PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

FunnyBut
06-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Per the article, Marina states that Igor wanted to work 'exclusively' with the 2 new teams...as in not work with D/W, V/M and Shibs AT ALL? How can that be?

Where is our :sekret:? Please come out now and tell us the real meat of the story!

LilJen
06-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Wow. I haven't been able to get much past "holy crap" when it comes to processing this.

Ditto.

Jenna
06-04-2012, 02:57 AM
:eek: I cannot believe it..will Marina coach the top two dance teams by herself? Sounds like V/M and D/W have had it with Shpilband!!

Twizzler
06-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Per the article, Marina states that Igor wanted to work 'exclusively' with the 2 new teams...as in not work with D/W, V/M and Shibs AT ALL? How can that be?

Where is our :sekret:? Please come out now and tell us the real meat of the story!

I took it to mean that the 2 teams only wanted to work with him and not Marina.

aliceanne
06-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Very bizarre. If the skaters were unhappy with his coaching it seems that they would find another coach. Why would the rink management get involved?

If they are unhappy with him as a skating director, what could he have done? Given away their ice time to someone else?

He's always coached teams who were in direct competition with each other, so I don't know why the issue of conflict of interest would be such a big deal now.

Proustable
06-04-2012, 03:03 AM
I took it to mean that the 2 teams only wanted to work with him and not Marina.

Yeah, I can imagine C/L and R/T wanting to get choreography elsewhere.

Debbie S
06-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Yeah…who does that???They probably figured it was better to have the meeting when the skaters weren't there.

How old is Igor's daughter? What a shame for her if they were to relocate, he really built that place from the ground up, and she has to have a life in Detroit...I think she is 15 or 16. He has 2 kids, but he's divorced and I'm sure they live at least half the time with their mother, so they likely wouldn't have to relocate if he did.

oleada
06-04-2012, 03:04 AM
He's always coached teams who were in direct competition with each other, so I don't know why the issue of conflict of interest would be such a big deal now.

Indeed. Which is why there must be something else going on.

Besides, V/M and D/W, as great as they are, are likely not going to compete beyond a few more seasons. Why would the club want to let a coach of Igor's caliber go if there isn't something major going on?

kirkbiggestfan
06-04-2012, 03:05 AM

Well, it is his job. Did the Russian fed offered him tons of $$$ to coach their team exclusively? Konspiracy? There has to be much much more to the story.

Macassar88
06-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I can imagine C/L and R/T wanting to get choreography elsewhere.

I remember Gorshkov saying that they were getting choreo from Zueva though. (Because he said that he had originally picked out music and stuff for next year but they threw it all out)

mollymgr
06-04-2012, 03:08 AM
They probably figured it was better to have the meeting when the skaters weren't there.

I think she is 15 or 16. He has 2 kids, but he's divorced and I'm sure they live at least half the time with their mother, so they likely wouldn't have to relocate if he did.

According to Wikipedia...He is now married to an Arctic FSC coach Adrienne Lenda.

PinkFeathers
06-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Few more details on the article, now:

Shpilband said tonight that he will be meeting Monday with Davis and White.

Reached by phone, Davis declined comment. Attempts to reach Moir and White were unsuccessful.

"Honestly, I need some time to regroup," Shpilband said. "I don't know what I'm going to do. If Marina put it in a way -- her or me -- OK, I hope that not all skaters ago that way, that they see (that ) I put my heart and soul into this."

Zoueva, who has worked with Shpilband since 2001, said: "He built the best-ever ice dance school. I'm very very sad. For me, it's real hard."

:/

Judy
06-04-2012, 03:13 AM
It's one thing to fire your coach or choregrapherr but quite another to cause him to lose his jo completely at the skating club. I just find this bizarre. I'm sure there are reasons fror it but they are as clear as mud right now. The fact that it's not just D&W or V&M but that they are in agreement .. I wonder if we will ever know or if it will be kept hushed up. More importantly, who replaces him?

FunnyBut
06-04-2012, 03:17 AM
New Shpilband quotes from the updated article:

Shpilband said that he and Zoueva have had conflicts recently, namely over Zoueva's scheduling of their teams, saying that she hadn't been consulting him.

"To me, that's not a good partnership," he said. "Me and Marina had a good run, and I don't want it to end like this; two years after the Olympics (2014 in Sochi) we could have gone our seperate ways.

"Every partnership has arguments -- it our business together. It's give and take, but Marina didn't see it that way. She wanted me to go away. I worked for many years before Marina, I built and took skaters to the top podium in the world. But I felt like I needed Marina to (go) from worlds to the Olympics, which (was) incredible -- we did it together

aster
06-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Very bizarre. If the skaters were unhappy with his coaching it seems that they would find another coach. Why would the rink management get involved?

In my experience, the only time rink management gets involved is when there is something very serious going on (ie some sort of inappropriate relationship). Most coaches are independent contractors and don't have traditional contracts with a rink; it's up to their students to hire and fire them, not the rink. They aren't usually employees of the rink in the traditional sense unless they are skating directors (or something similar like Shpilband was), but losing that role wouldn't usually affect coaching privileges unless there was something else going on.

Possible Canton does things a little differently but it still seems like this isn't the whole story.