PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
That's my thought too. May be they just need more time to think through the whole thing. Why rush into making an announcement?

Imagine the drama at the Olympics if V&M actually do move to Igor's new rink, and then it's Igor vs. Maria at the Olympics for the gold medal.

I just don't see that happening. V/M are soft and feminine. Can Igor do that style by himself? Either way I think V/M are getting the gold medal. D/W will be lucky to get a bronze with W/P's star rising. This is just my politikal mind spinning..

flowerpower
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
And there's nothing wrong with that priority.... the assumption that college can wait assumes you are willing to have a much differnet experience then your fellow students. Being a freshman at 30 is not the same as at 18 :)

That's true, but if you're a top competitive athlete aiming at an Olympic medal, you make a lot of sacrifices, and one of them is probably that your school experience will be non-traditional. If having the full student experience at the conventional age is your priority, that's perfectly understandable, but you probably won't reach the top in your sport.

flowerpower
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
V/M are soft and feminine. Can Igor do that style by himself?

V/M may have been given that style (at certain times) by Marina, but they can do many styles - watch them do Kurt's choreo on CSOI! I've always wanted to see another choreographer exploit their musicality and skating skills (in competition). I'm hoping they leave, but not holding my breath.

overedge
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
V/M are soft and feminine.

Excuse me? Pink Floyd and several other programs say "hi".

quiqie
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
RSFS will welcome Shpilband if he decides to relocate to Russia - Alexander Gorshkov http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120605/599785110.html

It happened completely unexpectedly, both for us and for Igor, - said Gorshkov by phone to R-Sport agency. - We haven't contacted him yet. I don't think he can make any decisions after two-three days. But that we will absolutely welcome him, will wait for him - it's completely fair. Another question is, is it real? It should be his decision.

He spent so much time and effort creating his coaching school together with Marina, it's his baby, and I understand personally how hard it is for him to part with it

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Excuse me? Pink Floyd and several other programs say "hi".

"Hi" I'm not talking about their music, but their natural body movements.

caseyedwards
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
RSFS will welcome Shpilband if he decides to relocate to Russia - Alexander Gorshkov http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120605/599785110.html

It looks like its real! Zueva knew what she was doing when she started this or supported the effort to get rid of Shpiliband. Him going back and all this ending would have to be up to her! A new school and all that would likely be in Detroit anyway. I doubt he would move even if Russia was talking all the money possible! He can make tons whereever he goes.

sap5
06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I can't believe that Jo Ann Barnas is actually quoting Piseev as google translated. Very professional, congrats! :rolleyes:

Ugh. Truly awful.

hanca
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
It looks like its real! Zueva knew what she was doing when she started this or supported the effort to get rid of Shpiliband. Him going back and all this ending would have to be up to her! A new school and all that would likely be in Detroit anyway. I doubt he would move even if Russia was talking all the money possible! He can make tons whereever he goes.

He does not need to move to Russia. He may open his school wherever and as long as Russian Federation can send their dance couples with most potential to him, everyone will be happy. Shipland will have his own school with growing his own talented skaters, Russians (Piseev) will have Shipland... the only difference will be the demography. After all, Morozov doesn't teach full time in Russia either. I don't think Piseev would insist on him teaching in Russia. (I think teaching Russian skaters is what matters to Piseev more than teaching in Russia.)

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Morozov does pretty much work in Russia full-time and just goes to US for the Summer, IIRC.

But yeah, now that Shpilband doesn't work with all of the top teams any more, I am sure that even if he chooses to stay in the US, Russian Fed will start working with him more and sending him some dance teams (whether just for consultation or full-time).

hanca
06-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Morozov does pretty much work in Russia full-time and just goes to US for the Summer, IIRC.

But yeah, now that Shpilband doesn't work with all of the top teams any more, I am sure that even if he chooses to stay in the US, Russian Fed will start working with him more and sending him some dance teams (whether just for consultation or full-time).

Does he? I thought that they travel from place to place, and don't put roots down anywhere.

hanca
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I am just wondering, some of the articles are accusing Shpilband of 'opening his own school'. Maybe that actually was the reason for Zoueva or the top skaters wanting to get rid of him. Having his own students (as opposed to sharing them with Zoueva) may not matter as such, but if you have two huge and successful schools at one rink, it will get very crowded. It may have started with Shpilband wanting to start with two teams as someone else suggested here, but if he really planned to have his own students, his own school, it would probably not ended with just two couples. So more and more would be coming, and I think the rink may be full as it is. So this may be the reason why the top three teams were not happy with him (and neither was Zoueva), and why he got completely fired from the rink, as opposed to just being dropped as their coach but allowed to stay there and teach others.

Mevrouw
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I am just wondering, some of the articles are accusing Shipland .................... It may have started with Shipland .......................opposed to just being dropped as their coach but allowed to stay there and teach others.

Ummmmmm....Shpilband not Shipland

Theatregirl1122
06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
That's true, but if you're a top competitive athlete aiming at an Olympic medal, you make a lot of sacrifices, and one of them is probably that your school experience will be non-traditional. If having the full student experience at the conventional age is your priority, that's perfectly understandable, but you probably won't reach the top in your sport.

And, realistically, it is silly to be talking about Meryl, Charlie, or Alex (or Tessa and Scott although they are not UM students) having a typical college experience. That ship has already sailed for them. It's not about trading a regular college experience for another/an Olympic Medal at this point in their lives. They have already made that trade. It's a question of taking a couple of courses a semester next year and probably none in the 2013-2014 school year because of the Olys. When they are done skating and can be full time students (if that is what they choose) they will finish their degrees much faster. Tanith has already essentially done this coming back to EMU part time after she finished her skating career. The only person who could still have a conventional college education on the table is Maia and I'd bet she already made that decision.

I don't think UM would be nearly enough to keep the Shibs or Meryl and Charlie with Marina. But there are other factors in Michigan aside from just coaching that I'm sure are at play. Stability both in their home life and their training situation, familiarity with their rink, their schedule, and their training partners, etc. They'd have to weigh how much a disruption in these kinds of things would harm them versus how much a new coach would help them.

Aussie Willy
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Ahhhh the thread that just keeps on giving. :)