at a host hotel is that much of a tragedy.

heckles
10-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Guests will lodge in the moon's craters. Some of the big ones are more than 50 km wide. Even a member of Johnny's Angels could stay in one of those comfortably.

Carolla5501
10-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Seriously, Boston and the surrounding communities have tons of hotels, and Boston's public transit system (especially the T train) is awesome. I don't think not being able to stay at a host hotel is that much of a tragedy.

Yeah, I am looking at hotels in the area and will try to start booking this winter. Most of them won't book more then 12 or 13 months in advance so.... If the Organizing committee comes up with something better I can always change hotels. (I won't book anything via either method that can't be cancelled... a lot can happen between now and then :) )

CoyoteChris
10-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I am looking at hotels in the area and will try to start booking this winter. Most of them won't book more then 12 or 13 months in advance so.... If the Organizing committee comes up with something better I can always change hotels. (I won't book anything via either method that can't be cancelled... a lot can happen between now and then :) )
Yes, the cancellation policys will be interesting....I have no problem if they are up to one month in advance. I have a problem with events that wont let you cancel at all. Things happen. Buying the tickets is a pretty good sign of good faith intentions.
Omaha is fair.