PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68

sap5
06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
It is a breech of ethics to take on a student without the student notifying the current coach, before you start teaching them.

Marina didn't take the students away from Igor, as she was already their coach. According to story told by rink management, Igor stopped coaching his students (he wasn't there for the top three teams anymore). The breach of PSA ethics argument doesn't really apply here.

attyfan
06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Kudos, Vagabond!

AJ Skatefan
06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Vagabond! That's the most brilliant thing I've read in a long time. :kickass:

kwanette
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I’d be preachin’ to the choirs,
Conferrin’ with the Moirs
Knowin’ what to think
And my team I’d be staffin’
And programs choreographin’
If I only had a rink

I’d unravel any puzzle
For any pair or cuzzle
In trouble or in pain

(Tanith)
Everyone would be droolin’
Comparing you to Zhulin
If you only had a rink

(Shpilband)
Oh, I would tell you why
Marina’s such a bore
I could coach some teams I never coached before
And then I’d skate and coach some more

I would not be just a nuffin’
Feelin’ like a week-old muffin
Not knowin’ what to think
I would dance and so would Meryl
Life would be a ding-a-derryl
If I only had a rink!

:fragile:

Bravo!

Asli
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Marina didn't take the students away from Igor, as she was already their coach. According to story told by rink management, Igor stopped coaching his students (he wasn't there for the top three teams anymore).

When did he have time to "stop coaching his students" though? The Worlds ended on April 1st, at which time Shpilband was still considered the second coming. It has been less than two months and a half. I think "the kids" have toured for at least three weeks in May and they have been on holiday for two weeks.

Which leaves about five weeks during which Shpilband is supposed to have forsaken his students. Let us say that for whatever reason, he could not, or did not work with them at all during this time. Let us say that after working for more than twenty years with a dozen top teams at a time, for whatever reason he has been negligent for a few weeks. Can this be a valid reason to fire a coach who has been the top US dance coach for more than twenty years, who has literally invented US ice dance, and who is currently the top ice dance coach in the world? :confused:

Couldn't another coach have been called in to fill in the gap? It's not like noone wants to work with the world and olympic champions!

I can't believe I'm defending Shpilband, my least favorite coach! :lol:

cruisin
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Marina didn't take the students away from Igor, as she was already their coach. According to story told by rink management, Igor stopped coaching his students (he wasn't there for the top three teams anymore). The breach of PSA ethics argument doesn't really apply here.

Yes, she did. Whether she was teaching them or not, they left Igor without telling him. He found out via a public announcement from the rink management. Cowardly at best, unethical in reality. I do have trouble believing that the skaters were aware of what was actually going on, since they were away. though it could have been planned that way to keep them away from it. And why believe the rink management story? I think there is way more to this than what they have put out there. If we believe them, we have to believe that the skaters were complicit.

When did he have time to "stop coaching his students" though? The Worlds ended on April 1st, at which time Shpilband was still considered the second coming. It has been less than two months and a half. I think "the kids" have toured for at least three weeks in May and they have been on holiday for two weeks.

Which leaves about five weeks during which Shpilband is supposed to have forsaken his students. Let us say that for whatever reason, he could not, or did not work with them at all during this time. Let us say that after working for more than twenty years with a dozen top teams at a time, for whatever reason he has been negligent for a few weeks. Can this be a valid reason to fire a coach who has been the top US dance coach for more than twenty years, who has literally invented US ice dance, and who is currently the top ice dance coach in the world? :confused:

Couldn't another coach have been called in to fill in the gap? It's not like noone wants to work with the world and olympic champions!

I can't believe I'm defending Shpilband, my least favorite coach! :lol:

Agree, it doesn't make sense. On any level.

sap5
06-12-2012, 01:56 AM
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that none of us know what really happened.

That is not how it works. Igor and Marina are independent contractors. That is what their contract is. If he did not violate anything in that contract, there would be no reason to fire him. Now, his position as dance director is different, and they certainly could fire him from that position. But, to take away his privileges, was (in my opinion, based on what we have been told) unreasonable. The PSA exists for many reasons, one is to protect coaches from having other coaches solicit their students. It is a breech of ethics to take on a student without the student notifying the current coach, before you start teaching them. This situation sounds more like a problem between coaches and skaters, that is a PSA problem to resolve. The rink should not have gotten into it. The rink certainly should not have made the statements they did.

