PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

flowerpower
06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Unless Canadians live in Quebec (or attend French schools, like Patrick and Paul did), they generally do not speak French.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Now that I think about it, I don't think I know how many teams S/Z had. :confused: Can anyone named all of them?

I know there's

V/M
D/W
S/S
C/B
T/S
... sorry I'm drawing a blank :o
These are all the Senior level teams from the 2011-12 season that I can think of:
Virtue/Moir (CAN)
Davis/White (USA)
Shibutani/Shibutani (USA)
Tobias/Stagnunias (LTU)
Chock/Bates (USA)
Lichtman/Copely (USA) - split after 2012 US Nationals
Shannon Wingle/Tim McKernan - split after Midwestern Sectionals/before US Nationals
Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker - split before Midwestern Sectionals

FarFarAway
06-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Ok, I think I know what happened.

First of all, the source is obviously Zoueva. There are several sources that state that the "kids" had nothing to do with it.
But why? 1.5 before the the Olympics - why would anyone go and risk everything? This way or another, such turbulence is not going to improve the chances of V/M and D/W to win the Olympics (even if they are still the favorites).

That can mean only one thing - there's an internal interest of Zoueva to weaken Canton group. Seemingly, it doesn't make any sense - why would she harm her own chances of becoming the coach of the Olympic champions? What can possibly cause a woman to throw away her career?

I think it's obvious. Dear all, be very prepared for the return of Fedor Andreev :sekret:

My, that's a conspiracy theory:D and we shall expect Fedor with....?:D

I bet he will be skating for Russia, (that is to continue your theory of ruining North American Ice Dance) and B/S, I/K and R/T may take their leave?:lol:

jenniferlyon
06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
I have followed Paul Wylie since he was competing as an amateur. He did not finish his undergrad schooling at Harvard until he was something like 26. During the 92 Olympics it was said that splitting the time between school and skating was hard, and it affected his skating. After he graduated (with a bachelor's degree) he was able to focus better on skating and we saw the results of that in the 92 Olympics.

The point I am making is 26 is not a normal age to get a bachelor's degree in the USA; it is 21-22 (unless one goes back to school after working). So Paul must have taken it really slow at Harvard while training for US nationals, worlds, etc. That means he did sacrifice some college in order to work on his skating. It's not uncommon for skaters to do that, so I don't know why a few people here are insisting that college is more important than skating to the Shibs or D&W. I am sure they understand that the opportunity to win a world/Olympic medal does not come everyday, while they can get a college degree any day, even when they are 40 years old. Even Michelle Kwan had to put her UCLA studies for a while to compete at the world/Olympic level.

The major difference here is $$$$. Kwan made millions as an eligible skater. Paul Wylie competed during the era where there was a true distinction between amateur and professional skaters. However, once he won that silver in Albertville he was able to take full advantage of the many professional opportunities that were available at the time-- he got an early ticket aboard the skating boom gravy train, so to speak.

Fast forward to the 2010s and those opportunities just do not exist anymore, not at the eligible level and not professionally. True, winning an Olympic medal is a rare accomplishment compared to getting a college degree. But in all likelihood, it's the degree that will end up putting food on the skaters' tables 10-20 years down the road.

bbkenn
06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

This is again another attempt to "blame Canada" and is full of sh*t. Canada has no control over what happens in USFSA, and they were informed and knew a month before. I find it hard to believe that the USA would just let your petty scenario take place. Sorry. I think Igor has been a very bad boy otherwise the 3 top groups of skaters would not have indicated they wanted him gone.

FarFarAway
06-06-2012, 05:16 AM
These are all the Senior level teams from the 2011-12 season that I can think of:
Virtue/Moir (CAN)
Davis/White (USA)
Shibutani/Shibutani (USA)
Tobias/Stagnunias (LTU)
Chock/Bates (USA)
Lichtman/Copely (USA) - split after 2012 US Nationals
Shannon Wingle/Tim McKernan - split after Midwestern Sectionals/before US Nationals
Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker - split before Midwestern Sectionals

So basically we (or may be just me, if I missed something) don't know the fate of Virtue/Moir, Tobias/Stagniunas and Chock/Bates?

I'm more worried about the first, however. Days pass by and there's no news.

operagirl
06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
People were always impressed when I said I was going to the University of Michigan... If you're a theatre major, THEATREGIRL, they would be impressed: There are U of M grads in pretty much every musical on B'way right now. And Tony nominee's, too.

PinkFeathers
06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
If (big IF) T/S are looking to stay with Igor, they likely wouldn't want to say that they're sticking with him, until he finds home ice. It'd look pretty silly for the current OGM team to be like 'lol we don't know where we're training, but we have a coach!!'. Of course, this is true for all of the teams that were planning on working with him. I feel for the guy, but I really feel for the athletes.

casken
06-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Thinking back, wasn't it Zueva's arrival that coincided with Shpilband's teams moving up? Maybe that's why everyone is staying with her. She has the connections, not Shpilband.

I also wonder why some people began acting as if team B&A made up a fictional country and an OD to go along with it. The Moldavian OD was similar to many of the folk style dances we've seen in the past and it was given the seal of approval from a few posters in regards to it's authenticity. I keep wondering if the extreme hatred for B&A (Tanith in particular that season) factors into the perception of B&A's programs.

