PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Japanfan
06-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I can't count the number of people from Scandinavia, Germany, and Estonia that I've met who speak beautiful English and were never immersed in the language apart from school, and some never use it on a daily basis for work. American and British television might be ubiquitous in Europe, but I have access to French radio and French TV on basic cable.

I grew up in the US and took four years of high school French over 30 years ago, but I can't say I have no opportunity to learn a language. I have zero aptitude for it, and I learned this at Hebrew day camp when I was 8.

The older you are when you learn a language, the harder it is. And people have different levels of talent for learning language. I have very little - and ditto little music talent - the notion that people who are good at math aren't good at languages is true in my case.

After living in Japan for almost three years I still couldn't pronounce the name of my street and district in a way that taxi drivers understood (though granted, I didn't study Japanese or specifically aim to learn it).

We didn't get French instruction until Grade 10 in my small town high school and our teachers' weren't Francophone. I did so poorly in French that I quit after that year as it was an elective. I took Business Law instead and aced it. Grades were important.

I would love to speak French and wish they had started us with it in Grade 1, with good teachers. But I certainly don't apologize for my failure to learn it.

kwanfan1818
06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Ah so they still continue to primarily earn their living from doing shows for now.

Not sure that is such a wise decision though. An opportunity like this is not likely to ever come up again.

If they see it as an opportunity, yes. If they see it as a potential nightmare, no.

Oh, Ziggy, I can't stop thinking about V/M with Zazoui/Schoenfelder/Haguenauer, or even D/W: in this new interview tihe Haguenauer, he had wonderful things to say about D/W's "Die Fledermaus" program:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120607&content_id=32913662&vkey=ice_news&tcid=tw_share

Plus, Meryl Davis has the magic language gene and Tanith Belbin could tutor Charlie White in French :)

Ziggy
06-08-2012, 11:22 AM
If they see it as an opportunity, yes. If they see it as a potential nightmare, no.

:rofl:

Oh, Ziggy, I can't stop thinking about V/M with Zazoui/Schoenfelder/Haguenauer, or even D/W: in this new interview tihe Haguenauer, he had wonderful things to say about D/W's "Die Fledermaus" program:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120607&content_id=32913662&vkey=ice_news&tcid=tw_share

We can dream... :(

Alas, both are sticking to Marina.

sammyhi
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I think Charlie White knows French.

sammyhi
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
By coincidence Tanith is in Indiana for the next few days, holding a pairs seminar with Marina Zoueva and Johnny Johns.

:rofl: Where did you come up with that?

sap5
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
:rofl: Where did you come up with that?

I suspect from here. (http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516)

cruisin
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
^^ Marina and Tanith speaking at a pairs camp? There aren't enough pairs coaches to do that?

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan train in Canton - Johnny Johns coaches them (with input from David Kirby in Texas) and Marina Zueva is their choreographer.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
^^ Marina and Tanith speaking at a pairs camp? There aren't enough pairs coaches to do that?

It is not unusual for dance coaches to be brought in to work with singles and pairs skaters. I've seen dance coaches brought in to work on footwork, pairs spins, and lifts.

Zemgirl
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Plus, Meryl Davis has the magic language gene and Tanith Belbin could tutor Charlie White in French :)
Does she? I know Meryl is studying Italian in college but as far as I can tell from press conferences and such, she's not truly fluent. Compared to multilingual skaters, like Carolina Kostner, Stephane Lambiel or Kiira Korpi, she doesn't seem to have any super foreign language skills.

But since she doesn't need those in Michigan, it won't matter ;)

Well, Marina has relevant experience as a pairs choreographer and she can always teach about politikking. Tanith is a stretch.

AYS
06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Marina choreographed one of the greatest pairs in history for years. That's pretty relevant experience, I'd say.

Sylvia
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Off-topic for this thread (ETA that I've cross-posted the link in the US Pairs thread), but Tanith Belbin spent some time last month working with Bobby Martin's pair teams in Boston: http://twitter.com/TanithJLB/status/200722043908521985/photo/1

nylynnr
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Zemgirl;3589265]Does she? I know Meryl is studying Italian in college but as far as I can tell from press conferences and such, she's not truly fluent. Compared to multilingual skaters, like Carolina Kostner, Stephane Lambiel or Kiira Korpi, she doesn't seem to have any super foreign language skills.

But since she doesn't need those in Michigan, it won't matter ;)

You may have high standards. Meryl has conducted interviews in Italian. I cannot personally speak to her fluency but several Italian speakers have told me she is fluent, perhaps not perfect, but few are in a second language.

DORISPULASKI
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM

When interviewed (in French) in Nice, Charlie said he did not know French as well as Meryl, and she would speak.

Presumably he knows a little French, then, already.

I think it would be interesting to see what Hagenauer could make for programs for D&W--perhaps with no Igor in the Canton camp, and not occasionally doing some choreography, Marina will allow some of the teams to get choreography elsewhere.

Just wishing...

sammyhi
06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I suspect from here. (http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516)

I'm sorry, I saw on her twitter that she was going to Kuala Lumpur.