PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mollymgr
06-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I still can't believe how he was let go so unceremoniously. I think they could have done this without the added drama by parting ways amicably, especially someone that they respected.
Whoever came up with this plan, did not expect that the rink management would be interviewed or what they would say. They definitely did not map out all the possibilities. If they would have thought it through, they could have prevented their actions from really muddying the waters. IMO, the PC statements from Meryl Davis and Alex Shibutani do nothing to help their case. This just makes Igor look like a victim more than ever. If they are speaking so highly of him, why did they get rid of him in such an abrupt fashion? That is the burning question. The way their statements sound, it would seem like Igor was the one leaving them. So yeah…there is definitely more to this story since things aren't adding up.
I'm still puzzled as to how DFP gets a hold of the rink management, Igor and Zoueva on a normal Sunday evening, unless one or all of them decided to call Jo-Ann Barnas.

bmcg
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Maybe if the rink management and Zoueva's answers to the press seem hasty and poorly thought out it's because they were put on the spot and didn't expect this to go to the media that quickly and in that way. The quote the article opens with is "I just got fired"...

Iceymom
06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
The grapevine has it from people who know Marina, that she has a history of making problems, and manipulating situations to her advantage. Her history on the romantic side has taken a similar path. If she wanted Shpilband out, she took the path of politics, by going to the management, and having the "kids" go to the management to get it done. According to a source, she did this before in Russia to a coaching partner before coming to this side of the world. She apparently is not afraid to speak her mind and manipulate to get her way.

bmcg
06-06-2012, 12:09 AM
That could be but I don't know how she can convince, for example, Davis and White they are being neglected by Igor if they didn't feel that themselves. Something else to consider, if Igor was indeed trying to set up his own school independent of Marina was he not then also wanting her out? Maybe Jacqui White is right in that there are TWO egos at play here and neither of them is a saint in any of this.

dots
06-06-2012, 12:09 AM

dots
06-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Kind of hoping Igor finds a way to work with I&K in the lead up to Sochi just for the sheer drama of it all. :drama:

How can I word this without being disrespectful... :shuffle:

I think Igor might be a bit too traditional for Elena.

PeterG
06-06-2012, 12:11 AM
ThMaybe Jacqui White is right in that there are TWO egos at play here and neither of them is a saint in any of this.

That won't work. It's the off-season. We need saints and villains as much as we need tar and feathers.

kwanfan1818
06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, UofM is ranked below Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Oxford, and another handful of universities, but #14 in the world (http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world) is nothing to sniff at so I do think that "world reknown" might not be so :rofl:. :shuffle: It's another question altogether whether an elite skater's educational goals might outweigh his/her continued pursuit of Olympic medals.
Considering that all of the skaters have to have flexible schedules, being able to take a course or two at a time, which is not something many other elite schools will allow, and paying in state tuition -- arguably the best educational value in North America -- they are able to have the best of both worlds by staying in Michigan.

The Canton girls are thin, but how do you know their eating is "disordered", and not a product of them working out 7 hours a day? Maybe they just put in more work and that's why the whole group is so successful.
In an interview Belbin said that when she was training with S/Z, she was too thin to hold her core when lifted and put undue stress on Agosto. Considering that their results suffered when he had a back injury, had she been strong, they might have had the first WC title by a US team.

Vash01
06-06-2012, 12:44 AM
I think perhaps you need to revisit the Paul Wylie story..

He actually went to undergraduate on the normal after high school schedule. He had his sucess after he completed his undergrad work at Harvard.

He did delay post graduate work for skating, but.... his first priority at the age of Davis/White and the Shibs was "college" And there's nothing wrong with that priority.... the assumption that college can wait assumes you are willing to have a much differnet experience then your fellow students. Being a freshman at 30 is not the same as at 18 :)

I have followed Paul Wylie since he was competing as an amateur. He did not finish his undergrad schooling at Harvard until he was something like 26. During the 92 Olympics it was said that splitting the time between school and skating was hard, and it affected his skating. After he graduated (with a bachelor's degree) he was able to focus better on skating and we saw the results of that in the 92 Olympics.

The point I am making is 26 is not a normal age to get a bachelor's degree in the USA; it is 21-22 (unless one goes back to school after working). So Paul must have taken it really slow at Harvard while training for US nationals, worlds, etc. That means he did sacrifice some college in order to work on his skating. It's not uncommon for skaters to do that, so I don't know why a few people here are insisting that college is more important than skating to the Shibs or D&W. I am sure they understand that the opportunity to win a world/Olympic medal does not come everyday, while they can get a college degree any day, even when they are 40 years old. Even Michelle Kwan had to put her UCLA studies for a while to compete at the world/Olympic level.

overedge
06-06-2012, 12:50 AM
The point I am making is 26 is not a normal age to get a bachelor's degree in the USA; it is 21-22 (unless one goes back to school after working).

The average completion time for a bachelor's degree in the US is 4.7 years, and there is some anecdotal evidence that students are starting to take even longer than that, mostly because tuition is getting more expensive. So students are taking time out of their programs to work and make money to pay tuition or offset student loans. There are also more older adults without bachelor's degrees returning to school to get one because it helps them in the job market. So what was the norm in Paul Wylie's time may not be the case now.

Vash01
06-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Is this the fastest moving off-season thread ever on fsu? Just curious.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Is this the fastest moving off-season thread ever on fsu? Just curious.
Just checked the FSU Archives... the Brian Orser/Yu-Na Kim "firing" thread started on 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM (post #1) and post #611 was made on 08-25-2010, 02:15 AM.

This thread was started on 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM and post #611 was made at 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM. So the answer is probably YES ... unless can someone else think of another contendor besides the Orser/Kim thread?

mgobluegirl
06-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Just checked the FSU Archives... the Brian Orser/Yu-Na Kim "firing" thread started on 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM (post #1) and post #611 was made on 08-25-2010, 02:15 AM.

This thread was started on 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM and post #611 was made at 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM. So the answer is probably YES ... unless can someone else think of another contendor besides the Orser/Kim thread?

According to that math, the Orser/Kim thread was moving faster, hitting 611 posts in roughly 28 hours, while this one took a whopping 48.

Sylvia
06-06-2012, 01:17 AM
:o

I was never good at math. :lol: Change my probably "yes" to "no."

Thanks, mgobluegirl!

ETA: However... I didn't count the related posts in the 2 "uber" threads in the Trash Can. ;)

VIETgrlTerifa
06-06-2012, 01:30 AM
That won't work. It's the off-season. We need saints and villains as much as we need tar and feathers.

Seriously.

The most entertaining thing about this thread is the way people have been so pro-Igor all of a sudden after hating his and Marina's style and skaters and are watering at the mouth with the thought of the end of Canton.