PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

rmaap
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
That's a rather short sighted comment. You, not being from the area, are unaware of just how many skaters Brandon has. He is a younger and newer coach, but he is having good success with novice level teams at the moment. Even Igor had to get his start somewhere. Also, with Yasa and Yuri having many teams, and Brandon having many skaters, there isn't exactly enough ice for another school of dance at that rink.

By the way, Brandon was the most decorated coach in the entire national solo dance championship series last season, so it is not appropriate to insult him by being so dismissive of him.

I highly doubt that the Ice Cube management would turn down the arrival of Igor, and the club might not have much to say about it - these dancers don't skate on club ice anyway. Many of Brandon's solo dancers skate through the club, so I really don't see that as an issue.

Actually the more I think about it, either Ann Arbor or DSC would be the best options. They already have the ice reserved for dance teams, as opposed to other local rinks that either take their ice down for the summer or already have it contracted out to hockey camps. Also, starting up a program at a new rink would require setting up off-ice training which would already be available at those two rinks.

But let's not forget Emily Samuelson at Ann Arbor! I keep wondering how that would work out, and it makes me wonder if Igor or Marina was the driving force behind the Evan/Emily split.

Another option might be the other Arctic rink in Chelsea. ;)

Macassar88
06-06-2012, 02:11 AM
And things were icy in the kiss and cry that whole worlds... Tanith and Ben left because Igor (and Marina) were giving more attention to the younger up-and-comers.

Also, as much as I loved B/A, they did need some polishing and technical help that they just didn't seem to be getting in Canton. Linichuk did a fabulous job in correcting those issues in a very short amount of time.

If anything, I think they may have slipped further down the standings and faster if they'd stayed put. As for the 09/10 programs, I know a lot of people lump them with DomShabs, but B/A's Olympic year programs were not the monstrosities that people have retroactively tried to make them out to be. In fact, it seems like at first they received quite a bit of praise. I always thought that Ave Maria was definitely a return to where B/A started off with program-wise as their earliest stuff was dramatic. The OD was a nice nod to the upbeat style they'd been known for in the mid-00's. (The real OMG WHAT programs were DomShabs... Between those programs and Max's knees, they shouldn't have been anywhere near that podium.)

Yes, Linichuk told her to gain weight, and from several articles, I think Linichuk did a lot to help Tanith body-image wise.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is a chronic problem with the Canton girls being too thin or having problems with disordered eating.

And, I still maintain that it wasn't so much B/A's programs that year, but, as you said, that politicking by their coach and others was what really did them in. Let's be honest; getting DomShabs onto the podium was an epic feat of politicking. Plus, USFS was putting their weight behind D/W instead of their reigning world silver medalists (who, IMO, should have been the reigning world gold medalist--mainly, I think they got underscored in the CD and definitely the OD at worlds in 2009--again, politics).

I think that B/A's programs were both blegh that year. That moldavian dance was vomit worthy and Ave Maria was just as bad. (I just forced myself to rewatch both of them so I could see whether I had lumped them together with DomShab's programs)

Macassar88
06-06-2012, 02:15 AM
I don't recall ever hearing that. I remember he and Marina talking about how the teams wanted to continue competing. They may have said it would be hard to stay on top for 4 more years, but I don't think that indicates a loss of interest. At this point, halfway through the Oly cycle, it's pretty clear that the younger teams haven't developed as much as one would expect (exception being Weaver/Poje, but they are the same age as D/W and V/M) and unless something amazing happens this season, D/W and V/M will be the top contenders in Sochi. Last fall, there was interview with Igor in the fluff piece shown on NBC during SA where he said Meryl and Charlie's next goal was to win the Olys, with a smile on his face. He sure didn't look disinterested. Whatever has been happening over the past few months, I don't think it's b/c he's bored with his top teams.

Bobrova and Soloviev's million dollar look? :D

Debbie S
06-06-2012, 02:15 AM
I have followed Paul Wylie since he was competing as an amateur. He did not finish his undergrad schooling at Harvard until he was something like 26. Paul graduated from Harvard in 1991. I believe he started in 1986 (when he stared working with the Scotvolds), so it didn't take him that much longer than normal to finish. He must have taken a few years off after high school to focus on skating.

Just checked the FSU Archives... the Brian Orser/Yu-Na Kim "firing" thread started on 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM (post #1) and post #611 was made on 08-25-2010, 02:15 AM.

This thread was started on 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM and post #611 was made at 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM. So the answer is probably YES ... unless can someone else think of another contendor besides the Orser/Kim thread?

According to that math, the Orser/Kim thread was moving faster, hitting 611 posts in roughly 28 hours, while this one took a whopping 48.:) :respec:

carriecmu0503
06-06-2012, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=rmaap;3586982]I highly doubt that the Ice Cube management would turn down the arrival of Igor, and the club might not have much to say about it - these dancers don't skate on club ice anyway. Many of Brandon's solo dancers skate through the club, so I really don't see that as a problem.

