PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

nylynnr
06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
She is multilingual? (Beyond the English studies at school)

You are misattributing this post to me, however, I can vouch that Kiira Korpi is multilingual in that she speaks fluent English.

The posts are getting a bit mixed up -- I don't know if you are also asking about C. Kostner -- but I believe she speaks up to four/five languages including English, Italian, German and Ladino, plus perhaps some French.

It is a sad fact that Americans' language education often, although not always, lags much of the rest of the world's, but Meryl is fluent in Italian and likely on her way to being fluent in French, as she has recently said she wants to increase her French studies in school. She may be graduating with anthropology major and two minors, Italian and French.

literaryfreak
06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Meryl has also spoken in Russian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z_9I7KQn1Oc#t=174s) before.

Dragonlady
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
A lot of people in the skating world go on vacation in June. The season is over, the new programs are ready, tests have been passed. The rinks do maintenance and repairs and put in new ice to get ready for the summer sessions. It's the slowest month of the year for the business side of figure skating.

cruisin
06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
It is a sad fact that Americans' language education often, although not always, lags much of the rest of the world's, but Meryl is fluent in Italian and likely on her way to being fluent in French, as she has recently said she wants to increase her French studies in school. She may be graduating with anthropology major and two minors, Italian and French.

American schools have been teaching languages, beginning in 6th grade for a long time. I am 59 and I started Spanish in 6th grade, took it for 7 years. I can also speak a very small amount of Italian, but that is something I started as an adult and used Rosettastone. I think the problem, in the US is that while we are taught languages, we don't have much opportunity to use them outside of school. In Europe, the countries are smaller and there are language overlaps. It is changing, a bit, in the US as Spanish becomes more prevalent. But, as I said, learning a language only stays with you if you use it. When I was in school, I could read Don Quixote in Spanish, my fluency is not at that level anymore.

caseyedwards
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Everyone I know took many years of languages! The only real conversational aspects though were with the teacher during testing. Maybe if there was more conversation it wouldn't just vanish after graduating high school.

Lacey
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
The method of learning foreign language is a lot different for American kids today than for those of us who are in our 40s, 50s or 60s. The theory is much more speaking immersion before reading, and it is very successful. I have two girls who were great in French, but the younger one, in her 20s, is far more fluent than her sister with the almost exact amount of teaching. Also, some schools start foreign language in kindergarten or first grade, which is much better for retention than 6th or 7th. Unfortunately, OTOH, some schools are cutting foreign language, as gym and music, because of budgets.

Back on topic, is there a show in and around Detroit this weekend, should that bring us news?

cruisin
06-08-2012, 10:29 PM
The method of learning foreign language is a lot different for American kids today than for those of us who are in our 40s, 50s or 60s. The theory is much more speaking immersion before reading, and it is very successful.

It's funny you say that. My kids also took 6 or 7 years of Spanish. And they never reached the proficiency level, in school, that I did. That is just my experience, though.

Bournekraatzfan
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
It does seem that way, doesn't it? I was amazed when I heard her foreign language interviews, because it's not something that she really advertises being able to do.

I remember Igor saying in an interview last season that Meryl speaks Italian well but is shy about it. I am so impressed with her linguistic facility.

Meryl has also spoken in Russian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z_9I7KQn1Oc#t=174s) before.

Can anyone tell me what she says after 'thank you'? thx:)

Judy
06-09-2012, 02:35 AM
The only comment I don't understand is the rink's comment that the 3 teams wanted him gone. Why bother saying that? It's caused more controversy then anything. I do believe Charlie's mom though as this makes more sense. I think the rink was stupid for what they said and don't understand why they needed to say that. That part confuses me.

dots
06-09-2012, 02:44 AM

This woman can do it all!

I'm really throwing all my support to all the Canton teams. I hope the skating community doesn feel like the can pick them apart now.

mollymgr
06-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Now if only someone from Canton would come forward with the truth. I'll take any language at this point- Russian, Japanese, French, Italian, Lithuanian, Esperanto, even English for that matter.

Vash01
06-09-2012, 04:42 AM
The only comment I don't understand is the rink's comment that the 3 teams wanted him gone. Why bother saying that? It's caused more controversy then anything. I do believe Charlie's mom though as this makes more sense. I think the rink was stupid for what they said and don't understand why they needed to say that. That part confuses me.

I am guessing that the rink management did not want fans to get mad at them for firing a successful coach like Igor, so they said the skaters did not want him. He wanted the heat off himself and thought that fans will not get mad at the skaters, no matter what.

FarFarAway
06-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Can anyone tell me what she says after 'thank you'? thx:)

I am not sure though, but it sounds like she is saying "I like time in Europe".

I didn't know Meryl could speak Russian, btw.

Vagabond
06-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Now if only someone from Canton would come forward with the truth. I'll take any language at this point- Russian, Japanese, French, Italian, Lithuanian, Esperanto, even English for that matter.

The best we can reasonably hope for is Cantonese. ;)

Coco
06-09-2012, 05:32 AM
groan!! lol