PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

alilou
06-07-2012, 04:24 AM
I quickly skimmed and it's obvious the guy is just pulling together what's already been published.

EYS, alilou. With all due respect to Jackie Wong, the Examiner is a glorified blog powered by "contributors" who usually rehash other sources and provide amateurish commentary instead of providing original scoops themselves.

I guess Jackie Wong reads FSU (hardly surprising) - he has contacted Skate Canada and has received an email from them saying there'll be an official statement later in the week. This info reposted from aka_gerbil's post in the V&M thread.
http://www.examiner.com/article/drama-canton-shpilband-fired-by-rink-zoueva-stays

Ziggy
06-07-2012, 04:44 AM
So what? English is a mandatory subject in Italy and most of us don't speak englsih at all.

English is not an official language in Italy though but French is an official language in Canada, hence as a Canadian citizen, I'd feel it was my responsibility to speak fluent French. Rather idealistic, yes. :P

I've known Igor for a very long time - he is a student of my first wife, Liudmila Pakhomova, he was a World junior champion and he has become a very professional coach. Of course, had he started working with Russian ice dancers, it would be just great. I don't want to belittle the efforts of our experts, but an increased competition in Russian ice dance would do it good. We will be glad to offer Shpilband more close collaboration when things are settled. I don't think he is ready to train in Russia. He is more likely to work with Russian skaters in North America. It will become clear after more substantial discussions.

As expected! This should open the door for Shpilband to have more time for Russian ice dance teams.

Konspiracy Klaxon! ;)

Igor must have done something far worse than we know or might ever find out. I dont know what. Nor do i know where to begin predicting. All i know is that at this point, all 3 of his top teams turned their back on him. That is a big deal...

Maybe he just spread himself too thin?

Ockham's Razor!

Igor was fired by his top 3 students, kicked out of the club and everyone should go to college before 21 otherwise you won't be able to eat.

Well that's not what Jacqui White is saying. :shuffle:

kimkom
06-07-2012, 04:46 AM
French is an official language in Canada, hence as a Canadian citizen, I'd feel it was my responsibility to speak fluent French. Rather idealistic, yes. :P

Oh Lord, that is a can of worms you may want to open in PI. :scream: :scream:

flowerpower
06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
English is not an official language in Italy though but French is an official language in Canada, hence as a Canadian citizen, I'd feel it was my responsibility to speak fluent French. Rather idealistic, yes. :P

Very! :)

Maybe he just spread himself too thin?

Ockham's Razor!

Could be. Not everything is as complicated as we imagine it to be. ;)

Well that's not what Jacqui White is saying.
Her comments had the ring of truth for me.

Ziggy
06-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Oh Lord, that is a can of worms you may want to open in PI. :scream: :scream:

Yeah sorry. :P

Please don't reply to my post people as I am already aware that my assertion is rather unrealistic and idealistic. :P

Her comments had the ring of truth for me.

Same here. Out of all the versions we have heard, Jacqui White's is the one I tend to believe the most.

jl22aries
06-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Ziggy, it takes years and years of daily and full immersion in a second/third/nth language before one has a running chance at being fluent. I thought this was a priori?

You may want to consider those living in towns completely devoid of daily French speaking, and reconcile how despite a handful of years of French in school (read: 3 hours a week in a classroom of 30+ classmates), you may just have a majority of Canadians who will tell you they can NOT speak French. Comprenez vous?

Apologies for taking the off topic bait. I tried I tried to hold my tongue.

4rkidz
06-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Yeah sorry. :P

Please don't reply to my post people as I am already aware that my assertion is rather unrealistic and idealistic. :P

Same here. Out of all the versions we have heard, Jacqui White's is the one I tend to believe the most.

