PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

FunnyBut
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
What about Igor's two new teams (the two he coached without Marina)? Did they skate at Canton? If they did, I suppose they don't have a rink right now.

I also have to think there was an serious availibility issue on Igor's part, otherwise all 3 teams would not be siding with Marina. Either that, or some of them are waiting for Igor to get settled at a new facility.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, what is more valuable in the long run? The medals? NO. The degrees they obtain at a world renowned University like U of M should be more valuable if you consider that after Ice Dance, they have LONG lives to live.
Well, yeah, because the life is over at the age of 25, and if you try to get a degree at the age of 26, you're doomed and will have to lead a miserable life of a street beggar.

And after all, there are literally thousands of Olympic champions, but only very few graduates from a world renowned University like U of M.

dots
06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
It does seem so well choreographed by Marina, as I said before.

Hm... I think people are ignoring one minor but IMPORTANT detail. Igor was about to start training skaters by himself and most probably wanted to end his partnership with Marina( somewhere down the road). It could be that he was planning to stay in Canton by himself. In other words get Marina out.

I could see how that could turn his students against him. Especially those who were closer to him. "Daddy is trying to kick mommy out of the house!!!"

:puppet:

ioana
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I think it's obvious. Dear all, be very prepared for the return of Fedor Andreev :sekret:

Please don't get my hopes up like that. Yana & Nimbus 2014 were the best ice dance team evah! Thanks to the way he carried the team, of course...

And by this point, I'd take any Mama Zoueva says with a large grain of salt, including which teams are staying with her. It's entirely possible V/M are looking into other coaching options, but they're not exactly going to start broadcasting that before things are fully settled.

dots
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, yeah, because the life is over at the age of 25, and if you try to get a degree at the age of 26, you're doomed and will have to lead a miserable life of a street beggar.

And after all, there are literally thousands of Olympic champions, but only very few graduates from a world renowned University like U of M.

I guess it's just a different way of thinking, but I see it as a no brainer :confused: School/education over skating anyday!

mia joy
06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
The decision to stay in Canton by D/W & Shibs is most likely based on their considering, along with their parents advice, that their education away from FS is far ore important to them than any Olympic or World medal.

Hmmm, what is more valuable in the long run? The medals? NO. The degrees they obtain at a world renowned University like U of M should be more valuable if you consider that after Ice Dance, they have LONG lives to live.

All that's true, but I really don't see a problem in taking a year or two off school, becoming an Olympic champion and obtaining the degrees you're talking about afterwards. I just don't get why they couldn't have it all. They're surely talented and intelligent enough to pull it off.

I think maybe it's more about them feeling comfortable with where they live and how they live, with having their friends and families close-by, with not wanting to turn their lives upside down entirely, cause it might as well influence their skating. Education is important, but I don't believe it's the deciding factor here.

And really, do you know how many people in the world obtain university degrees every year? A HELL LOT OF PEOPLE. Obtaining an Olympic title is far more difficult. I know it's important to be practical and think about your future blah blah blah but it's also important to follow your dreams and do whatever it takes to make them come true.

To be clear: I'm not questioning their decision, even though I wanted Meryl and Charlie to leave Zoueva, I believe they're much more capable of deciding what's best for them than all of us. I'm just questioning your statement that finishing school on schedule is more important than becoming an OGM.

Hedwig
06-05-2012, 02:18 PM

And then Olympic champions and World champions cannot make any money without a degree. they will just starve. :rolleyes:

For people who sacrificed so much in their lifes for skating - family, friends, money etc it is pretty funny to suggest that all of the sudden education is the driving factor in their skating environment decision.

What really surprises me about this is how close knit the group still appears to be. 2 years before the next Olympics and if (big if) the allegation is true that the 3 teams together decided to have Igor thrown out I cannot help but wonder about them not showing any rivalry between them at all. Are they really this close knit and best buddy friend and only think of the great good? Is none of them selfishly thinking about how to manipulate so that their chance to win the Olympics is bigger?
Or is one of the teams doing it right now and I don't really see their point?

