PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mysticchic
06-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Tanth is going to college now and I doubt there is a problem with Charlie, since they just bought a house together!

Sparks
06-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Why would Tanith be there?
Like someone else stated, she is in school and I believe she is coaching.

peibeck
06-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Coincidence?

:watch:

:rofl: Imagine the skandal FSU would make of that. In all seriousness, however, I think that odds of a Igor and Tanith pairing are about nil.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I agree. At least that's what I gather from reading Virtue and Moir's statement. They're distancing themselves from what O'Neill said.

Their statement comes out of the skating federation handbook. You don't bash your former coaches publicly. You talk about how wonderful it was and you wish each other well. They would publicly say this regardless of how they felt or what they may or may not have done/said to the rink management.

I think Igor and Marina fought with each other (their "egos clashed"), because Igor wanted to teach teams independent of Marina. Marina was angry about it. They had a fight. Perhaps there was already a tension between them for a longer time. They skaters felt awkward in this situation and probably thought that Igor was the catalyst of the fight (because he was the one who wanted to train these 2 teams independently) and so they approached the management to talk to Igor (because they weren't able to talk sense into him or because they felt somehow unable to talk to him in person) and the management was unable or unwilling to solve the disagreements and fired him claiming it was the skaters' wish to free themselves from the blame. And because of their disappointment with Igor they decided to stay with Marina, because she seemed to be the one who's "there for them".

It is not the skater's job to talk sense into Igor. It is not their job to make sure that Igor goes along with whatever Marina wants. And it certainly is not their job to go to rink management and ask them to intervene. I also is not rink management's job to police their coaches, with regard to who they teach. If there was a problem between Marina and Igor and she felt he was doing something unethical (with regard to her team teaching with him), then she should have filed a complaint with PSA. It is PSA's job to handle all of the above. I sincerely hope that none of the alters did discuss this with management, that would be very inappropriate. They are not children, even though Igor refers to them as kids (which most coaches do, when referring to their skaters BTW). They all have switched coaches before, they know the right and wrong ways to do things.

And, if the skaters did ask for Igor to be made to leave the rink, I do not believe it is because they would feel awkward. Something happened, we just don't know what.

I can't believe that everyone is taking all of these quotes coming out as absolute truth. Do you honestly think that the "kids" involved would admit in a statement that they demanded Igor leave the rink?? Never.

As far as Jacqui White's comments, it's possible (and highly probable) that she just wants the "heat" off of her son.

Just because it's in quotes and someone said it, doesn't necessarily mean the words are the true feelings of the person being quoted. Canton teams, with the exception of Scott Moir on occasion, are notoriously PC when it comes to public statements they make. I don't expect this situation to be any different.

FWIW, Igor's teaching privileges were revoked in Canton. I have heard he is in Ann Arbour TEMPORARILY until he can find a permanent home.

Absolutely! Whatever went on behind closed doors, Whatever PR the rink wants to put out. The skaters will be told by USFS and Skate Canada, how to make their public statements.

rmaap
06-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Why would Tanith be there?
Like someone else stated, she is in school and I believe she is coaching.

I think the original comment was that she is rarely Ann Arbor coaching because she was traveling a lot doing choreography.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I think the original comment was that she is rarely Ann Arbor coaching because she was traveling a lot doing choreography.

Yes, I don't think the original comment was to indicate that Tanith had any involvement. It was just in response to a comment that said Tanith has little to do with Igor and Marina now - and why would she?

Sparks
06-07-2012, 11:23 PM

My bad. I thought the question was 'why wasn't Tanith seen at Artic?'.

vivika1982
06-07-2012, 11:57 PM
:eek: I just saw this thread and my first thought was that someone decided to play "Divide et Impera" :drama: I just hope for the best outcome of this situation for all :shuffle:

nylynnr
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Yes, I don't think the original comment was to indicate that Tanith had any involvement. It was just in response to a comment that said Tanith has little to do with Igor and Marina now - and why would she?

By coincidence Tanith is in Indiana for the next few days, holding a pairs seminar with Marina Zoueva and Johnny Johns.

Conga
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
By coincidence Tanith is in Indiana for the next few days, holding a pairs seminar with Marina Zoueva and Johnny Johns.

Interesting.

Iceman
06-08-2012, 01:24 AM
deleted

Tak
06-08-2012, 01:43 AM
The prospect of losing 3 Olympic teams and their coach is surely enough to get the rink management involved.

And that's another thing that doesnt make sense to me - did Marina have another rink all lined up in case management sided with Igor? As we are seeing with Igor, it's not all that easy to relocate and still be in an area convenient and acceptable to "the kids". What if they just called her on it and refused to intervene? It's kind of hard to believe she or the skaters would actually leave the rink, isnt it?

I am still finding this whole thing bizarre.

Theatregirl1122
06-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Considering Tanith and Charlie were just tweeting pictures of each other on the beach this month, it'd be a bit surprising if they'd broken up. :lol:

cruisin
06-08-2012, 03:26 AM
And that's another thing that doesnt make sense to me - did Marina have another rink all lined up in case management sided with Igor? As we are seeing with Igor, it's not all that easy to relocate and still be in an area convenient and acceptable to "the kids". What if they just called her on it and refused to intervene? It's kind of hard to believe she or the skaters would actually leave the rink, isnt it?

I am still finding this whole thing bizarre.

Good point. This whole thing just doesn't feel right.

Debbie S
06-08-2012, 04:14 AM
By coincidence Tanith is in Indiana for the next few days, holding a pairs seminar with Marina Zoueva and Johnny Johns.To clarify, this is a pairs camp put together by USFS (http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516). They hired the coaches/instructors. It's not like Tanith, Marina, and Johnny organized it together.