PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Wyliefan
06-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I think that for some, college is all about the fabled "college experience" and not about the degree or the education, and that is something you miss if you go to college later in life or as a part-time or online student.

Personally, I would rather have the Olympic experience than the college experience, but that's me. School has never been the highlight of my life.

Good point!

It seems like so many skating threads turn into a long discussion about college.:rofl:

Seriously. 'Cause we all know better than the skaters what's best for them, right? ;)

sap5
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Why did D/W and the Shibs give official statements then?

ETA: Icenetwork has put out an article that V/M are staying: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120606&content_id=32859900&vkey=ice_news. However, it is based entirely off the tweet.

Because D/W and the Shibs have a better PR team?

Icenetwork is ridiculous. I don't need someone to write an article containing only information I can read on twitter myself! What about contacting Skate Canada and trying to get some further information? Pathetic!

Skittl1321
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Because it stops people from asking?

It doesn't mean that it should be expected.

Hedwig
06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Because it stops people from asking?

It doesn't mean that it should be expected.

Of course it should be expected. V/M are Olympic champions. People are asking questions. They are public figures. In situations like that sooner or later a statement is required.

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
^
Well, a few hard-core skating fans are asking questions.:P

Seriously, D/W and S/S didn't give any real answers. We know they're staying in Canton, that's it. V/M will probably release something equally informative at some point.

maggylyn
06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Of course it should be expected. V/M are Olympic champions. People are asking questions. They are public figures. In situations like that sooner or later a statement is required.

Agreed, and IMO it should be sooner rather than later.

The statements put out by D/W and S/S make them sound gracious toward the departing coach.

It's a great PR oversight for V/M not to put out an equally courteous statement, thanking Igor for his work with them.

ETA:
I like the way D/W and S/S handled this. They didn't answer questions or give an opinion, it was just a statement of gratitude for Igor's coaching.

That's what V/M need to do. It's not about "answering questions."

DickButtonFan
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
In my family some went to college some didn't, there are some with degrees who make a lot of money, some without degrees who make a lot of money, some with a degree who don't make a lot of money. It really depends what you go into and life isn't always better with money.

I'm sure these ice dancers will be just fine with the olympic medals they have they can always coach, I'm sure many would line up to be coached by them. We all know there are many coaches who didn't make it to sectionals and they are making a living.

But anyway this isn't even relevant since they're going to college.

Dragonlady
06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
If they're on vacation, they may be oblivious. It's not like this is major front page news in every newspaper in the world. I'll bet it didn't merit a mention in most papers in North America.

overedge
06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Icenetwork is ridiculous. I don't need someone to write an article containing only information I can read on twitter myself!

It's called "content repackaging" :)

What about contacting Skate Canada and trying to get some further information? Pathetic!

Because that would require Icenetwork to employ actual journalists, rather than people just pulling information from the rest of the Internet.

Zemgirl
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
The statements put out by D/W and S/S make them sound gracious toward the departing coach.

ETA:
I like the way D/W and S/S handled this. They didn't answer questions or give an opinion, it was just a statement of gratitude for Igor's coaching.

I disagree. When a world class coach is fired in the manner Shpilband was, the statements made by Meryl Davis and Alex Shibutani are so bland that they raise more questions than they answer; if everything was going so well and they are so grateful to him, why was he dismissed like this? I actually think it's better to say nothing that to give a meaningless statement that doesn't clarify anything.

We've seen gracious skater-coach splits before, and this isn't it. A statement that looks like it was written by a PR person - and not a very good one, either - isn't going to change that.

alilou
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
It's a great PR oversight for V/M not to put out an equally courteous statement, thanking Igor for his work with them.

Why? Because some hard-core figure skating fans will get their knickers in a twist and never ever ever go to see them skate again? :P

Who do V&M owe it to? There's been not one word about this in the Canadian press AFAIK. Nobody cares apparently, beyond the insular skating world :)

Vash01
06-06-2012, 08:45 PM

ETA: Icenetwork has put out an article that V/M are staying: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120606&content_id=32859900&vkey=ice_news. However, it is based entirely off the tweet.

I thought it's because the USFSA asked them to. The fed seems to be involved at some level in this whole fiasco.

bmcg
06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Agreed, and IMO it should be sooner rather than later.

ETA:

All the tweet said is "yes, they are still with Marina". Not "yes, they have decided to stay with Marina and severe all ties with Igor".

To me there is a difference.

arakwafan2006
06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Igor must have done something far worse than we know or might ever find out. I dont know what. Nor do i know where to begin predicting. All i know is that at this point, all 3 of his top teams turned their back on him. That is a big deal...

WildRose
06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Why? Because some hard-core figure skating fans will get their knickers in a twist and never ever ever go to see them skate again? :P

Who do V&M owe it to? There's been not one word about this in the Canadian press AFAIK. Nobody cares apparently, beyond the insular skating world :)

Exactly. I haven't seen a word about this in the Cdn media. Skate Canada can issue a press release with quotes from V&M when they return from vacation.