PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Original Cat
06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
What does anyone know about what goes on behind closed doors? We'll
probably never know who created the original conflict between coaches but the sad thing is that everyone suffers with the break up of a power house.

Both S/Z are world class coaches with talents in specific areas. Both can hire other world class coaches to replace the partner lost for their revised schools.
Their teams are all world class competitors who are motivated to succeed and they will continue to dominate regardless of whom they choose to train them.
They have the basic gifts from S/Z that will carry them through to the end of their respective careers.

We should give them all a break and stop all this negative talk.

The Accordion
06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
We should give them all a break and stop all this negative talk.

:lol: You don't spend much time here do you?

triple_toe
06-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Ziggy, all Canadian students have to take French at least until grade 10 :)

Bournekraatzfan
06-06-2012, 06:26 AM

I'll probably earn a few more :rolleyes: for that one.

Well, you won't earn one from me. And while we're on the subject, I must say that I feel like the :rolleyes: is thrown around too much on this board; I like to save it for something special:)

I don't recall anyone claiming B&A were the worst team in the field or even specifically critiquing the cultural accuracy of their dance. Someone saying they hated that OD is not at all the same as saying that B&A are horrible skaters, that they didn't deserve their placements, or that their OD was was based on some fictional country.

I don't think Carmen Ovsiannikov is claiming that it is. I didn't really frequent the boards during the time of the Olympics, but in the little I read after the Olympics I did indeed read posts in which people were saying that Tanith was a horrible skater and that she only got by on her looks. And I assume Carmen is also referring to posts that specifically made the assertion that they did not present a culturally authentic dance.

That's how it is in Ontario, but I thought it differed across provinces.

kwanfan1818
06-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Based on interviews with Quebec reporters, Tessa and Scott do not speak French (well). Skaters like Patrick, Mervin and Paul will answer questions in French, but Tessa and Scott respond in English.
I've heard Schoenfelder being interviewed in English: isn't he now coaching with Zazoui? Haguenauer certainly does.

Too bad that Virtue and Moir didn't speak French with French-speaking SO's.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Well, you won't earn one from me. And while we're on the subject, I must say that I feel like the :rolleyes: is thrown around too much on this board; I like to save it for something special:)

I don't think Carmen Ovsiannikov is claiming that it is. I didn't really frequent the boards during the time of the Olympics, but in the little I read after the Olympics I did see people saying that Tanith was a horrible skater and that she only got by on her looks. And I assume Carmen is also referring to posts that specifically made the assertion that they did not present an authentic dance.

Thank you Bournekraatzfan.

You summed up what I meant perfectly. Your second paragraphy shows that I am not pulling comments out of thin air.

By the end of the 09/10 season I read all sort of comments directed at B&A (Tanith in particular) that suggested that she was barely as good as a junior skater and comments that did seem as if those who made them felt that the Moldavian OD was just as thrown together and lacking in authenticity as DomShabs' Aborginal mish-mash. Again, the comments I'm referring to from that period suggested that people had a problem with more than just the lack of difficulty in the dance. It seemed that the entire program itself was in question.

You are also correct about the :rolleyes: and I shouldn't have used them myself.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, (I've often been a fan of some unpopular teams so that is par for the course) I love a good conversation but if we are going to have a discussion please don't put in the rolling of the eyes. Immediately I get the impression that my opinions are being dismissed as invalid with no basis in fact or that I'm making things up.

Whenever I bring up a subject or refer to comments that were made in the past, I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I am talking about conversations and comments that actually do exist.

Still waiting to hear from V&M as to what their plans are and I'm hoping for a coaching change. One of the things they need regardless of who their coach might be is some fresh new choreography and I can't see either Marina or Igor using someone from the outside.

Nell411
06-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Not in Alberta. Although we have a several French schools and French Immersion is offered at most of the Catholic schools.

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 06:56 AM

In Ontario there is French instruction through Grade 9, but when you live in a community with no French presence and aren't exposed to the language outside French class hours, typically kids leave Grade 9 with a knowledge of some vocabulary and verb conjugations, but very limited ability to converse. Some parents send their kids to French immersion schools, but they aren't available everywhere, and not everyone would opt for that form of education.

