PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Cherub721
06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Has this article been translated yet: http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120604/599672867.html It was posted in V&M's thread.

vexlak
06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Politics and rumors...
Love the sport!
:respec:

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Once Igor gets a new rink and a training team in place, things will get very interesting. Why would the top 3 teams announce a departure to some unknown rink at this point? If the Italians become Igor's main team, they will improve technically and benefit from his politics. They could be the biggest winner in this deal.
Them and the top DSC teams, who have a great coaching/choreo team in place and no real upheavals to deal with. Hopefully ice dance will become more competitive next year and beyond.

This idea that they will all shift off to Igor once he gets a new set-up doesn't jive with what is being reported. The top 3 teams at Canton seem seriously unhappy with him.
We have PR statements from two skaters and nothing at all from V/M. At this point, I think it's impossible to say how the skaters really feel. Everyone seems to be very quiet on Twitter, too.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Kind of hoping Igor finds a way to work with I&K in the lead up to Sochi just for the sheer drama of it all. :drama:

And then for even more drama, Elena would cheat on Morozov with Shpilband and there'd be a crazy scandal. (And Nikita would still know nothing about it :lol:)

bek
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM
There are two sides of the story, and I think there must be something to it if all the students want to stay with Marina and not Igor. BUT I find the fact that they blindsided Igor and didn't give him the opportunity to find a new place to train with his students to be incredibly poor and classless behavior. There's no reason why this "firing" couldn't have happened in a classy manner.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Yep. She thought she could fool us but luckily enough you got wise to her. Silly Marina, you can never keep anything from FSU!

Because eventually ESTA will figure everything all out

skatingfan5
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I am somewhat :rofl: over the idea that UofM is a *world-reknown* university that students would give up their skating career and possible OGM to stay at though. I'm sure not wanting to change schools was a factor but so was staying near family (for D/W at least) and also staying with the coach who you feel is giving you the attention you deserve.Well, UofM is ranked below Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Oxford, and another handful of universities, but #14 in the world (http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world) is nothing to sniff at so I do think that "world reknown" might not be so :rofl:. :shuffle: It's another question altogether whether an elite skater's educational goals might outweigh his/her continued pursuit of Olympic medals.

Sylvia
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Has this article been translated yet: http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120604/599672867.html It was posted in V&M's thread.
Yes, summarized here yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3585576&postcount=337

USFS doesn't issue press releases when skaters change coaches usually. That's for the skaters and/or coach to do. They will write a news story about it eventually, I'm sure. But not being a news organization there is often a delay on when they get something up. (Well IN is sort of a news organization. But USFS isn't.)
IceNetwork's story about D/W and S/S staying with Zoueva was published this morning (link was posted by Jenna earlier in this thread) and was based primarily on the USFS' press release that was distributed to media organizations last night. For whatever reason, the press release has yet to be published on the USFS site.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Please don't get my hopes up like that. Yana & Nimbus 2014 were the best ice dance team evah! Thanks to the way he carried the team, of course...

And by this point, I'd take any Mama Zoueva says with a large grain of salt, including which teams are staying with her. It's entirely possible V/M are looking into other coaching options, but they're not exactly going to start broadcasting that before things are fully settled.

Or even after that. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear about a switch from any of the top teams until their first day of officially working with the new coaches.

aka_gerbil
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Although I've got to wonder what's so hot about either Johnny Johns or Marina Zoueva anyway. The thought of them ****ing makes me want to :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes:

:EVILLE:

Brain bleach! Where's my brain bleach?!?!

Debrah
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Everyone seems to be painting Marina as the villianess master manipulator and Igor as the hapless bewildered victim of politiking or conspiracy. Seems to me that Igor can't be entirely blameless or ignorant about the situation since the skater's all seem to be staying put with Marina, so perhaps they know something we don't, ya think?