We don't know that Igor didn't somehow violate his contract. I'm guessing that he did, because otherwise the rink would be in a precarious legal position. I doubt Igor would leave without a fight if he thought he could stay.

Igor could have stopped coaching his students months ago. After all, the article said that "this has been going on for a couple of months," so if the article is right, then he started becoming less available for his top teams before Worlds.

Yes, she did. Whether she was teaching them or not, they left Igor without telling him. He found out via a public announcement from the rink management. Cowardly at best, unethical in reality. I do have trouble believing that the skaters were aware of what was actually going on, since they were away. though it could have been planned that way to keep them away from it. And why believe the rink management story? I think there is way more to this than what they have put out there. If we believe them, we have to believe that the skaters were complicit.

I didn't say that I believed the rink management story. I just said that is what they said.

If the skaters weren't complicit, then they didn't really leave Igor without telling him. They just showed up and were told that he was fired. If that is true, then Marina didn't take the skaters away from Igor without telling him -- she got them because Igor was fired by rink management, and the skaters chose to stay with her.

Who knows what to believe?

cruisin
06-12-2012, 02:02 AM
We don't know that Igor didn't somehow violate his contract. I'm guessing that he did, because otherwise the rink would be in a precarious legal position. I doubt Igor would leave without a fight if he thought he could stay.

But, if what rink management said is true. Igor did nothing to violate any rink or club contract I've ever seen.

If the skaters weren't complicit, then they didn't really leave Igor without telling him. They just showed up and were told that he was fired. If that is true, then Marina didn't take the skaters away from Igor without telling him -- she got them because Igor was fired by rink management, and the skaters chose to stay with her.

Who knows what to believe?

But, even if the rink did push Igor out, he is still the kids coach. They can't just leave him without notification.

ballettmaus
06-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Yes, she did. Whether she was teaching them or not, they left Igor without telling him. He found out via a public announcement from the rink management.

Was that before or after the talk he (was supposed to have) had with Davis/White? I just wonder if the students can have left him before he was fired as he was still their coach and I somehow doubt he was clueless after he talked to Davis/White. And I also doubt that they wouldn't have let him know.
I know, those are only two skaters of a whole bunch but at this point, I think there's a bunch of speculation, unfortunately, probably even lies, in all those reports and the real story seems to be buried somewhere where those not involved won't find it.

I agree with those who say it doesn't make sense at all! And the more that gets reported, the more it seems to get confusing.

cruisin
06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
According to igor's comments in the article, it happened before the talk with D/W.

And FTR, I (like Asli) don't much care for Igor. So, I also can't believe I'm defending him. But, this just feels wrong.

bek
06-12-2012, 04:17 AM
According to igor's comments in the article, it happened before the talk with D/W.

And FTR, I (like Asli) don't much care for Igor. So, I also can't believe I'm defending him. But, this just feels wrong.

It does feel wrong, but I feel strongly that he's going to have the last laugh. (Not necessarily with the skaters but long term)

I'm just shocked the rink think its in their long term best interests to keep the top skaters and not the coach who created their program...

girlscouse62
06-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Igor said that he spoke with T/S weeks ago. So something was known, but not specified. But from T/S press release they didn't seem to understand that Igor and Marina were going to split up

Anjelica
06-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Igor is a wonderful coach and choreographer. However I am not in the least surprised by this news or these problems with the top teams. History repeats itself, Igor typically tires of his top teams after they have 'peaked' and moves on to devote his time to the up and comers. This has been his pattern for many years. I agree with bek, Igor will have the last laugh out of this, we have only to look back at when he split with his coaching partner Liz Coates and see what happened after that. Igor will be fine in the long run.

Dragonlady
06-12-2012, 04:55 AM
I remember when Tarasova and Morosov controlled ice-dance and worked with every team on the podium either with coaching or choreography. After they split and each went their own way, neither achieved the level of success they had working together.

I can see something like that happening here.

kwanfan1818
06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I don't the Tarasova/Morozov team is analogous, because neither were stellar technical coaches, although Morozov's singles skaters stroking and blade efficiency improve, and neither is a developmental coach. Neither has really collaborated once they split what was a mentorship-based relationship.

Shpilband is a technical and developmental coach, and he's collaborated and team taught for most, if not all, of his coaching career. Even after he split with Liz Coates, he wasn't poison to other coaches. My question is whether Zoueva will be able to repeat her success without him, because I don't see her hiring a technical coach she won't dominate.