PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
The statements put out by D/W and S/S make them sound gracious toward the departing coach.

Umm...I think the quotes sound so sanitized and stilted as not to have even come from them, TBH.

If those statements are enough to make people conclude that those particular skaters are more appreciative than others, then the PR-driven world we live in distresses me. JMO.

maggylyn
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Why? Because some hard-core figure skating fans will get their knickers in a twist and never ever ever go to see them skate again? :P

Who do V&M owe it to? There's been not one word about this in the Canadian press AFAIK. Nobody cares apparently, beyond the insular skating world :)

I see it very differently. It's not about owing anything to any fan. V/M are Olympic champions and public figures. This is just about good PR. That's all.

Frau Muller
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Igor must have done something far worse than we know or might ever find out. I dont know what. Nor do i know where to begin predicting. All i know is that at this point, all 3 of his top teams turned their back on him. That is a big deal...

Exactly. It could be something related to finances and/or crossing the line in 'politiking' (which could also be financial). Something big has happened. We must be patient.

Vash01
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Igor must have done something far worse than we know or might ever find out. I dont know what. Nor do i know where to begin predicting. All i know is that at this point, all 3 of his top teams turned their back on him. That is a big deal...

That may not indicate any terrible wrongdoing on his part. It's all politics and self interest. Why would those top teams leave their comfortable rink to an unknown? Right now nobody knows where Igor will go, who he will hire, etc. People usually stay with the known rather than jump into the unknown.

bmcg
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I see it very differently. It's not about owing anything to any fan. V/M are Olympic champions and public figures. This is just about good PR. That's all.

They can still walk down a street in Canada and not be recognized. They aren't big news, only to hard-core fans who frequent skating related websites in the off season. So it would only be to us, a specific type of fan, that a press release would reach. Did the press release from D&W and Shibs make it to any major news sites or channels? Or just to figure skating fans?

arakwafan2006
06-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Exactly. It could be something related to finances and/or crossing the line in 'politiking' (which could also be financial). Something big has happened. We must be patient.

Exactly. My guess is that the latest "thing" whatever it might have been was the icing on the cake/final straw. There could be entitlement issues on the behalf of the skaters but by and large, Igor got essentially put out of his own house.

Hopefully, there is something for him to learn from this as well as the dancers. I still say though that he did something. What? I dont know but it was something. I am not thinking it was criminal but it could actually just what we read. He has not been there for the teams like he should. He wanted to go in a different direction ( was bored) and the other teams made official what was hapening. It could be that he was missing lessons... overlooking concerns of the skaters etc. It was something though...

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
This is just about good PR. That's all.

In any walk of life, when people's PR gets too good, that's when I become uncomfortable... :saint:

ETA: I mean that when PR is very consistent and professional, I eventually question people's sincerity...because really, at that point it's just clear they have good PR.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Did the press release from D&W and Shibs make it to any major news sites or channels?
Yes, it was used in an Associated Press article that was published on various online news sites in North America.

ETA that I posted this article link yesterday morning in this thread:

This Associated Press newswire article (based on the Detroit Free Press article and the USFS press release) has started to make the rounds online: http://espn.go.com/olympics/figureskating/story/_/id/8010677/the-united-states-dismissed-igor-shpilband-ice-dance-director

nylynnr
06-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Did the press release from D&W and Shibs make it to any major news sites or channels? Or just to figure skating fans?

AP picked up the release and did a story; you can google it. Skate Canada issues many press releases, on topics ranging from who the goodwill ambassadors will be for various events, to Cynthia Phaneuf meeting with London, Ontario officials and signing autographs, to the federation's official frying pan sponsor. I'm a bit surprised they haven't issued a release addressing this topic, but I wouldn't read too much into it, either.

Tammi
06-06-2012, 09:19 PM
sorry, duplicate

martyross
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
much blah blah blah over one tweet, as usual ;)

Carolla5501
06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I have tried to read through this....

And while I don't really have a clue what's fact and what's FSU "interpretation"

It doesn't really matter... it's not good to air dirty laundry in public, for anyone. The fact that the rink even said what they did is just out of line IMHO.. from that point on it's downhill.

Sad for the skaters that any issues they may or may not have had or now subject to this 'gossip' mill.

Katta
06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Ziggy, all Canadian students have to take French at least until grade 10 :)

Nope they don't. It depends on the school division and school. My older one (graduating grade 12) took mandatory French from grade 4 - 6. My younger one took mandatory French grade 4-6 and is now in late French immersion (grade 8)

K

ballettmaus
06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
That may not indicate any terrible wrongdoing on his part. It's all politics and self interest. Why would those top teams leave their comfortable rink to an unknown? Right now nobody knows where Igor will go, who he will hire, etc. People usually stay with the known rather than jump into the unknown.

They know Igor. I would think for a skater the rink is pretty much like the dance studio for a dancer. Basically, the studios look the same everywhere, however, if you don't trust your teacher or in the skater's case the coach they could stay wherever they want and they'd be screwed.
Unless results are secondary, I doubt that location was the deal-maker. They must feel that Marina is just as well or better suited to get them where they want to be and they also still must feel that they can trust Marina in the way they did before.

jenniferlyon
06-06-2012, 11:26 PM
I disagree. When a world class coach is fired in the manner Shpilband was, the statements made by Meryl Davis and Alex Shibutani are so bland that they raise more questions than they answer; if everything was going so well and they are so grateful to him, why was he dismissed like this? I actually think it's better to say nothing that to give a meaningless statement that doesn't clarify anything.

We've seen gracious skater-coach splits before, and this isn't it. A statement that looks like it was written by a PR person - and not a very good one, either - isn't going to change that.

True, this is nothing at all like previous skater-coach splits. In every other case I can think of, the skater (or skaters, if it's a pair or dance team) leaves the rink and the coach stays and continues to work with his or her other skaters. That's NOT what we're seeing here.

Bland PR statements, OTOH, are standard fare in the skating world. That's why we need places like FSU. Otherwise, we'd never know what's really going on with any of these people!