I just cannot see three successful teams throwing out their coach for a scheduling conflict.

Hedwig
06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I guess it's just a different way of thinking, but I see it as a no brainer :confused: School/education over skating anyday!

For 99% of the skaters yes. Because they will make almost no money from skating afterwards.
This does not hold true for D/W, S/S and especially not for V/M.

zotza
06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I personally think that no 20-something elite ice dancer really believes that coaches X and Y are their mom and dad.When everything comes down to their careers,things change.And there are a lot of things about every training group's dynamics that outsiders will never know.So we may be in shock everytime we hear that a skater left a coach after so many years.

So the top 3 Canton teams didn't want Igor in the group.Let's say it's entirely true.The management would of course go with the teams even if this would be eventually bad for their careers,because the management really cares about the fact that little Mary and Johnny will want to skate to the club that Tessa Scott Meryl Charlie are skating.Maybe little Mary's mom will think about who is the coach there.But commercially speaking,the skaters are the main attractions.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, yeah, as someone who started his masters at the age of 30, I'm very amused to hear that it's impossible to let the education wait for 2 years.

And it's one thing to give up skating for the education when you're top goal is to go to the Olympics and finish in the top 20, and another when you're nearly a lock for an Olympic medal, possibly gold. Like what Hedwig said.

flowerpower
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
What really surprises me about this is how close knit the group still appears to be. 2 years before the next Olympics and if (big if) the allegation is true that the 3 teams together decided to have Igor thrown out I cannot help but wonder about them not showing any rivalry between them at all. Are they really this close knit and best buddy friend and only think of the great good?

It doesn't have to be "the greater good", it could simply be that all teams want stability (for differing reasons), and they've been forced to make a choice - Marina and Arctic Edge, or Igor and some unpredictable environment elsewhere (or look for a completely different alternative, with the risk and disruption that would involve).

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
So basically everyone should retire and go to college?

More seriously, I don't think these options are mutually exclusive. Some skaters are able to combine the two, and it's always possible to take time off or defer one's studies - for instance, Nathalie Pechalat had to relocate and needs time to train, so she's holding off on finishing her Master's. And some skaters wait until they retire, and it seems to do them no harm not to graduate at 22 like most Americans (e.g. Michelle Kwan).

Winning an Olympic medal, especially a gold, can bring about opportunities that a college degree wouldn't. If a skater is at the very top of the field, their decisions have to take into account what's best for their career.

Also, all this is besides the point, since Shpilband will presumably stay in the Detroit area. If the top Canton teams have chosen to stick with Marina, I don't think it's because they can't get an education otherwise.

LilJen
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I think it's naive to think any team would follow him when he's practically homeless at the moment. What would happen to their training? For now the smart thing to do is to stay where they are until Igor can find find a sutable ice rink, then we might see some changes.

The decision to stay in Canton by D/W & Shibs is most likely based on their considering, along with their parents advice, that their education away from FS is far ore important to them than any Olympic or World medal.

I think maybe it's more about them feeling comfortable with where they live and how they live, with having their friends and families close-by, with not wanting to turn their lives upside down entirely, cause it might as well influence their skating. Education is important, but I don't believe it's the deciding factor here.

As a purely practical matter, the teams MUST get their programs ready for next season now or they'll be way behind. How difficult would that task be when you don't even know (1) who your coach(es) will be and (2) where you'll be training?

I worry most about the Shibs. They have so many ways to develop artistically and their growth has been stunted the last couple of years.

allezfred
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
What really surprises me about this is how close knit the group still appears to be.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer innit. :2faced:

attyfan
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't the balance between education/family/friends, etc. and skating be different for V/M and D/W, who already have Oly medals, than for others who are on the way up? V/M can put stability first because they already have an OGM. D/W might be putting their educaton first because adding an OGM to their OSM (which may not happen) isn't going to add more shows to the SOI tour, or, create new pro events.