PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Vash01
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
So basically everyone should retire and go to college?

More seriously, I don't think these options are mutually exclusive. Some skaters are able to combine the two, and it's always possible to take time off or defer one's studies - for instance, Nathalie Pechalat had to relocate and needs time to train, so she's holding off on finishing her Master's. And some skaters wait until they retire, and it seems to do them no harm not to graduate at 22 like most Americans (e.g. Michelle Kwan).

Winning an Olympic medal, especially a gold, can bring about opportunities that a college degree wouldn't. If a skater is at the very top of the field, their decisions have to take into account what's best for their career.

Also, all this is besides the point, since Shpilband will presumably stay in the Detroit area. If the top Canton teams have chosen to stick with Marina, I don't think it's because they can't get an education otherwise.

ITA. Skaters have a limited amount of time to get to the top (Olympic medals, world championships, etc.). College can wait. Paul Wylie put his education on hold to first skate competitively, later to build a solid pro career. He eventually finished his MBA from Harvard, but there was no hurry. i don't see why any skater would sacrifice a promising skating career to get a college degree.

From what I read, only the top US teams have decided to stay with Marina. There has been no word from V&M or their fed. The "top three staying in Canton" came from Marina.

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
It is just speculation that they'd be more concerned, but given Tessa's previous experience with compartment syndrome, it would probably be helpful to have a coach who understands that medical condition well, and how to pace her training schedule to avoid recurrences.

Is Tessa's compartment syndrome something that keeps coming back, or has never healed? Why does she still have so many problems with it?

I would think that any reputable coach would know how to deal with injuries that arise in an athlete's career. If they are creative enough, they will work around it.

Yes, Linichuk told her to gain weight, and from several articles, I think Linichuk did a lot to help Tanith body-image wise.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is a chronic problem with the Canton girls being too thin or having problems with disordered eating.

The Canton girls are thin, but how do you know their eating is "disordered", and not a product of them working out 7 hours a day? Maybe they just put in more work and that's why the whole group is so successful.

aka_gerbil
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I never understood why people thought that the BA programs were bad. I thought that the AMEN program was beautiful. It's one of my favorites of theirs. I dont think Tanith pulls off dramatic as well as other dancers because she's generally so bright and pleasant. It was well layed out and suited them well. The costumes were another issue all together. PUTRID.

Amen is one of my favorite B/A programs as well. I will give you that the costumes needed some help. Actually, though, their first set of costumes actually worked pretty well.

The problem with Linichuk is that her concept of innovation is still dated. we shall see though.

I'm a big fan of what she did with DenStavs their last couple of years. I don't know that I would call her approach dated so much as different. Given that popularity for various coaches/choreographers tends to rise and fall, I figure she'll eventually be back in favor. She'll end up with a top team and come up with something brilliant, and that will be that. IMO, she's not any different from the other coaches/choreographers: they've all had their hits and misses.

Going back to the current situation in Canton, I still think there's more to it than the public has been told, especially given the fact that Igor was fired from the rink and none of the three top teams, especially D/W, wanted to go with him.

aka_gerbil
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Is Tessa's compartment syndrome something that keeps coming back, or has never healed? Why does she still have so many problems with it?

She had the initial surgery in fall of 2008, which did not correct the problem. She had another surgery in fall 2010 to open the additional compartments that were not opened in the first surgery. This worked until just after worlds last year. Rather than go for the third surgery, they started working with an expert, and ended up re-working her stroking technique so that she would use her upper legs (which she hasn't had a problem with) more than her lower legs. Doing that has apparantly gotten her out of pain as of now. Tessa talked a lot this past year about finally being 100% and being able to train fully and enjoy skating itself again.

I would think that any reputable coach would know how to deal with injuries that arise in an athlete's career. If they are creative enough, they will work around it.

That's my thought as well. These are high-level coaches dealing with elite athletes. They've all dealt with their students injuries before, know how to work with a medical team and the student, etc. It's not a quality unique to Marina Zueva, so I've found that reason a weak one for why V/M shouldn't seek outside choreography/coaching.

The Canton girls are thin, but how do you know their eating is "disordered", and not a product of them working out 7 hours a day? Maybe they just put in more work and that's why the whole group is so successful.