I seem to recall sometime after Vancouver Olympics that Igor made his feelings known about his own loss of interest in both D&W AND V&M and in taking them on to Sochi for Gold, a sort of a been there done that, so want something new to hang his hat on annoucement to those around him. Igor seemingly wanted to train new team(s) for Sochi Gold. At the time I thought he was merely pushing for Shibs over D&W and V&M, but now I don't think so. I think he was likely warning everybody he wanted to go out on his own ( ditch Marina) and train new teams(without the influence of Marina in them) for Oly gold, so he could develop team strategy from scratch, or nearly so, and thus they would be his own creative and develpmental vision and thus his entirely his own glorious golden achievement, something he did not have to share with any other coach. So perhaps in this public firing of him, we are all merely witnessing his own manipulative if subconscious self sabatoge brought to a head all due to his alleged lack of focus on, and lack of time for his top 3 teams; his apathy and disinterest in them, or their goals for Sochi and it all came to a head around April; But in hindsight something was different since all three top teams had issues this past season in some way, shape, or form, possibly all 3 top teams reacting to what was going on tween Igor and the rest of the staff, and his apparent focus on other skaters? It's also likely these issues may have existed in some form since shortly after 2010 OG but it took this long for everybody to get ducks lined up and call him out on it in public? At the time, I thought Igor was just hinting about maybe dumping D&W and V&M in favour of the Shibs, but now I think something changed or he has had 2 other teams in mind all along (should be interesting to find out who they are specifically if my theory is right)...

My other thought is Tanith may now be whispering in Charlie's ear and reminding him about what happened when Igor lost interest in her and Ben and how their Oly dreams were thrown away by Igor, she possibly reminding Charlie that Igor is usually loyal only to his own agenda and raising his own professional profile, not so much to the goals of actual skater's he is training, since skater's come and go and he has enough ego to think he can now turn any young talented team he trains into champions. Just thinking out loud, however I honestly think it's dumb for any of us to speculate, or picks sides on who is right or wrong ( more likely neither coach is blameless with both and perhaps even the skater's all contributing to the relational or communciation breakdown of the partnership) and thus where skater's should be to train, since none of us really know what's going on and perhaps in this case the skater's should be left alone to figure out what is the best solution for them in the present circumstances? I doubt we will even really know what the full story is and will have to accept the PR sanitized script.

skatemommy
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
^ Debrah, this is very good!

Anya
06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
My other thought is Tanith may now be whispering in Charlie's ear and reminding him about what happened when Igor lost interest in her and Ben and how their Oly dreams were thrown away by Igor

Hmm? B&A were doing just fine under Shpilband and Zoueva until Tanith fell in that CD in Goteborg.

What makes you think that Igor lost interest in them? At the time it was fairly obvious that Zoueva preferred V&M as they were the only team she spoke about, even then asked direct question about working with D&W or B&A, but I do not remember reading or hearing anything about Igor's thoughts on the matter.

If anything B&A Oly dream were thrown away then they decided to leave for Linichuk... Or then they accepted programs she offered them for 2009-2010 season.

minignome
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
There are two sides of the story, and I think there must be something to it if all the students want to stay with Marina and not Igor. BUT I find the fact that they blindsided Igor and didn't give him the opportunity to find a new place to train with his students to be incredibly poor and classless behavior. There's no reason why this "firing" couldn't have happened in a classy manner.

As you said there are 2 sides to every story. I'm not sure it's a "fact" that Igor was blindsided. He says he was, but, who knows how many times the skaters voiced their concerns and he could not/would not address the issues.

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 05:01 PM
^^ Was Tanith unhappy with Shpilband, or with both S & Z? All I know is that Linichuk told her that she was too thin - something we've seen with Canton skaters since then - and made her gain a few pounds so she could be stronger. But Anya's right, B/A's Olympic dreams ended because they had bad programs and because their coach and federation were politiking for others.

Anyway, I have no idea what happened at Arctic Edge, but it's the off-season and this is a huge story, so it's fun to speculate. And I must say, I am not impressed with how this was handled. Even if Shpilband were neglectful and disinterested, the way he was treated seems inappropriate. Skaters at that level who are unhappy with a coach should communicate it to the coach, and if that doesn't work, then make other arrangements and notify the coach of it. Sending rink management to deliver the news with no notice, and leaving him scrambling, doesn't strike me as professional on anyone's part.

Unless there's something much bigger going on. But so long as everyone is sticking with the PR story, Igor is not the one who comes out looking badly.