Jessica's English skills have improved dramatically. ;) No idea whether Tessa's sister speaks French, or whether she had any reason to learn it.

Zemgirl
06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I am very disappointed that there's no new Barnas article to discuss today, and also that Alex Shibutani has stuck to the Celtics in his tweets. ;)

Does Scott still have a French-speaking SO? Either way, if you're used to communicating with someone in one language, I think it feels weird to switch to another language at a later point.

kwanfan1818
06-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Does Scott still have a French-speaking SO? Either way, if you're used to communicating with someone in one language, I think it feels weird to switch to another language at a later point.
I'm not sure, but I do know that Bryce Davison learned enough French, to give an interview partly in French once, with Dube looking on, somewhat proudly. There was comment at the time that he didn't go to immersion school, but learned to speak it later. D/D did train in Quebec, though.

star_gazer11
06-06-2012, 07:25 AM

That's how it is in Ontario, but I thought it differed across provinces.

Yes. I'm in BC and it wasn't compulsory until grade 8. I believe you could give it up in grade 11 - so four years required, which without practise/use ('use it or lose it'), is far from bilingual or even having good comprehension and speaking skills, several years later.

I think in the last census (2006?), less than one third of Canadians identified themselves as being bilingual in english and french.

On topic: It's only been about 48 hours since the first article? Guess we'll need patience to see what Virtue and Moir decide to do/ make an announcement.

Vash01
06-06-2012, 08:00 AM
True, winning an Olympic medal is a rare accomplishment compared to getting a college degree. But in all likelihood, it's the degree that will end up putting food on the skaters' tables 10-20 years down the road.

I strongly disagree. An Olympic medal in figure skating is going to open many doors for that skater. He/she will be making much more than a mere college degree would. Ever heard of unemployment? There is plenty of it in our country (USA). A college degree is no guarantee for getting a job or retaining it. Even a PhD is not good enough. Our whole culture is based on entertainment and celebrity status. A figure skater may not remain a skater for the rest of his/her life, but there are many avenues of making big bucks, unlike a poor college grad (unless of course that skater gets a MD/JD or an MBA from a top school like Harvard, Stanford).

seabm7
06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I strongly disagree. An Olympic medal in figure skating is going to open many doors for that skater. He/she will be making much more than a mere college degree would. Ever heard of unemployment? There is plenty of it in our country (USA). A college degree is no guarantee for getting a job or retaining it. Even a PhD is not good enough. Our whole culture is based on entertainment and celebrity status. A figure skater may not remain a skater for the rest of his/her life, but there are many avenues of making big bucks, unlike a poor college grad (unless of course that skater gets a MD/JD or an MBA from a top school like Harvard, Stanford).

I am not so sure of that. "Stars on Ice" is struggling financially nowadays. They could not find any sponsor for the US tour this year. There are not many ice shows left in the US. The skaters may have some opportunities overseas, but that's it.

ballettmaus
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I am not so sure of that. "Stars on Ice" is struggling financially nowadays. They could not find any sponsor for the US tour this year. There are not many ice shows left in the US. The skaters may have some opportunities overseas, but that's it.

Vash01 was referring to doors being opened which doesn't just mean there are shows they can participate in and have a professional skating career. As an Olympic (Gold) medalist life is likely going to be easier. Sasha Cohen and Tara Lipinski both tried an acting career, didn't they? I kind of doubt that had they not been Lipinski and Cohen they would have gotten the same kind of chance.
Unfortunately, these days, it's not (just) talent which gets you a job but a name and/or knowing the right people seem to weigh more than being talented.
In addition there's a chance of commercial contracts for Olympic medalists. Their faces and names sell products.

Turbo-Mom
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM

I did not know that since it is one of our favorite shows. Sign of the times. Average Baseball Player makes more in one year than entire budget of USFSA. Belarus won't event pay skaters prize money from last February. Better get a college degree that no buddy can ever take away.