PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mgobluegirl
06-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Compuware's main thing is hockey. The Plymouth Whalers of the OHL plus the Compuware AAA programs play there. That said, Compuware and Novi are probably the best local options.

I wondered about the Onyx in Rochester Hills. It's a 3-rink facility - more ice time. That's where Callaghan was just after he left DSC. Just a thought.

MacMadame
06-05-2012, 02:46 AM
When you call for tech support, you get an MLB person. I think the people uploading comp videos are independent of USFS. You may be right about the print content creation. Hard to tell b/c USFS website doesn't list staff dedicated to IN....that may be part of the problem - too much to keep track of and the fact checking doesn't get done.
IN is a subsidiary of USFS. Which means they have their own staff separate from USFS.

But the software comes from MLB which is probably why you get MLB people when you call Tech Support. From what I've read, they do the support if there is a technical or billing problem while IN takes care of the content.

I... totally misread this at first. My brain was thinking compuware was a store, and that we had devolved far enough to somehow track the wild habits of the Michigan Igor.
Compuware used to be a store. My husband worked there in the 80s before they went out of business.

But they weren't related to the Compuware computer software company that paid the arena to put their name on it. :cool:

LilJen
06-05-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm dreaming of possibilities. . . that this will mean some of the teams will spread out over the country--to Platov, to CA to Klimova/Ponomarenko, to WA to the Bakers, to all kinds of different areas, so that we'll see some really different styles and some real rivalries develop. Probably not realistic, but I tend to tire of dominance from one camp (eg, the Chicago Bulls in the 90s). It gets boring and predictable, people!

purple skates
06-05-2012, 03:12 AM
I wondered about the Onyx in Rochester Hills. It's a 3-rink facility - more ice time. That's where Callaghan was just after he left DSC. Just a thought.

Thought of that too but it is so far from the Canton area.

literaryfreak
06-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Compuware used to be a store. My husband worked there in the 80s before they went out of business.

But they weren't related to the Compuware computer software company that paid the arena to put their name on it. :cool:

Compuware the store doesn't exist anymore? Whoops :slinkaway

vesperholly
06-05-2012, 03:39 AM
"Now there is a conflict of interests. Igor decided to have his own pupils without my consent, to train them separately from me. I have a very certain position on this question - it's a conflict of interests."

That reads more to me like some skaters only wanted to be coached by Shpilband, not Zoueva, and she had a hissy. Why does she get to "give consent" to his every action? I'd think he's more of a draw as a coach than she is.

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm dreaming of possibilities. . . that this will mean some of the teams will spread out over the country--to Platov, to CA to Klimova/Ponomarenko, to WA to the Bakers, to all kinds of different areas, so that we'll see some really different styles and some real rivalries develop. Probably not realistic, but I tend to tire of dominance from one camp (eg, the Chicago Bulls in the 90s). It gets boring and predictable, people!

This would be amazing.

Totally forgot about Klimova/Ponomarenko, they could use some top teams in their camp.

That reads more to me like some skaters only wanted to be coached by Shpilband, not Zoueva, and she had a hissy. Why does she get to "give consent" to his every action? I'd think he's more of a draw as a coach than she is.

I don't understand this either. Why should they be expected to always work together? Looks to me like she knew she was the weaker link and wanted to strike first.

AnnMJensen
06-05-2012, 04:00 AM
If they have an arrangement that works now (all teams work with both coaches) then Igor deciding to have some that do not causes a potential scheduling problem in terms of getting enough time with HIM for all the existing teams as well as the new ones. And it means there are teams that can't just switch back and forth with Marina if there is a scheduling problem or some need for flexibility in the schedule. He may have thought it would be no problem in theory and then on the ice it became one and then developed into a major problem due to bad communication/management. Not as fun as some of the more exotic theories, but more like "office politics" with Russian Divas and blades. :))

FSfan107
06-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted this out:

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
New US Figure Skating press release: Davis&White and Maia&Alex Shibutani will train at Arctic Edge this season with MZoueva as head coach.

aka_gerbil
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM

Thanks!

That settles part of the question. I'm sort of shocked that D/W are going with Marina over Igor.

inthemiddle
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM

now I am speechless :confused:

ChelleC
06-05-2012, 04:15 AM
That settles part of the question. I'm sort of shocked that D/W are going with Marina over Igor.

So am I.

FSfan107

Me too.

aka_gerbil
Press release:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120604/SPORTS18/120604082/1048/sports

DaveRocks
Thanks for that, FSfan107.

Now, what about the current world and Olympic Champions? :)