PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

oleada
06-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Wow, this is a shock. I can't say it gives me a good feeling for the teams.

overedge
06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Although I've got to wonder what's so hot about either Johnny Johns or Marina Zoueva anyway. The thought of them ****ing makes me want to :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes:

Dude, you owe me a new keyboard....

Zemgirl
06-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Press release:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120604/SPORTS18/120604082/1048/sports
Ugh, the meaningless PR-speak from the skaters:

“After a long and rewarding partnership with Igor Shpilband, we hold the firm conviction that Igor’s expertise and investment in our career have been integral to our success,” Davis said. “We will have nothing but fond memories and sincere appreciation for our time with Igor.”

Alex Shibutani said of Shpilband: “He is a great coach and we appreciate everything he has done for us.”
There is such a thing as too much media training... where's Patrick Chan when you need him? ;)

carriecmu0503
06-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Not being from around there, I have no knowledge of whether there is ice time at AA or at any rink in the surrounding area, but I certainly don't see how Brandon Forsythe being established in AA would rule out a coach the caliber of Igor.

That's a rather short sighted comment. You, not being from the area, are unaware of just how many skaters Brandon has. He is a younger and newer coach, but he is having good success with novice level teams at the moment. Even Igor had to get his start somewhere. Also, with Yasa and Yuri having many teams, and Brandon having many skaters, there isn't exactly enough ice for another school of dance at that rink.

By the way, Brandon was the most decorated coach in the entire national solo dance championship series last season, so it is not appropriate to insult him by being so dismissive of him.

PinkFeathers
06-05-2012, 06:22 AM

There is such a thing as too much media training... where's Patrick Chan when you need him? ;)

Maybe this isn't why Scott hasn't said anything yet :rofl:

Vash01
06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
That's a rather short sighted comment. You, not being from the area, are unaware of just how many skaters Brandon has. He is a younger and newer coach, but he is having good success with novice level teams at the moment. Even Igor had to get his start somewhere. Also, with Yasa and Yuri having many teams, and Brandon having many skaters, there isn't exactly enough ice for another school of dance at that rink.

By the way, Brandon was the most decorated coach in the entire national solo dance championship series last season, so it is not appropriate to insult him by being so dismissive of him.

Isn't there a HUGE difference between a novice level coach who is just starting his career and one who has already established himself as one who coached an OGM and multiple world championship and world medallists? Some day Brandon may reach that height but it's ridiculous to compare him with Igor at THIS time. Let him win a few senior level competitions at the international level first.

Vash01
06-05-2012, 06:30 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vash01
06-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Virtue and Moir aren't speaking either. What is up with that? I think they are the ones who might leave. Curiouser and curiouser.

Right now, the best thing for skaters is to say as little as possible, and it seems that's what D&S and S&S are doing. Let things develop, then make some decisions. The silence by V&M is intriguing. Part of me says it could mean they may want to move with Igor, but OTOH I doubt that they want to burn their bridges with Arctic/Marina right now.

I don't see Marina being able to coach and choreograph at the same time, so many eligible ice dancers. She/the rink will hire another coach to work with her. It will be interesting to see who they go for. I am sure V&M and D&S will have a say in this, behind the scenes.

Right now it does not sound like any of the skaters will leave the rink, but again it's too early. I cannot imagine a coach of Igor's caliber not being pursued by many other rinks/cities. Once he is settled, he is bound to get some top level teams. It's easier to find top choreographers than top coaches.

Vagabond
06-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Press release:

“After a long and rewarding partnership with Igor Shpilband, we hold the firm conviction that Igor’s expertise and investment in our career have been integral to our success,” Davis said. “We will have nothing but fond memories and sincere appreciation for our time with Igor.”

Alex Shibutani said of Shpilband: “He is a great coach and we appreciate everything he has done for us.”

I wonder whether the skaters in question were even consulted as to the contents of that press release. :shuffle:

Conga
06-05-2012, 06:50 AM

I was neither insulting nor dismissing Brandon any more than you were stating with such authority (dismissing) that AA was not an option for Igor. I was referring to the fact that it is not totally uncommon for there to be multiple coaches of differing levels at the same facility. Case in point is someone like Seth Chavetz at the DSC who has been there many years and successfully coached D/W pre-Igor.

As a fan of the sport, I'm happy to hear your report of so many ice dance students at AA that your ice is full all the time. Most rink managers and clubs would be ecstatic to be in that position in this economy.

I also don't think that the previous poster was proposing the idea of, probably tongue-in-cheek, another school of dance, but one that would join forces ("team up") with Yasa and Yuri.

Conga
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Isn't there a HUGE difference between a novice level coach who is just starting his career and one who has already established himself as one who coached an OGM and multiple world championship and world medallists? Some day Brandon may reach that height but it's ridiculous to compare him with Igor at THIS time. Let him win a few senior level competitions at the international level first.

This too ^^^

BittyBug
06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted this out:

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford

New US Figure Skating press release: Davis&White and Maia&Alex Shibutani will train at Arctic Edge this season with MZoueva as head coach.

Press release:

And yet there is no press release on the US Figure Skating web site or their own mouthpiece, icenetwork. :confused:

Jammers
06-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Sounds to me like the top teams threw a fit just because Shpilband wasn't going to be spending quite as much time with them as he has in the past because he wanted to also coach some other teams. Marina does not come out of this looking good at all. Still i was hoping D&W would go with Igor. He was the reason why the US has become a power in Ice Dancing. Bad move i think for D&W and the Shibs to ditch Igor. Seems they think they needed to have all of Igor's attention all the time.

arakwafan2006
06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Maybe Johnny John since she is dating him. It's going to be "family business", her boyfriend becomes her business partner, her son is dating her top student. Everything is under her control :rolleyes: I can see DSC camp cerebrating now!! I hope Igor go to Ann Arbor, they have plenty ice for his students, he can team up with Yasa and Yuri. It will be an awesome business partnership :D!!

I could swear Johnny was married to Lynda Johns? No?

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:23 AM
It was already pretty crowded in Canton, with multiple egos clashing. May be the separation will benefit all parties. Only time will tell.

I also get the feel that Marina had consulted with the USFSA before taking this action with the rink's management, so the rink will not lose its top skaters. Very smart, but too political for my taste.