I agree with your post Ziggy - not the Canadian/French major PI issues :shuffle: But the Jacqui White version about all of this.. it's the only aspect in all of this that makes any sense at all.. a power play of two ego's.. with the skaters in the middle.. :blah: I also think a bit of drama helps in the off season.. especially with ice dance .. bet the other team camps are loving this.. :drama:

kwanfan1818
06-07-2012, 06:10 AM
I can't count the number of people from Scandinavia, Germany, and Estonia that I've met who speak beautiful English and were never immersed in the language apart from school, and some never use it on a daily basis for work. American and British television might be ubiquitous in Europe, but I have access to French radio and French TV on basic cable.

I grew up in the US and took four years of high school French over 30 years ago, but I can't say I have no opportunity to learn a language. I have zero aptitude for it, and I learned this at Hebrew day camp when I was 8.

Bournekraatzfan
06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Igor was fired by his top 3 students, kicked out of the club and everyone should go to college before 21 otherwise you won't be able to eat.

:rofl:

And Canadians may or may not all speak French ;)

and have significant others who may or may not speak French, with whom they may or may not speak French;)

girlscouse62
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I live ib BC, and I have 2 Fench-Canadian sons-in-law neither of whom speak French, mid you they don't speak figure skating either!!:lol:

kwanfan1818
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
and have significant others who may or may not speak French, with whom they may or may not speak French;)
When my classmates and I were in Europe struggling to get anyone to speak with us instead of practicing their far superior English, we were told, "Get a boyfriend, and you'll learn the language."

Nell411
06-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I live ib BC, and I have 2 Fench-Canadian sons-in-law neither of whom speak French, mid you they don't speak figure skating either!!:lol:

I think the further west you go the less likely you are to find a lot of French speaking people. Although in my area of Alberta there are several French communities. I wish I knew French, but my schooling wasn't exactly the best for attempting to learn a second language (long story, way to off topic,) so I haven't yet. I do want to look into it once I have a little more money though. Just so I can say more than hello or thank you.

Bournekraatzfan
06-07-2012, 07:34 AM

now that, imo, is being derelict in civic responsibilities

When my classmates and I were in Europe struggling to get anyone to speak with us instead of practicing their far superior English, we were told, "Get a boyfriend, and you'll learn the language."

Ah, but love has its own language;)
My sister's partner is German but he and his friends spoke English so well that she hardly had a chance to pick up any German when she visited.

And that annoys me about my cousins in Europe and Asia--they are all at least tri-lingual. The effects of dictatorships, colonialism, and global capitalism.

Now to the topic at hand: thank you for posting this link and telling us what the article was about in the V&M thread, pani.

http://www.15min.lt/naujiena/sportas/ziemo...enos-295-224083

ETA: copying and pasting from the V&M thread:

Did you read interview with Lilijai Vanagienei? (Povilas Vanagas mom amd Litvinian FS federation president)?
I fount in interesting. Marina even asked could Drobysko-Vanagas will come to work in Canton... And Vanagienei sure Marina need technikal coach.
http://www.15min.lt/naujiena/sportas/ziemo...enos-295-224083

Look like one thing is truth - Zoueva-Shpilband had a big conflict between them.

Yes, in this article he said hed talked to Tessa-Scott several weeks ago. Not sure this was before vacations or during CSOI. And only in this atricle he talked about them...
And yes, look like Vanagieni not sure Marina could work along and look like Marina didnt thought about this before.
Could be she now want to work along?

YukiNieve
06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Double post

Ziggy
06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Drobiazko/Vanagas have worked on choreography with some skaters already haven't they?

They did some choreography for Rostislav Sinicyn's teams IIRC?

Ziggy, it takes years and years of daily and full immersion in a second/third/nth language before one has a running chance at being fluent. I thought this was a priori?

Well I am Polish born, lived in Poland until I was 19 and took English classes once a week for an hour. Yet by the time I was a teenager, I was pretty much fully fluent in English.

The only 'immersion' came from watching Cartoon Network in English when I was about 7 and later playing video games and eventually the internet.

See, watching tv for 3-4 hours a day as a child can be extremely beneficial! :D