Actually, the dancers in Ann Arbor DO skate on club ice- it's just not evening contract ice. It's club pass through ice. Brandon's dancers are on the ice at the same time as Yasa and Yuri's. None of Brandon's dancers skate at night with the general club population.

Judy
06-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Publically fired? I suppose it depends on who went the the Detroit Free Press with that story as that seems to be where the story broke. None of us heard a word about problems in Canton for the last two months they were apparently going on.

I think that the rink went to the press with a prepared statement.

rmaap
06-06-2012, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=rmaap;3586982]I highly doubt that the Ice Cube management would turn down the arrival of Igor, and the club might not have much to say about it - these dancers don't skate on club ice anyway. Many of Brandon's solo dancers skate through the club, so I really don't see that as a problem.

Actually, the dancers in Ann Arbor DO skate on club ice- it's just not evening contract ice. It's club pass through ice. Brandon's dancers are on the ice at the same time as Yasa and Yuri's. None of Brandon's dancers skate at night with the general club population.

I stand corrected then. I thought I remembered paying the rink, not the club, for the pass-thru ice. But my point is that the dance teams skate earlier in the day, and there is already ice reserved just for them. So it would be easy to add more dance teams. Most other rinks would not have big daily chunks of ice time unsold for the summer.

I was talking about Brandon's solo dancers skating on the contract ice. The ones that made him "the most decorated coach at Solo Nationals."

Macassar88
06-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Last thing I was expecting but maybe V/M are staying silent because they will be the ones leaving?

(GO TO ZAZOUI PLEASE! *dreams*)

Doesn't she live in France? Do either Tessa or Scott speak french?

kwanfan1818
06-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Oh, yes! The new rink on a beach resort with all year long good weather!
I'm sure he's going to be ecstatic about the idea! :D
I don't think Shpilband cares very much about the sea, but Platov does, and a good beach might be the only way to get Platov to leave NJ to team up with him.

Seriously.

My :sekret: tell me Igor just wasn't there a lot. I guess he spread himself too thin and wasn't coaching as much as the skaters thought they needed?
So now they get 0% of Shpilband instead of less of him. If the teams are getting someone else to replace him, why is that better than getting another person in addition to him to pick up the slack?

carriecmu0503
06-06-2012, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=carriecmu0503;3587014]

I stand corrected then. I thought I remembered paying the rink, not the club, for the pass-thru ice. But my point is that the dance teams skate earlier in the day, and there is already ice reserved just for them. So it would be easy to add more dance teams. Most other rinks would not have big daily chunks of ice time unsold for the summer.

I was talking about Brandon's solo dancers skating on the contract ice. The ones that made him "the most decorated coach at Solo Nationals."

There is not ice reserved for just dance teams in Ann Arbor. The dance teams skate on club pass through ice, which any figure skater can skate on. There are 2 one hour sessions for dance teams only on Sundays, but that is it. None of Brandon's dancers skate on contract ice. We all skate during the day on the ice with Yasa and Yuri's teams, in addition to a number of other skaters. The rink is fairly crowded as it is- I HIGHLY doubt Igor would find these conditions satisfactory, and there is absolutely no way Yasa and Yuri would be okay with being second fiddle in Ann Arbor.

Mayra
06-06-2012, 02:47 AM
So now they get 0% of Shpilband instead of less of him. If the teams are getting someone else to replace him, why is that better than getting another person in addition to him to pick up the slack?

Whatever was going on between Igor and the skaters/Marina, it reached the point where not only did they not want to be coached by him, but they didn't even want to be in the same rink as him :eek:. Those are pretty bold statements given by the manager at Arctic. Certainly makes you wonder...:shuffle:

Zhulin and Shpilband should get together and commiserate. :P

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-06-2012, 02:55 AM
.....Also, as much as I loved B/A, they did need some polishing and technical help that they just didn't seem to be getting in Canton. Linichuk did a fabulous job in correcting those issues in a very short amount of time.

.....As for the 09/10 programs, I know a lot of people lump them with DomShabs, but B/A's Olympic year programs were not the monstrosities that people have retroactively tried to make them out to be. In fact, it seems like at first they received quite a bit of praise. I always thought that Ave Maria was definitely a return to where B/A started off with program-wise as their earliest stuff was dramatic. The OD was a nice nod to the upbeat style they'd been known for in the mid-00's. (The real OMG WHAT programs were DomShabs... Between those programs and Max's knees, they shouldn't have been anywhere near that podium.)

