PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mia joy
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Apart from everything that's being said here, haven't the teams started working on their programs already? Like, with Igor involved? Is he now gonna come in and say: "this part of the routine is mine, give it back"? I know it sounds silly, but I don't quite know how the creating-the-program process works, so just wondering.

Dragonlady
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I have always thought that Marina was closer to V&M than Igor and that she, not Igor was the reason for their success. Once Marina started working with Igor, the choreography and packaging of the teams improved immensely.

I would be very surprised if V&M stayed with Igor.

sap5
06-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Apart from everything that's being said here, haven't the teams started working on their programs already? Like, with Igor involved? Is he now gonna come in and say: "this part of the routine is mine, give it back"? I know it sounds silly, but I don't quite know how the creating-the-program process works, so just wondering.

I had the impression that program ideas and perhaps music had been decided already, but not actual choreography/footwork, etc. If Igor had some input in that, it might be possible to switch to something else fairly easily if that proves to be a problem.

literaryfreak
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
As a purely practical matter, the teams MUST get their programs ready for next season now or they'll be way behind. How difficult would that task be when you don't even know (1) who your coach(es) will be and (2) where you'll be training?

I worry most about the Shibs. They have so many ways to develop artistically and their growth has been stunted the last couple of years.

I know, right? I'm purely guessing that anyone who goes with Igor right now would have no rink to skate at, no facilities, no training for at least a week if not longer. If they wanted that, they'd have to arrange it on their own. Igor's probably not thinking about music or choreography right now either. It would completely disrupt their off-season training. Choosing Marina makes the most sense in the short-term.

Maybe once Igor is settled, there might be a chance of some moving over to him? I'll foolishly hope.

Jenna
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
S/S and D/W are sticking with Zoueva (http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790328&vkey=ice_news).

kirkbiggestfan
06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Once Igor gets a new rink and a training team in place, things will get very interesting. Why would the top 3 teams announce a departure to some unknown rink at this point? If the Italians become Igor's main team, they will improve technically and benefit from his politics. They could be the biggest winner in this deal.

Golightly
06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
If I'm Virtue or Moir, I'd be worried about my training base becoming a political mess. What is more, even if they were Marina's favorites, which I doubt, she's going to be running things now, how much time and dedication will she be able to give them? Emotionally, for Tessa particularly, this must very difficult. Everyone knows she and Marina are close, but professionally-wise, does it work for them to stay in Canton considering all this instability? Or perhaps go back to Canada and train there and keep Marina's choreo, maybe use outside choreography?

Of course, I am speculating. Marina knows Tessa's condition pretty well, she knows how to work around those issues as well. These are things a coach needs to know, you don't get that with a new coach two years from Sochi. I do think they are considering leaving. Not because I have any source or anything, but because it is logical. We'll see.

aliceanne
06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow, Igor sure pissed a lot of people off for someone who is supposed to be such a good politician.

sap5
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow, Igor sure pissed a lot of people off for someone who is supposed to be such a good politician.

Lol. It's like reading about Julius Caesar.

Golightly
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
LOL. Now the image of Marina as Brutus is stuck in my head forever.

manleywoman
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Seriously.

My :sekret: tell me Igor just wasn't there a lot. I guess he spread himself too thin and wasn't coaching as much as the skaters thought they needed?

bmcg
06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
That reads more to me like some skaters only wanted to be coached by Shpilband, not Zoueva, and she had a hissy. Why does she get to "give consent" to his every action? I'd think he's more of a draw as a coach than she is.

Seriously.

My :sekret: tell me Igor just wasn't there a lot. I guess he spread himself too thin and wasn't coaching as much as the skaters thought they needed?

And when you look at all the different quotes out there by the different parties, him included, that seems the most logical explanation. Branching out on his own was always going to affect the business/students he already had. Most people have been saying for years how full Canton is so it's a bit surprising to me that Marina is the evil one in this situation when logically one wonders how you can branch out when you already have a very full house and not let something slide.

MacMadame
06-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Compuware the store doesn't exist anymore? Whoops :slinkaway
There may be stores here and there. I can't find them on Google, but that doesn't mean the don't exist. But the stores in our area closed down as part of some sort of bankruptcy action in the late 80s and I thought all the stores closed down at that time as well.

As far as the teams staying are concerned, I would think they would know who would be the best to coach them and that they'd choose that over location. But that's just my assumption as it's what I would do if I were in their place. :)
I think it's all a factor and what is the most important is going to vary based on the circumstances and the person. Sometimes the best situation isn't an option so you make compromises.

I am somewhat :rofl: over the idea that UofM is a *world-reknown* university that students would give up their skating career and possible OGM to stay at though. I'm sure not wanting to change schools was a factor but so was staying near family (for D/W at least) and also staying with the coach who you feel is giving you the attention you deserve.

And yet there is no press release on the US Figure Skating web site or their own mouthpiece, icenetwork. :confused:
USFS doesn't issue press releases when skaters change coaches usually. That's for the skaters and/or coach to do. They will write a news story about it eventually, I'm sure. But not being a news organization there is often a delay on when they get something up. (Well IN is sort of a news organization. But USFS isn't.)

No, that's not how it works. Once you get a program, it's yours. Plus, it's going to change 100x between now and Worlds so any contributions he made could easily be wiped out.

Which is exactly what the article said. The top skaters felt Igor wasn't there for them.

This idea that they will all shift off to Igor once he gets a new set-up doesn't jive with what is being reported. The top 3 teams at Canton seem seriously unhappy with him.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I had the impression that program ideas and perhaps music had been decided already, but not actual choreography/footwork, etc. If Igor had some input in that, it might be possible to switch to something else fairly easily if that proves to be a problem.

In my observations at the rinks here, the skaters at this point in the season have picked their music and begun choreography, although the choreo is in the early stages.

Once the choreo is part of your program, it's yours to use. You've paid the coach or choreographer, so even if you no longer use that person, you can keep the work they did with you.

pingu
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Once Igor gets a new rink and a training team in place, things will get very interesting. Why would the top 3 teams announce a departure to some unknown rink at this point? If the Italians become Igor's main team, they will improve technically and benefit from his politics. They could be the biggest winner in this deal.

Are you talking about Cappellini/Lanotte? They are just going to attend a summer camp with Shpilband, not moving there AFAIK