PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

carriecmu0503
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
IIRC, it may have been a new rink.

Compuware is in Plymouth, MI, and they haven't had much going on there figure-skating wise in a while. They used to have a synchro program (Gems on Ice) but they merged with DSC's Team Elan a few years back (and the name was changed to Evolution).

Compuware has a synchro program again, called Allegro! It is run by Carrie Brown, the former coach of Gems.

AYS
06-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Compuware is not a good name for a skating rink. Who the heck came up with that?!

casken
06-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Compuware is not a good name for a skating rink. Who the heck came up with that?!

The owner of Compuware who paid for the arena to be built. :lol:

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 01:10 AM
At least Linichuk was never dull. You have to give her that. :lol:

It's hard to make OTT Bombastic Drama dull...

skatemommy
06-05-2012, 01:15 AM
IIRC, Arctic was a brand new facility when Igor got there.

that is correct. ps. Tanith is also coaching with Brandon Forsyth in Ann Arbor.

Proustable
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
It's hard to make OTT Bombastic Drama dull...

And yet, with her DomShabs Olympic FD, she did.

I believe Camerlengo did F/S Olympic programs.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 01:23 AM
And yet, with her DomShabs Olympic FD, she did.

I believe Camerlengo did F/S Olympic programs.

I didn't think it was dull. It was more of a facepalm program. Especially when Requiem for a Dream started playing

carriecmu0503
06-05-2012, 01:27 AM
that is correct. ps. Tanith is also coaching with Brandon Forsyth in Ann Arbor.

Brandon is my coach. Tanith is not often in Ann Arbor because she travels the country as a choreographer. Garrett Lucash is now in Ann Arbor coaching with Brandon.

Vagabond
06-05-2012, 01:32 AM
“What John (Stansik) and I did today was all based on the kids," O'Neill said of Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, and 2011 world bronze medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani. "Igor did talk about starting his own program, and coaching some of his own kids, and we didn't have issues with that. Our main focus has to be the top three teams.

“There was a lot of issues. This has been going on for a couple of months. He's not focused with the kids. What it came down to was the kids didn't want to skate there (in Canton) anymore with Igor. Either they were leaving or Igor was leaving.

“We told him that the kids weren't going to come back to the rink until we had this meeting with you."

This doesn't ring true. Why would all three of the teams be saying this to the rink owner and the general manager instead of Shpilband himself?

Tak
06-05-2012, 01:48 AM
This doesn't ring true. Why would all three of the teams be saying this to the rink owner and the general manager instead of Shpilband himself?

Nothing about this makes any sense to me.

If the skaters didnt like the amount of time they were getting from Igor, why not just fire him as their coach [refuse to pay for time he's not giving them]. Demanding he leave the rink just sounds OTT. Plus now Charlie's mother is totally denying it.

I'd like to know who told the director the skaters wanted to leave? Was it the skaters themselves or was it Marina? Since Jacqui White is saying it's not true I kind of doubt it was the skaters.

Also Igor is now looking for a rink in the same general area. Obviously he's hoping at least some of his students will stay with him. It's going to be very interesting to see who goes where. The Director mentioned 3 teams as complaining. If all or most of them end up with Igor, I wonder how the Director will feel or what he will do.

Wow - this is far from over. But it's got to be settled soon. The skaters are going to have to start working on their programs for next year. So I think we'll have a clearer idea of who's lying fairly quickly.

purple skates
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Back on topic... huh. Doesn't look like much going on there, currently. They seem to have ice for sale :o

Compuware's main thing is hockey. The Plymouth Whalers of the OHL plus the Compuware AAA programs play there. That said, Compuware and Novi are probably the best local options.

Aussie Willy
06-05-2012, 02:27 AM

Because that is what people do? I daresay the skaters have asked the rink manager to represent them on their behalf, particularly if they all have the same concerns.

Cherub721
06-05-2012, 02:30 AM
I can't believe there's no real news yet today! I figured that it being a Monday and with the teams expected to be back from vacation there would be new articles, meh.

I've been checking on Artur Verner's site because he's supposed to be good friends with Shpilband http://www.wer-art.com/conf/ but from a google translate it seems like he's trying to be coy because he's trying to get the first interview from either party...

Ziggy
06-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Igor should team with Platov. Platov doing choreography !

Well that's one partnership that I would like to see! :)

Marina's quote that there is a possibility of them working together in the future - I am shocked that she would say that after having a hand in him being fired. Does she truly think he'd work with her after this, regardless of who is right/wrong here? It's almost like she doesn't see this as that big a deal.

She's just playing the PR game.

Obviously, she's not going to say to the press: 'I hope that ugly old c*** dies in a fire.' :P

Since it seems Shpilband and Karine Arribert have a mutual respect for each other, they could be incredible as a team.

Karine's choreography is awesome, but maybe a bit too...esoteric? Igor and her could collaborate on something that is unique and fully choreographed but would be better received by the judges and a wider audience.

Maybe they could convince Blanc and Bouquet to come out of retirement. It's not like Carron and Jonezzzzzz are setting the dance world on fire. :D

That is the best fantasy pairing ever. :swoon:

AxelAnnie
06-05-2012, 02:41 AM
I am really still at "holy crap"!

Actually, I think he is going back to Russia to coach the new team of Slutskaya and Yugadin.