PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Mayra
06-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Kind of hoping Igor finds a way to work with I&K in the lead up to Sochi just for the sheer drama of it all. :drama:

jenniferlyon
06-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Sounds to me like the top teams threw a fit just because Shpilband wasn't going to be spending quite as much time with them as he has in the past because he wanted to also coach some other teams. Marina does not come out of this looking good at all. Still i was hoping D&W would go with Igor. He was the reason why the US has become a power in Ice Dancing. Bad move i think for D&W and the Shibs to ditch Igor. Seems they think they needed to have all of Igor's attention all the time.

But Igor getting FIRED??? Makes no sense.

Hanna
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Eeek dare I get my hopes up? Could this mean that V/M are :kickass:-ing Zoueva and getting some interesting choreographies for next year?

ETA: Meh I guess I got too excited too soon.

Hanna
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
There is such a thing as too much media training... where's Patrick Chan when you need him? ;)

Or some Russian straightforwardness (I'm sure that's not a word).

twizzletoes76
06-05-2012, 09:03 AM
But Igor getting FIRED??? Makes no sense.

None of this makes sense. My heart just goes out to Igor at the moment. He deserves a tremendous amount of respect for all the work he has done for US Ice Dance over the years. He also deserves a tremendous amount of respect for having such a unique creative intelligence. I just hope when this situation becomes more settled, his top US teams, namely Meryl/Charlie & the Shibs, will find a way to come back to him. I just can't help feeling that in some way his name must have been slandered and that his US teams were told not to work with him, versus them coming to that choice on their own. I have always been such a fan of Meryl & Charlie in particular and see so much of their success as dependent on their work with Igor that it seems ridiculous to think that they would choose to leave on their own. They are bright kids and I have to believe they will find a way to return the loyalty he's shown them at some later date.

Aussie Willy
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
There is such a thing as too much media training... where's Patrick Chan when you need him? ;)
OMG - this is a whole Patrick Chan konspiracy. You know, everyone talks about this and stops talking about Chan's coaching situation.

Maybe one of the new couples was Chan taking up ice dancing and he has found a partner.

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Maybe one of the new couples was Chan taking up ice dancing and he has found a partner.
Possibly that's why Vanessa Crone split with Nikolaj Sorenson... :sekret:

:sekret:
I heard that Shpilband is moving to Metulla, Israel.
:rofl: Or maybe Eilat?

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-05-2012, 09:50 AM
:rofl: Or maybe Eilat?
Oh, yes! The new rink on a beach resort with all year long good weather!
I'm sure he's going to be ecstatic about the idea! :D

pani
06-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Eeek dare I get my hopes up? Could this mean that V/M are :kickass:-ing Zoueva and getting some interesting choreographies for next year?

ETA: Meh I guess I got too excited too soon.

Why you think so? Zoueva said all three team stay with her at AEA.
It will be more interestiong next season, when all this team will ask Igor to take them back :D

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok, I think I know what happened.

First of all, the source is obviously Zoueva. There are several sources that state that the "kids" had nothing to do with it.
But why? 1.5 before the the Olympics - why would anyone go and risk everything? This way or another, such turbulence is not going to improve the chances of V/M and D/W to win the Olympics (even if they are still the favorites).

That can mean only one thing - there's an internal interest of Zoueva to weaken Canton group. Seemingly, it doesn't make any sense - why would she harm her own chances of becoming the coach of the Olympic champions? What can possibly cause a woman to throw away her career?

I think it's obvious. Dear all, be very prepared for the return of Fedor Andreev :sekret:

l'etoile
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Ok, I think I know what happened.

First of all, the source is obviously Zoueva. There are several sources that state that the "kids" had nothing to do with it.
But why? 1.5 before the the Olympics - why would anyone go and risk everything? This way or another, such turbulence is not going to improve the chances of V/M and D/W to win the Olympics (even if they are still the favorites).

That can mean only one thing - there's an internal interest of Zoueva to weaken Canton group. Seemingly, it doesn't make any sense - why would she harm her own chances of becoming the coach of the Olympic champions? What can possibly cause a woman to throw away her career?

I think it's obvious. Dear all, be very prepared for the return of Fedor Andreev :sekret:

Come on, seriously? IMO "conflicts of interest" say it all. They just didn't agree with how things were going and they disagreed real hard. And the skaters simply agreed more on what Zoueva has to say or do. This is business, you know.

Okay, on a second thought, I think I might have taken it wrong, that you were going for a joke. If that's the case, sorry Pushkin.

kapriza
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Yep. She thought she could fool us but luckily enough you got wise to her. Silly Marina, you can never keep anything from FSU!

PairSk8Fan
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
The decision to stay in Canton by D/W & Shibs is most likely based on their considering, along with their parents advice, that their education away from FS is far ore important to them than any Olympic or World medal.

Hmmm, what is more valuable in the long run? The medals? NO. The degrees they obtain at a world renowned University like U of M should be more valuable if you consider that after Ice Dance, they have LONG lives to live.

The team with no such tie to the area is V/M. I wonder what SC will tell them to do? My guess is that they will announce that they will split their time with Zoueva for choreography and train back home in Canada, visiting Canton for "polish."

It does seem so well choreographed by Marina, as I said before.

The team in trouble for this season are the Shibs, as time for them and politiKs will be sacrificed for D/W and the rink's program, as the rink will be demanding more of her, her boyfriend and maybe her son will join the coaching staff too.

We shall see, and I am very surprised that the views of SC and are remaining so well hidden to the press so far, not even a "no comment."

Meredith
06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
The decision to stay in Canton by D/W & Shibs is most likely based on their considering, along with their parents advice, that their education away from FS is far ore important to them than any Olympic or World medal.

Hmmm, what is more valuable in the long run? The medals? NO. The degrees they obtain at a world renowned University like U of M should be more valuable if you consider that after Ice Dance, they have LONG lives to live.

ITA with the above likely scenario, along with the relative stability of remaining in the their present training place.

Sylvia
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
This Associated Press newswire article (based on the Detroit Free Press article and the USFS press release) has started to make the rounds online: http://espn.go.com/olympics/figureskating/story/_/id/8010677/the-united-states-dismissed-igor-shpilband-ice-dance-director

And yet there is no press release on the US Figure Skating web site or their own mouthpiece, icenetwork. :confused:
Since the press release came out late last night, it should show up on the USFS site and IceNetwork this morning.