PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

TanithandBenFan
06-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Of all the times for Scott Moir to be politically correct. :P

operagirl
06-09-2012, 07:24 AM
It's not just the skaters. Most of the US ski team speaks German.

sadya
06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
It is true what someone here remarked, that in Europe you are more exposed to different languages. We even have tv in different languages here in Holland.

I don't watch all channels, but aside Dutch channels, we have the BBC from Great Britain, we have National Geographic and Discovery Channel in English, I think we still receive CNN, I used to watch NBC Superchannel in the 90's regularly, because they often showed pro skating which Eurosport didn't show, we have various German channels, we also receive an Italian channel, Turkish channels, a French channel.

It's true that if you use a language often, you remember it. When you don't, you forget most of it.

Another problem is that in school you mostly learn a different language in a way which isn't very user friendly. I do remember we learnt telling our names and where we come from. That's useful enough. However, during the rest of the lessons we learnt sentenses like 'the strawberries are red', 'the bike is mine', 'The weather is fine', 'I like you, he likes you, we both like you', 'that is a doll, the doll is there', 'when he goes home he is at/in home' (choose the correct answer), 'I buy a book, she buys a book, we buy a book together', 'Look, there is a mountain. It is far away/close by' (choose the correct answer). Etc. etc.

Most of these phrases aren't used in daily language. Some are used of course to learn grammar, but still, they could have come up with better stuff in most cases. I learnt French in school, forgot most after dropping it, years later I lived in France for some time, I didn't understand most of it. Remembering to say 'the strawberries are red' wasn't helpful in daily life in France.

So it depends on the method of learning a language and it depends on how much you use it in daily life. Some people learn a language without taking lessons, they simply try to talk to people in that language and then slowly pick it up.

hanca
06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Sadya, that reminds me my German lessons from when I was 10. All I remember is "what is in the bag?". :lol:

DORISPULASKI
06-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't remember much of the German I took in school, and I can't say the phrases I learned were of overwhelming usefulness:

I like Bratwurst better?

Are you going to the library?

What are you doing after church, Walter, are you going for a walk?

the only useful ones were

That's too bad

and a number of songs suitable to be sung in beerhalls.

Zemgirl
06-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to learn English at a young age, but I took French at school in the US every day for two years and it was useless. All I remember is that my teacher had a basket of old baguettes hanging on the wall and everyone had a dreadful accent. On a good day, I can read skating articles in French and understand most of what's written. That's about it.

Back on topic, someone wrote upthread that Igor is temporarily in Ann Arbor - is it known who he's working with there? I'd be interested to know which (if any) of the lower ranked teams have gone with him.

skatemommy
06-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Am I correct to assume no word from Chock/Bates? Samuelson trains in Ann Arbor, but as mentioned before these are not "kids" (although they often handle these situations better than the adults...)

pani
06-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Am I correct to assume no word from Chock/Bates? Samuelson trains in Ann Arbor, but as mentioned before these are not "kids" (although they often handle these situations better than the adults...)

I think they are on vacation now. And C-B listed in USA team list. So even if i wish to see S-B together again, look, like this never will happened :(

cruisin
06-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I didn't know Meryl could speak Russian, btw.

She may not. She has Russian speaking coaches, who may have taught her a few phrases to say in the Kiss and Cry.

Another problem is that in school you mostly learn a different language in a way which isn't very user friendly. I do remember we learnt telling our names and where we come from. That's useful enough. However, during the rest of the lessons we learnt sentenses like 'the strawberries are red',...

Very true. My first year of Spanish was dialog based. We learned conversations. It was thought that this would be a better method of learning, but, as you said, it is hard to apply those conversations to real life. Then, we learned Spanish in a more grammar/vocabulary based method. We would learn verbs and all conjugations - present, preterite, conditional, future, etc. By my junior year in high school, we were reading novels. We wrote essays. So, we really did learn to speak the language. My kids learned more like you did. If the situation called for "the strawberries are red" they were golden. If they had to say the strawberries were red, they had a problem.

Just an FYI, coaches call their adult skaters kids all of the time. It's like parents will ask where are the kids, even if their "kids" are in their 30's. Many times the coaches get the skaters when they are actually kids, the name sticks. They don't actually think the adults are kids, they just say it out of habit.

agalisgv
06-09-2012, 01:46 PM
We even have tv in different languages here in Holland. We have that in the US as well. Several channels in Spanish, and depending on where you live, there are Mandarin channels, Korean channels, Cantonese channels, Russian channels, Farsi programming, etc.

That's usually with cable tv though.

skatemommy
06-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, I call my students kids; but this was the rink manager...which I find a little creepy (as are the rest of his statements).

cruisin
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes, I call my students kids; but this was the rink manager...which I find a little creepy (as are the rest of his statements).

Ahh, on that, I agree!

kia_4EverOnIce
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree with the fact that learning languages with all these unuseful sentences is not good at all (although is true that they're useful for learning grammar) - at school I studied German (3years), French (another 3 years) and English (8 years). However, of all these, the only language I can say I really learnt thanks to school is French: I had a wonderful teacher and she really made us learn it well.
I think another advantage for Europeans is that it is a lot easier to go and do full immersion directly in another country - I did a couple of English courses in UK as a teenager; and during university there was the Erasmus (an exchange programme) that allowed me living in Germany.

Figure skaters, and atlethes in general - also travel a lot, that helps in learning at least some basic sentences in different languages.

It's not just the skaters. Most of the US ski team speaks German.

It'd be quite a lonely experience during the ski world cup, if you don't speak German ;)

However, I guess the main point is that if you're a native English speaker, you don't really need another language (unless some specific fields, or personal culture/interest) - and now that I'm living in the UK, I had this discussion with some British colleagues and they all agreed that, although they'd like to know more languages, they don't really have such a strong motivation.

Back to the topic, I don't believe at all these happened because of the kid - if nothing, at least because the news from Skate Canada says that V&M were away six weeks (SoI + vacation): how could the "kids" protest, if they weren't there (assuming also D&W were on tour)? somewhere else they said problems were notified to USFSA at the beginning of May... So, IMO either it was going on since a lot more time or it just all developed why skaters were not there...

meierfan
06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Has this been posted yet?

"Olympic Champions Virtue and Moir Confirm Plans for 2012-2013 Season" (http://skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=fe7d6a0d-6deb-4056-8575-731daafe2915)

It's at least some kind of statement...

Hedwig
06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I am guessing that the rink management did not want fans to get mad at them for firing a successful coach like Igor, so they said the skaters did not want him. He wanted the heat off himself and thought that fans will not get mad at the skaters, no matter what.

Why exactly would a rink manager care about whether or not skating fans are mad at them?
This is the idea that is probably the furthest from the truth whatever the truth is.