PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I am curious how this story spilled. Did Igor contact JoAnn after he was fired? Pure speculation on my part, only the parties involved would know (and maybe even they don't know).

just wondering
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Read the article several times now and there is no such proclamation of the sort. NOTHING is said about who D/W, V/M or Shib Sibs will wind up training with/for.

:rolleyes:

Maybe it's the caption to the pic here: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120603&content_id=32735008&vkey=ice_news

PinkFeathers
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I think Kerr's comment is a bit silly. The coaching team was definitely a strong factor BUT the skaters themselves are incredibly talented, dedicated and hardworking. They aren't going to lose that overnight.

Yeah, it also implies that there's some other teams out there prepared to pass them. Other than W/P moving up to the podium (which likely would have happened regardless) it's a whole lot of tumbleweed :shuffle:

Both Ice Network articles are 'look, we've rehashed the shit you already knew!' which I can't blame them for, as there's just no new news... yet.

just wondering
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I am curious how this story spilled. Did Igor contact JoAnn after he was fired? Pure speculation on my part, only the parties involved would know (and maybe even they don't know).

I wondered the same thing. The first version of the story had a strong pro-Canton rink tone ("we're taking charge of a bad situation"), so I thought perhaps they jumped the story so that their perspective was the first to print.

manleywoman
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Not a surprise. I doubt that he will go back there, since he defected initially, I assume for a reason. He is probably too used to the USA by now to go back, although others have done it. He may still prefer the freedom he has as a coach in the USA (unless this event has totally disillusioned him).

Off topic a bit, but I know Oleg Vassiliev has no desire to go back to coaching in Russia. He much prefers it here and not being under the Russian Fed's thumb.

Jammers
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
This could be the best thing to happen for skating in years. Imagine if D&W go with Igor and V&M stay with Marina. This rivalry will have what's been missing the last few years. Bad blood. What a story heading into Sochi. :scream:

Dragonlady
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Igor has been in the US for a long time. He's married and raised children who have grown up American. Once an immigrant has a family in their new country, it's very disrupting to family life to go back, especially where the language and life is so completely different.

The 40 something coaches with teenage children have not rushed back home to Russia. They've stayed in North America.

allezfred
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Igor, Marina, Tessa, Scott, Meryl Charlie, during the olympics brought honor to the United States

That'll be news to Tessa & Scott I'm sure. :lol:

The speculation about federations getting involved in how one rink is run is just pure fantasy though. Particularly federations as large as USFSA and Skate Canada.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I am really interested to see if Meryl and Charlie leave with him and S/S and V/M stay with Marina. That would be amazing.
And them both losing to Pechalat/Bourzat :P

Now THAT would be a soap opera I'd enjoy watching :watch:

kwanette
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
There is always trouble in paradise.
I can certainly understand what John Kerr is saying.When changes that big happen,nobody knows how things are going to unfold.
Politicking can be as important as the dancers' talent and choreography.Of course you can't bring an untalented couple to the top but you can certainly bring a talented one.
I want to see who goes with him and who stays.

Yepper.

Zemgirl
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
The 40 something coaches with teenage children have not rushed back home to Russia. They've stayed in North America.
He's not yet 40, but Nikolai Morozov has a daughter in the US (I think she's 10 or 11 years old), and it didn't stop him from going back to Russia when the right offer came along. OTOH, he wasn't in the US as long as Shpilband has been.

I wonder which Russian dancers Piseev had in mind for Igor? ;)

And them both losing to Pechalat/Bourzat :P

Now THAT would be a soap opera I'd enjoy watching :watch:
I would totally go for that, with extra :watch:.

HotAir&Ice
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Lord John E. E. D. Acton said it best: "Power tends to corrupt and Absolute Power corrupts ABSOLUTELY". :EVILLE:

Lacey
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
So V/M were first at WC 2010, won OG 2010, then 2nd at WC 2011, then 1st at WC 2012
and D/W were 2nd at WC 2010, 2nd at OG 2010, first at WC 2011, then 2nd at WC 2012

Did some of the fans wonder about this year's WC result, could it have gone the other way? Did each coach split his or her fidelity, favor one over the other?

There has got to be rivalry between the skaters and between the coaches, it's too close, and I use that term for its wide interpretation. Ya, one has gotta be a good sport and pretend that everything is wonderful. I commend the athletes for their sportsmanship.

But really, probably, it was not all lovely. Came to a boiling point. Perhaps one or the other thought at one point or another that the other couple got better programs, was given more attention. (I don't think the new couples thing was a ball buster.) Something had to give because it was just too close. Perhaps this is a power play, one over the other. Maybe it will all work itself out in the end, with no losers, get rid of some of the probable angst between the skaters. Just let them skate for best skating's sake, not to beat their rivals.

I mean, they will split, but it will be ok, and, as before, maybe we will still have our 1/2 or 2/1. It was dirty pool if one tried to steal it all, that would never work. Hopefully, they will not get prejudged for their coaches' antics, and one of the top two will, as before, become WC with the other second, and perhaps one will repeat as OC or the other will win that, again with the other second. We, the lucky fans, will have an entertaining off season before the first summer competitions. And hopefully we will see better skating, higher levels all around, and prettier choreographed programs.

aka_gerbil
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
He's not yet 40, but Nikolai Morozov has a daughter in the US (I think she's 10 or 11 years old), and it didn't stop him from going back to Russia when the right offer came along. OTOH, he wasn't in the US as long as Shpilband has been.

I think that Igor may be a bit more involved as a father than Morozov... :slinkaway

leafygreens
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Good point. :violin::puppet: