PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Visaliakid
06-04-2012, 01:49 AM
According to the AFSC Gen. Manager Craig O'Neill

“There was a lot of issues. This has been going on for a couple of months. He's not focused with the kids. What it came down to was the kids didn't want to skate there (in Canton) anymore with Igor. Either they were leaving or Igor was leaving."

O'Neill said

that U.S. Figure Skating was apprised of the problems at the rink since the end of April or beginning of May.

It would seem that issues have been in play for a month or more that brought this all to a head tonight! What a stunner!!! What a shake up for U.S. and Canadian Ice Dancing! :eek:

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 01:49 AM
The "why" doesn't really make sense to me?? Doesn't seem reason enough to fire him. Sounds like there's waaaayyyy more to this story.

Of course.

To just fire a coach of that standing, the most successful ice dance coach in the world at the moment, like this there surely has to be something more that simply can't be made public.

It may be nothing more than Zueva not wanting to be upstaged by what Igor does by himself for the new teams.

Imagine if Shpilband's programs are better received for the teams he's exclusively working with than what Zueva does for V&M and D&W?

The calls for them to get away from her would be louder than ever.

Shpilband was amazing at bringing Lv4 elements and super fast twizzles.

Zoueva was... not so amazing (TOTALLY FECKING SHIT) at choreographing programzzz.

So yeah, maybe there's some truth in this. :P

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Marina won't be left alone at Canton.

There's always been plenty of other coaches there, working in the background.

kirkbiggestfan
06-04-2012, 01:53 AM
:eek:
Does it mean Spilband will start coaching for mother Russia? Just wondering

We need a poll: A rink in Michigan, Toronto, NYC area, Russia? :D

Riazanova/T for Olympic gold! haha

carriemarie
06-04-2012, 01:54 AM
holy sh*t...no one is safe in this sport!!

maggylyn
Wow. Talk about totally unexpected news.

:eek:

bmcg
Well that's the official story. :shuffle:

Who knows, like everything else in skating, we'll probably never know what exactly went on. It does seem odd he would just be let go after all these years without the skaters even talking to him, but maybe that's the way these things work.

I really want to know if D&W will return that message.

I´m most surprised by D&W. Always felt he was fonder/closer to them then the other two teams in this article ( and that he mentioned leaving them a message specifically seems to back up that impression ). So it would be interesting to see what made those two want him gone. And did the two new teams upset the balance that has been maintained in Canton to date?

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh and we know that Piseev wanted Shpilband and Zoueva to coach in Russia but they weren't interested.

I guess that might change now. :P

Although given Shpilband's track record he should be able to get a job anywhere in US/Canada.

Unless "the insiders" know stuff we don't.

Another thought: There were always too many teams in Canton and I wondered how S&Z manage to get on top of all of this, even with all the assistant coaches. It all had to go belly up eventually...

A.H.Black
06-04-2012, 01:58 AM
What a coup for Jo-Ann Barnes. Phil Hersh must be burning the phone lines right about now.

bmcg
06-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Of course.

To just fire a coach of that standing, the most successful ice dance coach in the world at the moment, like this there surely has to be something more that simply can't be made public.

Shpilband was amazing at bringing Lv4 elements and super fast twizzles.

Zoueva was... not so amazing (TOTALLY FECKING SHIT) at choreographing programzzz.

So yeah, maybe there's some truth in this. :P

Their teams had a lot of trouble hitting level fours this past season. Very hit and miss and I think less successful then the other Detroit rink. So if that's his best asset he's slipping.

Marina won't be left alone at Canton.

There's always been plenty of other coaches there, working in the background.

But they need another dance coach I think. Or I'd prefer it anyway.

AYS
06-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Absolutely shocking! Wow!

overedge
06-04-2012, 02:01 AM
What a coup for Jo-Ann Barnes. Phil Hersh must be burning the phone lines right about now.

:rofl: Too true. There isn't even anything about it on Phil's Twitter....

PinkFeathers
06-04-2012, 02:02 AM

:rofl:

I guess this could explain why we haven't heard any mumblings from these teams about programs for next year. Granted, they were mostly on vacation, but still.

I won't be surprised if he ends up coaching for Russia, and that this was someone's evil plan all along. :slinkaway

overedge
06-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Their teams had a lot of trouble hitting level fours this past season.

I'm not sure they were significantly worse at this than other skaters were. IMHO Igor was certainly the most successful at putting the high-scoring elements in the program and getting them recognized as such.

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 02:05 AM
But they need another dance coach I think. Or I'd prefer it anyway.

There's Johnny Johns there.

But yeah they would want another high profile dance coach to help out with the 34254354 teams that they have.

Although maybe some teams might be loyal to Igor and will follow him?