.....And, I still maintain that it wasn't so much B/A's programs that year, but, as you said, that politicking by their coach and others was what really did them in. Let's be honest; getting DomShabs onto the podium was an epic feat of politicking. Plus, USFS was putting their weight behind D/W instead of their reigning world silver medalists (who, IMO, should have been the reigning world gold medalist--mainly, I think they got underscored in the CD and definitely the OD at worlds in 2009--again, politics).

:respec: gerbil.

I'm also not sure whether or not my television must have been picking up the same signal that others were. I can understand B&A's programs not being someones favorites but ITA that I fail to see the horrible programs that others are. Especially given that both programs were indeed initially well received. While there were some changes made to the FD over the course of the season in response to the low GP marks, the changes IMO weren't that drastic as to make the same FD that people thought was so good initially look like the worst FD of the entire season. The worst thing about the FD by the end of the season was the costume change and I guess I can't mount any argument against someone who might have been so bothered by the costume (they weren't even the worst costumes we've ever seen in icedance) that it overshadowed the rest of the program.

I also wonder why some people began acting as if team B&A made up a fictional country and an OD to go along with it. The Moldavian OD was similar to many of the folk style dances we've seen in the past and it was given the seal of approval from a few posters in regards to it's authenticity. I keep wondering if the extreme hatred for B&A (Tanith in particular that season) factors into the perception of B&A's programs.

Now DomShabs, I can't and won't try and defend because their programs weren't that great (understatement) but were probably what they were because of Max's bad knees. Okay that OD that I'm still trying to forget (talk about needing brainbleach) was because of ignorance of another culture and IMO Linichuk's stubborness. Even with the condition Max's knees were in, DomShabs could still have chosen different subject matter or done a better job interpreting the dance they chose.

I also don't see where the perception that Linichuk is washed up comes from. She managed to take a team that was completely past their prime due to injury and keep them on top of the Europeans podium and get them a bronze medal they did not deserve (I say this as a huge DomShabs fan). She must have used every ounce of influence she had to make that happen. Also since the 09/10 season and the retirement of B&A and F&S, Linichuk/Karponosov have not had any top teams at their rink because for the first time since I've been watching icedance, there really aren't that many teams from Europe or Russia waiting in the wings. Also with I/Z/Canton now the "it" coaches and rink, I would think that most teams who felt they wanted to move up the rankings would have chosen Canton. We've seen before that many dancers (as well as singles and pairs skaters) want to be with the coach who not only is the best teacher but also who is in favor at the time. How many times has anyone looking for world medals gone to a coach without a "name?"

Do we really know what type of influence Linichuk still has?

As for the Igor/Marina situation. I disagree with the contention that I/Z are the only coaches who know how to work with CoP and that another coach should V&M choose to leave Marina wouldn't know how to work around Tessa's legs and make sure she stays healthy enough to compete.

Not taking anything away from how good I/Z have been as technical coaches (because they have been and still are) but at least a part of their dominance can be attributed to the shift in favoritism that we've seen from time to time in icedance. Years ago it was Dubova, then Linichuk (who comes in and out of favor in cycles it seems), TAT and now I/Z/Canton. Every few years the ISU judges seem to turn their attention to a different coach. From what I understand Angelika/Pasquale were very well received this season and especially at Worlds. While I don't think Igor and Marina wherever they work are going to disappear and have some of the longest histories as coaches, there is room for other coaches to step forward as long as their students have the talent. IMO it's just taken a couple of years for some of the other teams to start making progress and getting the attention they need to start moving forward.

Anyway, I guess there really hasn't been anything new on what really happened and I wonder if this is another one of those times when we aren't ever going to get to the truth. At least not officially except for whatever the :sekret: have to say.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-06-2012, 02:59 AM
I thought that was an STD.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

:rofl:

I can't believe that Jo Ann Barnas is actually quoting Piseev as google translated. Very professional, congrats! :rolleyes:

Well, at least she didn't use babblefish. :shuffle:

alilou
06-06-2012, 03:28 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/drama-canton-shpilband-fired-by-rink-zoueva-stays
Jackie Wong says V&M haven't made a decision yet

Both Davis and White and the Shibutanis have indicated that they will continue to train under Zoueva. As of the writing of this post, Virtue and Moir have not made a decision, nor have Madison Chock and Evan Bates, who finished fifth at U.S. Nationals this year.
but I think he's just speculating because they've not said anything. I don't think he really knows anything - like if they're even actually in decision-making mode. They could easily be staying exactly where there are, but prefer not to say anything.

Debbie S
06-06-2012, 03:38 AM
The Examiner is pretty much a tabloid. The writers are all freelancers, who can submit anything they want and they get paid based on hits to their page. I wouldn't take anything they publish seriously. I remember when someone wrote an 'article' that MK was making a comeback for Vancouver based on a tweet from the fake Michelle Kwan Twitter account. :rolleyes:

I quickly skimmed and it's obvious the guy is just pulling together what's already been published.