PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

FSfan107
06-04-2012, 03:49 AM
I personally hope Davis and White end up going with Igor to wherever it is he is going to coach.

a56
06-04-2012, 03:51 AM
It would be justice if the ice dance program at Canton collapsed and the top teams left after Shpilband's departure. They'd deserve it too, for being so shortsighted. Coaches stay on for the rest of their careers, whereas V/M and D/W will probably retire after the Olympics in less than two years.

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Well this could be an interesting experiment in whether D/W or V/M will be able to continue their dominance on their own, without the Marina/Igor duo.

For all that the rink directors talk about the 3 teams not wanting Igor, we don't have direct quotes from the skaters themselves. Could the directors lie about that?

PairSk8Fan
06-04-2012, 03:55 AM
It seems to me that Marina got him fired.

bmcg
06-04-2012, 03:55 AM
I personally hope Davis and White end up going with Igor to wherever it is he is going to coach.

Sounds like he may be hoping for that as well.

What a perfect time for V&M to go somewhere new but I fear they will feel more than ever loyal to Marina.

Macassar88
06-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Sounds like he may be hoping for that as well.

What a perfect time for V&M to go somewhere new but I fear they will feel more than ever loyal to Marina.

Perfect time for them to go to Krylova and Camerlengo! But we all know that that's not gonna happen

Aussie Willy
06-04-2012, 03:56 AM
I am with others that there is a lot more to do with this than just because teams didn't want to work with him any more. Maybe the teams were threatening to leave and the rink didn't want them to go. Ends being one or the other.

Anyway it is the most drama in the skating world for a while. Who would have thought?

cailuj365
06-04-2012, 03:58 AM
I feel like there's a much larger story here than just Marina's dissatisfaction.

Twizzler
06-04-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm still shaking my head over the timing. When was the last time something came out on a Sunday?

Pretty sure that Igor is an avid boater. Maybe he was out on his boat all weekend and the rink managers insisted on a meeting as soon as possible to avoid an issue when everyone is back to training on Monday. Certainly easier to fire him with only rink management around as opposed to doing it when all the teams and other coaches around.

carriemarie
06-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Well this could be an interesting experiment in whether D/W or V/M will be able to continue their dominance on their own, without the Marina/Igor duo.

For all that the rink directors talk about the 3 teams not wanting Igor, we don't have direct quotes from the skaters themselves. Could the directors lie about that?

I agree, seems fishy...In my experience, rink managers are not the sharpest pencils in the box...I am sure he is only reporting what he has been told- and I am sure we will have a clearer picture when the skaters start talking...I'm surprised there is not an inappropriate Scott M. sound bite out there yet...

aka_gerbil
06-04-2012, 04:00 AM
I feel like there's a much larger story here than just Marina's dissatisfaction.

So do I. I don't think it's just Marina or just the skaters. My guess is that what's come out tonight is only the tip of the iceberg.

dots
06-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Well, it is his job. Did the Russian fed offered him tons of $$$ to coach their team exclusively? Konspiracy? There has to be much much more to the story.

Apparently this is the rumor doing the rounds, but I have to say the chances of this happening are 0%. There is no way he would throw everything he has work for (pretty much an empire) for just a quick buck. Imo people will be lining up like vultures on a dead corpse, so I expect to hear many different stories before we actually know the real truth.

However the fact that (the rink) management was involved is a serious red flag. This usually happens when something is seriously wrong. Think of that dance couple were the male broke his partner's arm (or was it leg?) in a fit of rage. He pretty much threw her around like a rag doll. :eek:

I really hope it's Marina being a witch and backstabbing Igor, because otherwise... :slinkaway

flowerpower

Yes, especially since issues were supposedly reported to USFS a month ago (as per the article).

carriemarie

I was expecting some kind of announcement like this coming out of DSC not Canton...

bmcg
It seems to me that Marina got him fired.

Igor's latest quotes certainly give that impression. However it's also stated in the article that the USFSA has been aware of the situation for about a month now so I have to wonder how much Igor is trying to cover his own ass right now. The reason I say that is because Igor is the American citizen, he is the one who marches with team USA in the Olympics and wears their jacket. If the USFSA knew about this for a month and Igor seemed more "USA USA" then Marina why let him be the one who gets fired if it's just a tiff between the two coaches. If Igor is more valuable and the skaters are happy with him then you would think logically Marina is the one shown the door. Only the opposite seems to have happened.