Just to be clear, I ABSOLUTELY was not saying that any of the current girls in Canton have disordered eating. I was referring to known cases in the past, such as Tanith and Jamie Silverstein, etc--where the skaters themselves have come forward. There was reportedly a lot of pressure for the girls to keep their weight down there. It seems like at one point in the past, the results of a training camp were deemed sucessful because all of the girls lost weight... It's not a huge secret that there have been issues, at least in the past, with weight and girls training in Canton. (And, again, I'm absolutely, 100% in no way saying that any of the girls currently training there have issues. I'm just going off of known cases from the past.)

Vash01
06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Going back to the current situation in Canton, I still think there's more to it than the public has been told, especially given the fact that Igor was fired from the rink and none of the three top teams, especially D/W, wanted to go with him.

It's only the top US teams that are staying. V&M have not said one way or another. Only Marina has said the top 3 teams are staying, and given her participation in this whole drama, she is the one I would trust the least.

Even if they do stay there, it does not necessarily mean that they hate Igor, or that Igor did something terrible (I am getting the sense from your post that he did something horrible).

Their reasons could be -1)stability (not having to change the rink and their schedules), 2)not knowing where Igor will go next, 3)pressure from their fed to stay in Canton, 4)other.

aka_gerbil
06-05-2012, 06:38 PM
It's only the top US teams that are staying. V&M have not said one way or another. Only Marina has said the top 3 teams are staying, and given her participation in this whole drama, she is the one I would trust the least.

True and I agree on not trusting her.

Even if they do stay there, it does not necessarily mean that they hate Igor, or that Igor did something terrible (I am getting the sense from your post that he did something horrible).

I'm not sold on it being something completely horrible or inappropriate, but just something big and there being something more to it that we don't know. Am I making any sense? I guess I feel like we're getting an oversimplifed and maybe not quite accurate depiction of events.

Jayar
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Regardless of what is happening in Canton, I am hoping that the 'kids' involved are able to train in peace. They are all wonderful people who just want the chance to go for their dreams, and they don't deserve this drama. I am sending them all good vibes so that their training goes on uninterrupted, and that they are able to leave the drama to us here at FSU.

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Press release:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120604/SPORTS18/120604082/1048/sports

I can't believe that Jo Ann Barnas is actually quoting Piseev as google translated. Very professional, congrats! :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure. Marina, no matter how great she is cannot keep up with coaching, doing choreography and traveling with the top 3 teams. Add to that the other teams in Canton. Then add to that the outside choreography she is doing for other pairs teams and singles skaters. She will have to have an assistant or new partner. If she does, this might actually work out in the favor of the Canton program. Maybe Gorshkov? hehehehe

Just trying to remain positive

She already has assistants. Always had.

By the way, Brandon was the most decorated coach in the entire national solo dance championship series last season, so it is not appropriate to insult him by being so dismissive of him.

Did Brandon coach any World and Olympic medallists?

No.

Hence whether he is established at his rink or not is completely irrelevant because Igor is a coach of a completely different calibre.

I guess it's just a different way of thinking, but I see it as a no brainer :confused: School/education over skating anyday!

You seriously believe that a college degree is worth more than an Olympic medal?

How many people are going to earn Olympic medals and how many people have college degrees?

Skating career is short, a college degree can be acquired at any point in life.

If I was looking to employ somebody and I would see that they are an Olympic medallist on their CV, I'd hire them straight away because it would prove they have an excellent work ethic.

Not like it's relevant because V/M, D/W and S/S are all going to make a decent living out of shows (and later coaching should they want to go into it) after they retire, college degree or not.

Once Igor gets a new rink and a training team in place, things will get very interesting. Why would the top 3 teams announce a departure to some unknown rink at this point? If the Italians become Igor's main team, they will improve technically and benefit from his politics. They could be the biggest winner in this deal.

Fingers crossed for this happening!

Cappellini/LaNotte just came for the Summer but given what happened, maybe they'll decide to stay with Igor?

I know one of new dance teams that Spilband has recently started to coach. They are an up and coming dance team who will likely represent a small nation in preparation for 2018 PC, rather than 2014 Sochi.

South Koreans? :watch:

bek
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
what I find is weird is why V/M, Shibs, and D/W would all want to stay together...which makes me think there really was tension with Igor. Maybe R/T are progressing beautifully and thats a cause for some tension.

Can I lift a prayer that the Russian fed steps in now and sends I/K to him. He's really what they need as a coach much more so than Nikolai.