***Deep breaths****
As people have pointed out countless times before, B&A's OD was skated almost entirely in hand to hand and side by side position and that is something that is specifically spelled out in the PCS rules as being bad. I don't care how authentic it is. Choose something else.

You can't blame the judges for applying the rules, especially since B&A's OD so grossly flouted one of key ones. If anything, it was a scandal that they AND DomShab's beat Delobel and Schoenfelder's OD in the PCS for SS, CH and TR marks, since you know, DelSchoes actually had those. :rolleyes: Olivier was doing leaps and splits and other things in that dance that I don't think Shabalin would have been able to do on a healthy knee.

I will give Linichuk credit for improving B&A's CD's though. The one they did at the Olympics was miles better than any CD I've seen them do previously, and they should have beaten D&W in that phase.

Yay, thread drift! :P

Prancer
06-06-2012, 05:41 AM
The point I am making is 26 is not a normal age to get a bachelor's degree in the USA; it is 21-22 (unless one goes back to school after working).

Um, 21-22 would be the "normal" age for the traditional college student who goes straight to college after high school, lives on campus, and takes a full load of classes.

Such students are, however, a minority. Three quarters of all US college students are part-time commuter students; only 25% live on campus and attend school full time. The average age for someone who started college at 18 to earn a bachelor's degree is actually 24-26, so 26 would not be at all weird. And more than a third of undergraduates are older than 25.

Now if you are talking about a school like UMich, where the students are primarily traditional, then yes, you are talking about a young undergraduate student body. But if you are talking about what is "normal" across the board in the entire USA, then no, 21-22 isn't "normal" at all or at least isn't average.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
***Deep breaths****
As people have pointed out countless times before, B&A's OD was skated almost entirely in hand to hand and side by side position and that is something that is specifically spelled out in the PCS rules as being bad. I don't care how authentic it is. Choose something else.

You can't blame the judges for applying the rules, especially since B&A's OD so grossly flouted one of key ones. If anything, it was a scandal that they AND DomShab's beat Delobel and Schoenfelder's OD in the PCS for SS, CH and TR marks, since you know, DelSchoes actually had those. :rolleyes: Olivier was doing leaps and splits and other things in that dance that I don't think Shabalin would have been able to do on a healthy knee.

I will give Linichuk credit for improving B&A's CD's though. The one they did at the Olympics was miles better than any CD I've seen them do previously, and they should have beaten D&W in that phase.

Yay, thread drift! :P

I was not referring to the program content. When people have talked about B&A's OD in the past the tone of their statements have seemed to suggest that their dislike had more to do with just the openess of the program. A couple of pages ago, Macassar88 referred to the Moldvian dance as vomit worthy and that seems to encompass more than just the lower difficulty. During that season after the initial excitement and acceptance of both the OD and FD, people seemed to almost ridicule the OD for more than just the open handholds. Go back and read the many dance threads that season.

In the past I have readily admitted that the Moldavian OD was not as difficult as the top two teams and that problem should have been addressed during the season. And nowhere have I ever blamed the judges for not marking B&A first or second in the OD portion as they did not deserve to be higher than third. I keep forgetting to not suggest that B&A were not the worst team in the field as some tend to portray them as. :rolleyes: indeed. Also IMHO, years later we also have to figure in revisionist history when it comes to B&A.

I still agree with gerbil that I think it's unfair and not accurate to lump B&A in with DomShabs when it comes to their program themes and content. B&A did not deserve to win the Olympic gold (V&M's win was accurate and deserved) but IMHO they were underrated by the time they left eligible competition.

I'll probably earn a few more :rolleyes: for that one.

Ziggy
06-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Unless Canadians live in Quebec (or attend French schools, like Patrick and Paul did), they generally do not speak French.

Idealistically, I assumed that all Canadian citizens had to learn French at school. :shuffle:

P.S. As far as thread drift goes, yes those Linichuk programs for B/A were horrific. :P

(Actually everything Linichuk did in the last several years - excluding Denkova/Staviski who probably had a lot of their own input into their programs - has been awful)

caseyedwards
06-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Even if Z/S weren't the it coaches and K/C the other it coaches no one in ice dance has any incentive to go to L/K! Yeah they have some teams and their past has some success but the most recent things were all seen as garbage by lots. Who wants to go somewhere whore lots of people would be "they are going to get garbage and will stink!!"

pingu
06-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Idealistically, I assumed that all Canadian citizens had to learn French at school. :shuffle:

So what? English is a mandatory subject in Italy and most of us don't speak englsih at all.

Theatregirl1122
06-06-2012, 06:11 AM
If you're a theatre major, THEATREGIRL, they would be impressed: There are U of M grads in pretty much every musical on B'way right now. And Tony nominee's, too.

:lol: While I'm definitely aware of U of M's theatre department's reputation, the user name is a relic. I actually went to Michigan for something that wasn't even close to theatre. But U of M is the best school in the country in my field. So people were still impressed.

I don't recall anyone claiming B&A were the worst team in the field or even specifically critiquing the cultural accuracy of their dance. Someone saying they hated that OD is not at all the same as saying that B&A are horrible skaters, that they didn't deserve their placements, or that their OD was was based on some fictional country.