PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Zemgirl
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
You may have high standards. Meryl has conducted interviews in Italian. I cannot personally speak to her fluency but several Italian speakers have told me she is fluent, perhaps not perfect, but few are in a second language.
A lot of people are fluent in more than one language - certainly plenty of skaters (and FSUers! ;)), some in multiple languages. So while I applaud Meryl's efforts in learning a foreign language at an older age (that's hard to do - I was useless at it!) I'm not sure I would single her out as having a magic language gene or whatever we want to call it.

Anyway, this tangent clearly shows that we need some real news out of Canton!

allezfred
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Tanith Belbin ‏@TanithJLB
Honored to have been invited by USFS to the ISU Congress in Kuala Lumpur as the athlete representative. One more week and off to Malaysia!

Seems like quite the scheduling conflict there seeing as the above was posted on 1 June. :shuffle:

literaryfreak
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I think it would be interesting to see what Hagenauer could make for programs for D&W--perhaps with no Igor in the Canton camp, and not occasionally doing some choreography, Marina will allow some of the teams to get choreography elsewhere.

Just wishing...

Same here. Hagenauer could be cool. I was looking forward too to what Igor on his own could have made for D/W, now that tango is out of the way. :P

I have wondered for a while if there is a "no outside choreography" rule for the Canton camp (because it would be lost money for Igor/Marina) or if the idea has just never come up since the ice dancers seem fully happy with Igor/Marina's work.

aka_gerbil
06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Tanith is a stretch.

Tanith was also a pairs skater before she switched her focus solely to ice dance in her teens. If I'm remembering this correctly, a good part of the reason she gave up pairs was because she became too tall for it.

ETA:

I have wondered for a while if there is a "no outside choreography" rule for the Canton camp (because it would be lost money for Igor/Marina) or if the idea has just never come up since the ice dancers seem fully happy with Igor/Marina's work.

If you're coached in Canton, you get your choreography there... Which I find sad, because working with an outside choreographer for a program at least every once in awhile is a good thing.

cruisin
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I understand that dancers can offer a lot to pairs skaters, footwork and choreography. What surprised me was that there were not more pairs coaches involved in the seminar. It's really unimportant, it was just a thought.

I'm surprised that more isn't leaking from Canton. But, it's only been 5 days, so...

aka_gerbil
06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm surprised that more isn't leaking from Canton. But, it's only been 5 days, so...

Since when has much of anything ever been leaked from Canton? :P It always feels like less info makes it out of there than anywhere else. I'm sure the skaters are glad of that, but it's kind of frustrating when inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Conga
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM

I have wondered that myself, but could it be that there is more of a Russian one-stop shopping coaching style? It seems that the same is/was true in Ann Arbor with N/C and what about Linichuk? Can anyone knowledgeable shed some historic light?

lauravvv
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Ah so they still continue to primarily earn their living from doing shows for now.

Not sure that is such a wise decision though. An opportunity like this is not likely to ever come up again.They have been skating in Averbukh's TV shows, the tours connected to them, as well as his other shows for years now. I suspect that they probably have already earned the living for themselves. Judging by their house/villa in which they once gave an intervew, they pay the skaters very well there (and they're not even the biggest stars in those shows). And I am quite sure that Averbukh will continue to give a job to all russian/semi-russian skaters who continue to skate for some years to come.

leafygreens
06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
If they see it as an opportunity, yes. If they see it as a potential nightmare, no.

Oh, Ziggy, I can't stop thinking about V/M with Zazoui/Schoenfelder

I first thought this said Schadenfreude. :rofl:

Plus, Meryl Davis has the magic language gene and Tanith Belbin could tutor Charlie White in French :)

It does seem that way, doesn't it? I was amazed when I heard her foreign language interviews, because it's not something that she really advertises being able to do.

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Nothing new in this Canadian newswire article, as it merely pulls quotes from the Skate Canada and USFS press releases and recycles material from the Detroit Free Press: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/07/virtue-moir-split-with-coach

l'etoile
06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
So, we won't be hearing V/M's direct comment of any kind.

pingu
06-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Does she? I know Meryl is studying Italian in college but as far as I can tell from press conferences and such, she's not truly fluent. Compared to multilingual skaters, like Carolina Kostner, Stephane Lambiel or Kiira Korpi, she doesn't seem to have any super foreign language skills.

She's quite fluent in Italian, and it is not an easy language to learn if your mothertongue doesn't derive from Latin. And I don't want to sound offensive, but usually North Americans are not that good at speaking Italian (as much as Italians' English is not good), but Meryl's is at a good level, and her accent is very good as well.

Elka
06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Compared to multilingual skaters, like ... Kiira Korpi
She is multilingual? (Beyond the English studies at school)

barbk
06-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, look at the language distribution where Carolina lived:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtij%C3%ABi#Linguistic_distribution

Many more people spoke Ladin as a primary language, and over twice as many people reported that German was their first language rather than Italian.
It is in an autonomous region that wasn't even annexed into Italy until 1919.

A little different than the linguistic culture Meryl experienced in West Bloomfield, Michigan.

Italian high schools also specialize. While Meryl was probably taking math and science, Carolina probably didn't attend a high school that required much of either if she's now majoring in art history.

Zemgirl
06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
She is multilingual? (Beyond the English studies at school)
Re Korpi, I have heard that she is - and I checked her Wikipedia page, which references a Golden Skate interview from a few years ago. Reportedly, she is fluent in Finnish, German, Swedish and English. How fluent, I have no idea.

Kostner attended high school in Germany, having moved there for training when she was 14 or so.

Basically my point was that many skaters are at least bilingual. I picked three skaters whom I knew spoke multiple languages, but there are others. However, I don't want to minimize the difficulty in picking up a second language, especially when it's not done in childhood.