PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mollymgr
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Of all the times for Scott Moir to be politically correct. :P

Moir's political correctness is inversely proportional to how upset he is about a given situation. Maybe this isn't enough to rile him up :shuffle:

PRlady
06-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Moir's political correctness is inversely proportional to how upset he is about a given situation. Maybe this isn't enough to rile him up :shuffle:

That press release was written by someone like me who knows the art of saying nothing. No use trying to parse it, there's nothing there. :)

overedge
06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Just an FYI, coaches call their adult skaters kids all of the time. It's like parents will ask where are the kids, even if their "kids" are in their 30's. Many times the coaches get the skaters when they are actually kids, the name sticks. They don't actually think the adults are kids, they just say it out of habit.

That doesn't mean it's appropriate. I know many coaches who think it more respectful of their older skaters' maturity and experience to call them something other than "kids".

cruisin
06-09-2012, 05:08 PM
That press release was written by someone like me who knows the art of saying nothing. No use trying to parse it, there's nothing there. :)

Yeah, pretty much what I said. They are told what to say by their federations.

That doesn't mean it's appropriate. I know many coaches who think it more respectful of their older skaters' maturity and experience to call them something other than "kids".

Are you serious? Do you just pick on things I say for the sake of picking? Get over yourself, please.

The Accordion
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Or it is affected by the amount of time that has passed between learning something and being interviewed. This wasn't like a competition where he finds out something and is then interviewed immediately. Everyone - except the rink manager it seems - has carefully planned out their statements and made them on their own time.

overedge
06-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Are you serious? Do you just pick on things I say for the sake of picking? Get over yourself, please.

When you present something as "all" that isn't the case for "all", pointing that out is not "picking".

kwanfan1818
06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Sadya, that reminds me my German lessons from when I was 10. All I remember is "what is in the bag?". :lol:

The only phrase I remember from Hebrew day camp is, "I am sitting under the tree."

barbk
06-09-2012, 05:43 PM

I love the "they learned" -- very, very artfully worded.

Where are the Russian "let it all hang out" folks when you really want them? :D

cruisin
06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
When you present something as "all" that isn't the case for "all", pointing that out is not "picking".

Then I'll assume your reading skills are at fault. I did not say that all coaches do it. I said it happens all of the time, which it does. Pointing out, that you nit pick on the most trivial things.

overedge
06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Then I'll assume your reading skills are at fault. I did not say that all coaches do it. I said it happens all of the time, which it does.

Because it happens "all of the time" in your experience doesn't mean that it happens "all of the time" in everyone's experience. IME the only skaters who get called "kids" are the skaters that actually are "kids".

And I think the choice of descriptive words is rather telling in terms of the type of the relationships that the skaters have with their coaches. Calling the skaters "kids" suggests to me a rather hierarchical relationship and an unequal distribution of power.

cruisin
06-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Because it happens "all of the time" in your experience doesn't mean that it happens "all of the time" in everyone's experience. IME the only skaters who get called "kids" are the skaters that actually are "kids".

And I think the choice of descriptive words is rather telling in terms of the type of the relationships that the skaters have with their coaches. Calling the skaters "kids" suggests to me a rather hierarchical relationship and an unequal distribution of power.

First, since we're discussing it here, with regard to other skaters, it is not just my experience. Second, you are over thinking this, with regard to hierarchal relationships. Third, do you have a son, daughter, or both? When they are over the age of 18 will you refer to them as your adults or will you call them your kids. My kids are 25 and 27, they will always be my kids. Many parents, teachers, coaches, feel that way. It is not derogatory, in any way. If you want it to be, for you, knock yourself out. You are very easily offended. Not my problem. My problem is that I let you suck me in. I must try not to let that happen. :)

pani
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Yes, D-W and S-S are really political correct, when they asked Shpilband will be fired from this runk and stay with Marina :lol:
But yes, even in this situation Moir is a devil and Davis is an angel :D

mollymgr
06-09-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0BtZBWO5g

Marina's last words in this video: Business is business!!!. It would be crazy if Igor built another powerhouse in due time, making it 3 big ice dance camps in the same area. I wonder when this video was made.

Mevrouw
06-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, pretty much what I said. They are told what to say by their federations. Are you serious? Do you just pick on things I say for the sake of picking? Get over yourself, please.

Then I'll assume your reading skills are at fault. I did n..................., which it does. Pointing out, that you nit pick on the most trivial things.

Because it happens "all of the time" in your experi.................who get called "kids" are the skaters that actually are "kids".

And I think the choice of descriptive words is rather telling in terms of the type of the relatio....................her hierarchical relationship and an unequal distribution of power.

First, since we're discussing it here, with regard to other skaters, it is not just my experience. Second, you are over thinking this,......... for you, knock yourself out. You are very easily offended. Not my problem. My problem is that I let you suck me in. I must try not to let that happen. :)

I don't suppose there's any chance you could take it to PM, please?

feraina
06-09-2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0BtZBWO5g

Marina's last words in this video: Business is business!!!. It would be crazy if Igor built another powerhouse in due time, making it 3 big ice dance camps in the same area. I wonder when this video was made.

Not just that, but Igor looked a little nervous/uncomfortable just after she said that! :shuffle: