PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68]

cruisin
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
What kind of stake does Marina have to make the rink management to give Igor the boot?

That is pretty much what we are all wondering and shocked by.

As for the rink, Igor might not be pleasant to deal with etc (never met the guy) but the fact that the rink thinks its in their best interest to keep the top skaters, rather than the coach who has a history of developing the top skaters, kind of says it all about the rink... Its not like saying it would be better long term for a rink to keep Kwan for a little bit while, rather than to have Frank. Here's a fact, Michelle retired, and Frank coached more champs.

I have met Igor, and he is the definition of arrogant. So, I can see where he would be tough to deal with on a daily basis. But, I completely agree with your post.

Well G/G never really got hurt dumping their coaches of course though they added other good technical coaches. V/M, D/W might be far ahead technically where it won't matter. Plus feds do politiking too.. Shibs though..:lol:

But, I can't think of any other coach who has had the level and longevity of successful politicking that Igor has. I think that many of Igor's teams were over marked and given unfair advantage, but he got the job done. Marina does not have that level of politicking.

Well that was what I was hitting at with the Shibs. Although I'm not sure sticking with Igor would change much.

I think the Shibs are going to have a whole different problem. As good as they are, and as technically fantastic as they are, they suffer with the brother/sister curse. It is inevitable that the sibling factor will hurt them. There is just so much music/choreographic style that they can't touch, because of their relationship. It hurt the Kerrs too. Brother and sister teams seem to do well and get scored fairly when they are younger, but as they get older, many judges just don't feel comfortable with it. And the limits on romantic music/choreography put them at a disadvantage. It's unfortunate, but it's there.

allezfred
06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I think the Shibs are going to have a whole different problem. As good as they are, and as technically fantastic as they are, they suffer with the brother/sister curse.

Nah, they suffer with the crap programmes curse. :P

Anyway, time to close this thread. Feel free to start a new one anybody.