Carolla5501
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
ITA. Skaters have a limited amount of time to get to the top (Olympic medals, world championships, etc.). College can wait. Paul Wylie put his education on hold to first skate competitively, later to build a solid pro career. He eventually finished his MBA from Harvard, but there was no hurry. i don't see why any skater would sacrifice a promising skating career to get a college degree.

From what I read, only the top US teams have decided to stay with Marina. There has been no word from V&M or their fed. The "top three staying in Canton" came from Marina.

I think perhaps you need to revisit the Paul Wylie story..

He actually went to undergraduate on the normal after high school schedule. He had his sucess after he completed his undergrad work at Harvard.

He did delay post graduate work for skating, but.... his first priority at the age of Davis/White and the Shibs was "college" And there's nothing wrong with that priority.... the assumption that college can wait assumes you are willing to have a much differnet experience then your fellow students. Being a freshman at 30 is not the same as at 18 :)

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
what I find is weird is why V/M, Shibs, and D/W would all want to stay together...which makes me think there really was tension with Igor. Maybe R/T are progressing beautifully and thats a cause for some tension.

Last thing I was expecting but maybe V/M are staying silent because they will be the ones leaving?

(GO TO ZAZOUI PLEASE! *dreams*)

bek
06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I think perhaps you need to revisit the Paul Wylie story..

He actually went to undergraduate on the normal after high school schedule. He had his sucess after he completed his undergrad work at Harvard.

He did delay post graduate work for skating, but.... his first priority at the age of Davis/White and the Shibs was "college" And there's nothing wrong with that priority.... the assumption that college can wait assumes you are willing to have a much differnet experience then your fellow students. Being a freshman at 30 is not the same as at 18 :)

You can't compare Paul Wylie to Davis/White... I suspect that nobody was more surprised at Paul's Olympic medal than Paul. He got extremely luck that people like Browning/Eldridge were injured, others didn't skate well etc. Paul's a beautiful skater but jump wise he wasn't really that competitive with the top guns.

If a skater isn't looking at Olympic/World medals they may very well want to consider college/future career. But if a skater has a realistic shot at Olympic Gold they may want to consider putting off college. Sasha Cohen, Tim Goebel, Michelle Kwan are just doing fine going to college later in life.

Perhaps if Paul had known just how close he would have come to Olympic Gold, he might have made a different choice....

Last thing I was expecting but maybe V/M are staying silent because they will be the ones leaving?

I keep wondering this too. It would certainly turn the whole Davis/White are Igor's babies, V/M are Marina's on the head, wouldn't it?

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Their reasons could be -1)stability (not having to change the rink and their schedules), 2)not knowing where Igor will go next, 3)pressure from their fed to stay in Canton, 4)other.

Not knowing which coach the skaters prefer more, I imagine that by staying in Canton, the skaters must have a little less scrutiny on them than if they had departed for Igor. It is a lot easier to stay where you are at, not rock the boat, and let Igor fend for himself. I think that if certain teams left with Igor it would have looked more like "war" with teams and coaches splitting up, pitting "Igor's team" against "Marina's team" in any future competitions. Avoiding this amount of pressure might have weighed on them and their decision.

It's hard enough to move training bases when you are prepared for it, so imagine if the rug is pulled from under you. So this season we will see how it affects the teams, and then next year if they depart for another coach, they will have had more time to make an informed decision, without feeling rushed or bullied. But I wouldn't expect this to happen leading up to Olys, unless training without Igor turns into a disaster.

pingu
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Cappellini/LaNotte just came for the Summer but given what happened, maybe they'll decide to stay with Igor?

They were going to leave at the end of June but now I don't know what are their plans, I mean, they don't even know in which rink they will train for the camp.
I don't think they'll decide to stay in Detroit because according to what they have told me they are happy of their training environment now, this has been their first season back in Milan and they have reached quite good results and liked the style of their programs.
I haven't heard their opinion about this Shpilband thing yet so as soon as I'll know something and I'll have the permission from them to write it here, I will :)

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:28 PM

(GO TO ZAZOUI PLEASE! *dreams*)

That's my thought too. May be they just need more time to think through the whole thing. Why rush into making an announcement?

Imagine the drama at the Olympics if V&M actually do move to Igor's new rink, and then it's Igor vs. Maria at the Olympics for the gold medal.