PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

museksk8r
06-06-2012, 03:38 AM
If the Italians become Igor's main team, they will improve technically and benefit from his politics. They could be the biggest winner in this deal.

If only . . . I would LOVE to see that happen as I absolutely adore Anna + Luca! :swoon:

MacMadame
06-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Well, UofM is ranked below Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Oxford, and another handful of universities, but #14 in the world (http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world) is nothing to sniff at so I do think that "world reknown" might not be so :rofl:. :shuffle:
To be world renown, you have to be known... There are schools farther down that list that are better known. UofM is a great school but it's kind of quietly great.

The most entertaining thing about this thread is the way people have been so pro-Igor all of a sudden after hating his and Marina's style and skaters and are watering at the mouth with the thought of the end of Canton.
Eh, I've always respected Igor and admired what he built. So I was never watering at the mouth at the idea that the situation in Canton would implode.

So now they get 0% of Shpilband instead of less of him. If the teams are getting someone else to replace him, why is that better than getting another person in addition to him to pick up the slack?
Sometimes having less of someone is worse than not having them at all. Because it's still a person who has to be consulted (bigger teams take more management) and they have a job to do and may not be doing it but because it's assigned to them, no one else is doing it either.

I think the real issue here though is that Igor is supposed to be Head Coach with Marina. But he's not acting like one because he's not around. Why pay someone to be your main coach if you never get time from them and then have to pay another coach to pick up their slack?

Note: this assumes that's the issue and it isn't something else entirely we just don't know about.

jlai
06-06-2012, 03:53 AM
U of M is quite well known among Asian students I know who wanted to go to study in the US. Now, a private liberal arts college like Swarthmore College or Amherst, Asian students probably have no clue about (for who cares about liberal arts :P ) :D

Theatregirl1122
06-06-2012, 03:54 AM
People were always impressed when I said I was going to the University of Michigan...

Dragonlady
06-06-2012, 03:56 AM
For those who think it odd that Igor was told to get out now, this is precisely how high level firings are done. Most people don't even get to pack up their own stuff. Doing it now, before the summer session starts, gives Igor time to relocate himself and his skaters before the summer session starts.

I also agree that if your program director is not on the premises and is neglecting his duties, that is grounds for dismissal.

dots
06-06-2012, 04:09 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/drama-canton-shpilband-fired-by-rink-zoueva-stays

If there's one team that will stay with Zueva is Chock & Bates. My understanding is that Madison is a favorite of Zueva. There is no way that girl is changing coaches.

perhaps Paul/Islam and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt should give Igor a call.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I know how many teams S/Z had. :confused: Can anyone named all of them?

I know there's

V/M
D/W
S/S
C/B
T/S
... sorry I'm drawing a blank :o

Ziggy
06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Does he? I thought that they travel from place to place, and don't put roots down anywhere.

Yep, he's based just outside of Moscow (Novogorsk, I think it was?) now, having been hired by the Russian Fed.

Seriously.

The most entertaining thing about this thread is the way people have been so pro-Igor all of a sudden after hating his and Marina's style and skaters and are watering at the mouth with the thought of the end of Canton.

All of a sudden?

I take offense to that, some of us have always hated Zueva's crap choroegraphy. :P

Doesn't she live in France? Do either Tessa or Scott speak french?

They are Canadian so they probably do. Or at least they should.

reese
06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
I always thought Chock was one of Igor's favorites. Everyone was talking this time last year about he was probably behind the Evan/Emily breakup on Madison's behalf, not so much Marina..

But who knows. I always took D/W for more of an Igor team...

mollymgr
06-06-2012, 04:21 AM
For those who think it odd that Igor was told to get out now, this is precisely how high level firings are done. Most people don't even get to pack up their own stuff. Doing it now, before the summer session starts, gives Igor time to relocate himself and his skaters before the summer session starts.

I also agree that if your program director is not on the premises and is neglecting his duties, that is grounds for dismissal.

Well, I sure hope they have a plan B, C, D etc…it is a fickle sport after all. It seems like they went for it like there was nothing to lose at this point.

manhn
06-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Based on interviews with Quebec reporters, Tessa and Scott do not speak French (well). Skaters like Patrick, Mervin and Paul will answer questions in French, but Tessa and Scott respond in English.

UMBS Go Blue
06-06-2012, 04:31 AM
but I think he's just speculating because they've not said anything. I don't think he really knows anythingEYS, alilou. With all due respect to Jackie Wong, the Examiner is a glorified blog powered by "contributors" who usually rehash other sources and provide amateurish commentary instead of providing original scoops themselves.

To be world renown, you have to be known... There are schools farther down that list that are better known. UofM is a great school but it's kind of quietly great.Without question, it's a world-renowned university and is in good company among all the great schools listed. Any ranking has its flaws and the one school there that seems to be ranked too low is Berkeley, but in any list of renowned universities, Michigan will always be there because of its sheer size and because of its reputation in many different fields.

MorganaLefay
06-06-2012, 04:31 AM
I find it both ironic and preposterous for Marina to equate Igor's working with other teams on his own as a "conflict of interest" situation. Is he her Siamese twin or indentured servant? Coaching multiple top teams is what clearly creates a conflict of interest in my mind, but of course, that's the daily reality in Canton. If working with other teams made Igor miss work with the top teams on a regular basis, then the management would have some dereliction of duty/failure to perform reason for firing him, but they cannot force him to work by saying that if he does not work, that's a conflict. Slavery was abolished long time ago!

Very curious to find out how this all end--would not be surprised if Fedor would be more in the limelight AS A COACH now. Count on Mommy Marina to jump start his career!

dots
06-06-2012, 04:38 AM
I always thought Chock was one of Igor's favorites. Everyone was talking this time last year about he was probably behind the Evan/Emily breakup on Madison's behalf, not so much Marina

I could be wrong but if I remember well FSU was all over Marina about that one.

alyona
06-06-2012, 04:50 AM
They are Canadian so they probably do. Or at least they should.

They don't :) They wasn't able to understand questions in French on TEB and asked to repeat in English.

jeffisjeff
06-06-2012, 05:00 AM
They are Canadian so they probably do.

:rofl: