PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

seabm7
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Vash01 was referring to doors being opened which doesn't just mean there are shows they can participate in and have a professional skating career. As an Olympic (Gold) medalist life is likely going to be easier. Sasha Cohen and Tara Lipinski both tried an acting career, didn't they? I kind of doubt that had they not been Lipinski and Cohen they would have gotten the same kind of chance.
Unfortunately, these days, it's not (just) talent which gets you a job but a name and/or knowing the right people seem to weigh more than being talented.
In addition there's a chance of commercial contracts for Olympic medalists. Their faces and names sell products.

Yes, those ladies tried acting, but it did not work. Acting needs its own kind of talent, even not easy for figure skaters with lots of performance experience.

Currently, Lysacek has several endorsements. But how long the contracts will stay is another matter. I think after Sochi, if he does not have another medal, he will be no longer marketable. There will be new rising stars and people forget old ones quickly.

When people are saying a college degree is not enough nowdays, I agree. But I think an olympic medal by itself is not enough, either. Connections work when you have something to sell to buyers.

Since 2002, 9 US figure skaters got olympic medals. 7 of them have already finished a college or are attending one now. In my opinion, this statistics is telling something.

quiqie
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.mn.ru/sports_figure/20120606/319887513.html

Alexander Gorshkov:

I've known Igor for a very long time - he is a student of my first wife, Liudmila Pakhomova, he was a World junior champion and he has become a very professional coach. Of course, had he started working with Russian ice dancers, it would be just great. I don't want to belittle the efforts of our experts, but an increased competition in Russian ice dance would do it good. We will be glad to offer Shpilband more close collaboration when things are settled. I don't think he is ready to train in Russia. He is more likely to work with Russian skaters in North America. It will become clear after more substantial discussions.

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure, but I do know that Bryce Davison learned enough French, to give an interview partly in French once, with Dube looking on, somewhat proudly. There was comment at the time that he didn't go to immersion school, but learned to speak it later. D/D did train in Quebec, though.

Bryce moved to Quebec around age 17 or so to train with Jessica. He was immersed in a French-speaking living and training environment from that age on. So yes, he learned French. You can't compare that with someone who lives in a unilingual English environment, and dates a French speaker who already speaks English fairly well.

It was always interesting to watch D/D's use of English and French in the K&C - Annie Barabe and the other coaches spoke French, Jessica spoke French and Bryce spoke English. They all understood each other, but expressed themselves in their first language. In the concourse you'd somtimes bump into Jessica and Bryce, her talking to him in French and him to her in English. People tend to use the language that most easily facilitates communication.

BlueRidge
06-06-2012, 12:54 PM
If there's one team that will stay with Zueva is Chock & Bates. My understanding is that Madison is a favorite of Zueva. There is no way that girl is changing coaches.

I always thought Chock was one of Igor's favorites. Everyone was talking this time last year about he was probably behind the Evan/Emily breakup on Madison's behalf, not so much Marina..

But who knows. I always took D/W for more of an Igor team...

there was a lot of talk on FSU about Igor being behind the S&B split.

and it was ... a lot of talk...

we can switch and blame Marina... and it will be a lot of talk too

We talk a lot here without having anything to base our talk on. :shuffle:

dots
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
there was a lot of talk on FSU about Igor being behind the S&B split.

and it was ... a lot of talk...

we can switch and blame Marina... and it will be a lot of talk too

We talk a lot here without having anything to base our talk on. :shuffle:

I do remember having a very heated conversation with some posters about this one, and it was Marina's name that came up. A conversation that later turned into a series of nasty PMs.

dots
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
These are all the Senior level teams from the 2011-12 season that I can think of:
Virtue/Moir (CAN)
Davis/White (USA)
Shibutani/Shibutani (USA)
Tobias/Stagnunias (LTU)
Chock/Bates (USA)
Lichtman/Copely (USA) - split after 2012 US Nationals
Shannon Wingle/Tim McKernan - split after Midwestern Sectionals/before US Nationals
Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker - split before Midwestern Sectionals

Thanks Sylvia, so five seniors plus the juniors that is a full camp. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the lower ranked teams and juniors. I don't think V/M & D/W will have it as difficult. Those two teams have enough experience and talent not to overcome this.

nylynnr
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure five seniors plus a few single skaters searching for partners is a full camp from a rink management/financial point of view, given the set-up I/M had in Canton.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Last season Shpilband and Zueva did not coach any junior or lower level teams, AFAIK.

nylynnr
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Last season Shpilband and Zueva did not coach any junior or lower level teams, AFAIK.

True.

As a point of reference, DSC will have 18 teams this summer.

keep n spin n
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
UPdate on: Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker - although they did not compete at 2012 Midwestern Sectionals- They are a current dance team for this upcoming year. Best Wishes for their upcoming season.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
UPdate on: Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker - although they did not compete at 2012 Midwestern Sectionals- They are a current dance team for this upcoming year. Best Wishes for their upcoming season.
Thanks for the info. My bad -- I should have written "Did not compete at Midwestern Sectionals" in my earlier post for accuracy's sake.

TanithandBenFan
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Oh good! I was disappointed when they didn't compete last year and thought they'd split.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Very good!

MacMadame
06-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Fast forward to the 2010s and those opportunities just do not exist anymore, not at the eligible level and not professionally. True, winning an Olympic medal is a rare accomplishment compared to getting a college degree. But in all likelihood, it's the degree that will end up putting food on the skaters' tables 10-20 years down the road.
I am pretty sure that D/W and V/M have a well-paid career in figure skating in the bag should they choose to go that route. They can get endorsements and skate in shows now and later on they can coach and/or choreograph. They don't need college degrees to do this.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't get them as maybe they want to do something else later on in their lives. But they don't need them to put food on the table even 10-20 years down the road.

Currently, Lysacek has several endorsements. But how long the contracts will stay is another matter. I think after Sochi, if he does not have another medal, he will be no longer marketable. There will be new rising stars and people forget old ones quickly.
If Lysacek manages his money well, he's already set for life no matter what happens in Sochi.

Theatregirl1122
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I still don't understand why people are acting like these skaters are chosing between a college degree and Olympic Medals. They can do both. They will be able to finish their degrees when they are done skating. Plenty of people don't finish their college degrees until their mid to late 20s for reasons that aren't nearly as impressive as winning an Olympic medal and they go on to have successful careers.