PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

arakwafan2006
06-05-2012, 05:01 AM
I wondered about the Onyx in Rochester Hills. It's a 3-rink facility - more ice time. That's where Callaghan was just after he left DSC. Just a thought.

I thought that as well but its a ways away from Canton...a ways...

leafygreens
06-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Nothing about this makes any sense to me.

If the skaters didnt like the amount of time they were getting from Igor, why not just fire him as their coach [refuse to pay for time he's not giving them]. Demanding he leave the rink just sounds OTT. Plus now Charlie's mother is totally denying it.

I would like to know as well. If you don't like your coach, then just don't take from them anymore? Why go to their "boss" and get them fired?

dots
06-05-2012, 05:20 AM
I think it's naive to think any team would follow him when he's practically homeless at the moment. What would happen to their training? For now the smart thing to do is to stay where they are until Igor can find find a sutable ice rink, then we might see some changes.

Obviously there're some trust issues as well, maybe D/W also felt like Igor was ditching them in favor of a new family. It seems like Igor was trying to break away from the camp. It's a funny dynamic between coach and student. It might seem silly to us, but feelings can get hurt when coach and student are that close. It becomes personal.

dinakt
06-05-2012, 05:23 AM
I've got to say, this makes me feel like D&W are in trouble.

I feel the same, and really hope I am wrong.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Obviously there're some trust issues as well, maybe D/W also felt like Igor was ditching them in favor of a new family.

I don't see how they could be surprised about that. It's happened over and over with Igor. See: L&T and B&A for starters.

arakwafan2006
06-05-2012, 05:28 AM
One thing is for sure. Marina, no matter how great she is cannot keep up with coaching, doing choreography and traveling with the top 3 teams. Add to that the other teams in Canton. Then add to that the outside choreography she is doing for other pairs teams and singles skaters. She will have to have an assistant or new partner. If she does, this might actually work out in the favor of the Canton program. Maybe Gorshkov? hehehehe

Just trying to remain positive

arakwafan2006
06-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I almost forgot. This has to be the most out of the blue and shocking coaching change since Michelle left Frank...

Vagabond
06-05-2012, 05:31 AM
This doesn't ring true. Why would all three of the teams be saying this to the rink owner and the general manager instead of Shpilband himself?

Because that is what people do? I daresay the skaters have asked the rink manager to represent them on their behalf, particularly if they all have the same concerns.

Is it?

I was always under the impression that skaters (or their parents) simply terminated their coaches' contracts if things weren't working out.

I would have thought this to be especially true for skaters who, like Virtue, Moir, Davis, and White, are all well into their twenties, have been World champions and Olympic champions, and (in at least three cases) have some tertiary education.

And if they needed someone to "represent" them, wouldn't it be their parents, their agent, or their other coach, not a rink manager?

rhumba
06-05-2012, 05:38 AM
One thing is for sure. Marina, no matter how great she is cannot keep up with coaching, doing choreography and traveling with the top 3 teams. Add to that the other teams in Canton. Then add to that the outside choreography she is doing for other pairs teams and singles skaters. She will have to have an assistant or new partner. If she does, this might actually work out in the favor of the Canton program. Maybe Gorshkov? hehehehe

Just trying to remain positive

Maybe Johnny John since she is dating him. It's going to be "family business", her boyfriend becomes her business partner, her son is dating her top student. Everything is under her control :rolleyes: I can see DSC camp cerebrating now!! I hope Igor go to Ann Arbor, they have plenty ice for his students, he can team up with Yasa and Yuri. It will be an awesome business partnership :D!!

carriecmu0503
06-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Maybe Johnny John since she is dating him. It's going to be "family business", her boyfriend becomes her business partner, her son is dating her top student. Everything is under her control :rolleyes: I can see DSC camp cerebrating now!! I hope Igor go to Ann Arbor, they have plenty ice for his students, he can team up with Yasa and Yuri. It will be an awesome business partnership :D!!

As I said earlier, Brandon Forsyth is also well established in Ann Arbor in addition to Yasa and Yuri. I skate in Ann Arbor, and there is not an abundance of spare ice time. I don't think AA is an option.

UMBS Go Blue
06-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Maybe Johnny John since she is dating him. It's going to be "family business", her boyfriend becomes her business partner, her son is dating her top student. Everything is under her control :rolleyes::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Although I've got to wonder what's so hot about either Johnny Johns or Marina Zoueva anyway. The thought of them ****ing makes me want to :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes: :scream: :yikes:

:EVILLE:

Allskate
06-05-2012, 05:53 AM
So, still no official word about what V&M are doing?

I'm still stunned by this news.

yoyo1
06-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Speculating is fun.... but.

I think the biggest problem people are having with believing a simple explanation (conflict of interest on the business-side) is that they assume these athletes are naive, nice simple, robot-types who play loyal to coach "mom" or "dad"

Is it hard to believe the top dance teams would decide together on a shut out for Igor "dad"?
Is it hard to believe that they would make a decision based on business and professionalism--- not emotion----however hard that decision might be?
Do you think they have the balls to do it?
You might be surprised.

Speculating is fun and entertaining on the off-season. I hope this sends figure skating ratings right up the roof in the U.S. But before going on a witch hunt I say wait--- more is bound to come to light as the summer enfolds.

the end

Conga
06-05-2012, 05:57 AM
As I said earlier, Brandon Forsyth is also well established in Ann Arbor in addition to Yasa and Yuri. I skate in Ann Arbor, and there is not an abundance of spare ice time. I don't think AA is an option.

Not being from around there, I have no knowledge of whether there is ice time at AA or at any rink in the surrounding area, but I certainly don't see how Brandon Forsythe being established in AA would rule out a coach the caliber of Igor.

Golightly
06-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Virtue and Moir aren't speaking either. What is up with that? I think they are the ones who might leave. Curiouser and curiouser.