PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Emdee
06-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I too am Canadian and do not speak french. This is a crazy digression on this thread now sunk to confrontation.

Golightly
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
No one was saying anything like that. It was asked wether they spoke French and if therefore going to Zazoui was a possibility.
some people thought they they probably would being Canadian (and I thought too that French was mandatory for all Canadians to learn in school, I am surprised).

So don't pretend that there is an attack on them if there isn't.u

I wasn't. I was joking about the turn the thread just suddenly took: college, people speaking French, etc. For me, it was mandatory to take French, but I would be insulting the language if I claimed I speak it. I don't remember a word. Might be the same for others too?

arakwafan2006
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
In Russia, in Moscow.
I a, not even sure they ever live in USA.

It would be nice to see Barbara Fusar-Poli in a techinical role. The Girls in Canton could definately use her/:D

bmcg
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
One thing I picked up in that article about Vanagas that is :confused:

Igor says he spoke to V&M a couple of weeks ago and to the others after they returned from vacation. So what did he discuss with V&M a couple of weeks ago if he was just blindsided this past sunday and was totally confused about what happened? Logically it seems it's related to this whole situation otherwise why even mention it?

kia_4EverOnIce
06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
It would be nice to see Barbara Fusar-Poli in a techinical role. The Girls in Canton could definately use her/:D

She's already coaching in Milano (Guignard-Fabbri, and others)

gingercrush
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
o.o I have just learned about this. I barely watched figure skating last season and I must say so much is said about the choreography of Ice Dancing and for me I find the majority of it to be utterly indifferent to each other. Outside Denkova & Staviski, Delobel and Schroenfelder and the Adam and Eve FD by Gregory & Petukhov most free dances or dance anything have been entirely forgettable. Hell I love Virtue & Moir but I don't even remember their FD from Olympics.

Also for all the things that were said about Domnina & Shabalin I'm glad they won Bronze at the Olympics and their OD wasn't even bad.

Oh and in regards to Sphillband and Zueva. Seems nearly everyone here is completely in the dark and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Hedwig
06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
One thing I picked up in that article about Vanagas that is :confused:

Igor says he spoke to V&M a couple of weeks ago and to the others after they returned from vacation. So what did he discuss with V&M a couple of weeks ago if he was just blindsided this past sunday and was totally confused about what happened? Logically it seems it's related to this whole situation otherwise why even mention it?

That struck me as odd too.

OTOH we know that USFSA knew about "the situation" for a while so there must have been discussions.

Maybe he meant that he spoke with V/M about him taking on new teams and they were either okay with it or not but it didn't bother him.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Very bizarre. If the skaters were unhappy with his coaching it seems that they would find another coach. Why would the rink management get involved?

If they are unhappy with him as a skating director, what could he have done? Given away their ice time to someone else?

He's always coached teams who were in direct competition with each other, so I don't know why the issue of conflict of interest would be such a big deal now.

Exactly. As others have already said, coaches are independent contractors. The rink can take way their privileges, but cannot (technically) fire them. I suppose, however, that he could be fired from his skating director position. I would also be curious to know what the privilege contract states. I am sure that there are reasons for withdrawing privilege, but skaters not getting enough attention would not be one of them. If that is truly why they "fired" Igor, he could probably sue the rink. Lots of skaters leave coaches for many reasons, they often go to coaches in the same rink, they don't demand that the first coach leave or they won't come back. Also, you would think that V/M & D/W would have learned from B/A's ill-fated move from Igor. Igor has way too much clout.

Something very ugly happened or was alleged. I can't think of any other reason for the rink to have done something so drastic.

Sylvia
06-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Virtue/Moir confirm they are staying in Canton with Zueva in this Skate Canada press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1763/language/en-US/Default.aspx

frisette70
06-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Oups...

Zemgirl
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Virtue/Moir confirm they are staying in Canton with Zueva in this Skate Canada press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1763/language/en-US/Default.aspx
This one at least has a ring of truth to it, though it kind of contradicts the official story about the skaters asking that Igor be let go:

According to Moir, “their coaching partnership provided an enjoyable and productive training environment and together we experienced great success on the ice. We were obviously disappointed to receive the news that our coaching team of Marina and Igor will no longer be working together.”

gkelly
06-07-2012, 03:55 PM
OMG that is one of the most WTF selections of music I think I have ever seen, purely for the fact that how can you pick 5-6 pieces of music that are so totally unrelated to each other and put them into a program. One of those programs that you would want to give a music deduction on, just for the simple fact that the selection made absolutely no sense and would piss me off. But that is not in the rules.

If it really bothers you, you might be able to penalize in the Choreography mark on the premise that the music selections and the choreography to that music are lacking in Purpose and Unity.

rmaap
06-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Exactly. As others have already said, coaches are independent contractors. The rink can take way their privileges, but cannot (technically) fire them. I suppose, however, that he could be fired from his skating director position. I would also be curious to know what the privilege contract states. I am sure that there are reasons for withdrawing privilege, but skaters not getting enough attention would not be one of them. If that is truly why they "fired" Igor, he could probably sue the rink. Lots of skaters leave coaches for many reasons, they often go to coaches in the same rink, they don't demand that the first coach leave or they won't come back. Also, you would think that V/M & D/W would have learned from B/A's ill-fated move from Igor. Igor has way too much clout.

Something very ugly happened or was alleged. I can't think of any other reason for the rink to have done somethings drastic.

I don't think anything drastic happened. I think it is just as Jacqui White said. Conflict between the coaches, skaters caught in the middle being forced to make a choice.

It sounds like Marina didn't like the idea of Igor taking on new teams. Perhaps she threatened to take the Olympic teams and leave if the rink didn't get rid of Igor. Maybe she didn't feel they could both work at the same rink with different teams. Maybe she thought there would be too many teams and the ice would be too crowded. And who gets how much ice, and when?

It bothers me that people jump to the conclusion that he did something unethical. There has been nothing to suggest that is the case. Coach/rink drama exists at every skating level. It just usually doesn't get played out in public.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else have a sense of deja vu here? B/A get a silver Olympic medal and a year or two before the next Olympics, they leave Igor. Though they also left Marina. Very similar comments from the skaters, too. We owe everything to Igor and are sad to sever our relationship with him. Then why do it? Of course, every skater makes a similar PC statement when the leave a coach, but Igor really did get them to where they are. There was not indication that staying with Igor would stifle them. They saw that leaving Igor hurt B/A, big time. Where is the logic? Whether or not we agree that Igor's teams are "that great" or that they are consistently over marked - why fix something that works? I doubt we'll ever know what happened, but something did. And I seriously doubt it was lack of attention. Rink management has no business eating involved in that.

Golightly
06-07-2012, 04:06 PM
rmaap, because if things happened the way they are saying, then that's an illegal firing, no? Coaches and skaters don't always meet eye to eye, but you don't see the rink firing people left and right, do you?

V-M press release is a tiny bit less painful to read.