PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

skaterboi
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I am really interested to see if Meryl and Charlie leave with him and S/S and V/M stay with Marina. That would be amazing.

According to icenetwork Shpilband will not be coaching D/W.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Valentin Piseev: We are happy to provide Igor Shpilband all the conditions for work in Russia (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dallsportinfo.ru%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=ru&twu=1&u=http://allsportinfo.ru/index.php%3Fid%3D60585&usg=ALkJrhgb03iyMVSVHBtS8hgDYk_pkNHbCQ);)

Note: google translated.

Not a surprise. I doubt that he will go back there, since he defected initially, I assume for a reason. He is probably too used to the USA by now to go back, although others have done it. He may still prefer the freedom he has as a coach in the USA (unless this event has totally disillusioned him).

In any case, Piseev is playing this right.

overedge
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Skate Canada has Michael Slipchuck, et al. No such position exists for US Olympic athletes....with monitoring to see where the government's money is going and how well it is being spent. No US federal budget or citizens' tax dollars go to support US Olympians AFAIR. The government and citizens of Canada have a direct financial stake in the success/failure of their athletes....not so in the US. The pressure placed on the athletes is EMORMOUS in Canada. Just ask Wayne Gretsky...or Joannie Rochette....or Patrick Chan...or Brian Orser.....

I was going to ask if you could post anything more to show your complete ignorance of Canada, sports funding in Canada, and sports administration in Canada, but you just beat me to it! Thanks!

In the US, most citizens do care about how many medals are achieved by the country, but the details of figure skating and figure skaters are not well know by those other than uber-fans, like on message boards, like in US Adult Skating, etc. The average fan of the Olympics and figure skating in the US sees the sport as almost a non-sport, with the judging/results fixed and rigged and inexplicable. Most folks, when asked, will still think Michelle Kwan won the Olympics, for example. Figure skating and the skaters are not subject to being objects of national pride by most citizens like in Canada, where, for example, Patrick Chan wishes he were a national hero. This opinion is not really subject to that much debate, as the differences are obvious.

It's not subject to that much debate because it is so clearly ill-informed and wrong.

In short, all this means SO MUCH MORE to Canada and their citizens than to the US and theirs...financial, national prode, etc., etc.

The rink, on the other hand, is a BUSINESS, first and foremost. The money provided by D/W and S/S is likely to be less than the Canadian money sent in by V/M's participation and the possible promise of future earnings from the next generation of Canadian dancers. In the US, there would be no such promise of future financial arrangments possible, but it is a possibility via Skate Canada.

Where your theory really falls down is that :EVILLE: Skate Canada has no time to be doing all these things. It is too busy :bribe: with the Japanese federation and :bribe: IMG to send all the Japanese skaters to Orser and the Cricket Club, and to destroy Korean figure skating in the process.

Debbie S
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
According to icenetwork Shpilband will not be coaching D/W.That's what the photo caption says, based on what was reported elsewhere. I think it's too early to make conclusions on who will go where. Everything seems to be in flux right now and I assume it will likely be some time before everything is sorted out.

kia_4EverOnIce
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
just shocked! O_O

Frau Muller
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Valentin Piseev: We are happy to provide Igor Shpilband all the conditions for work in Russia (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dallsportinfo.ru%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dof f%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=ru&twu=1&u=http://allsportinfo.ru/index.php%3Fid%3D60585&usg=ALkJrhgb03iyMVSVHBtS8hgDYk_pkNHbCQ);)

Note: google translated.

Ah...it's the old Alfa Bank Account connection! I knew it!!!

Alixana
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Where your theory really falls down is that :EVILLE: Skate Canada has no time to be doing all these things. It is too busy :bribe: with the Japanese federation and :bribe: IMG to send all the Japanese skaters to Orser and the Cricket Club, and to destroy Korean figure skating in the process.

:cheer2: Yay us!!! :lol:

aliceanne
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
This doesn't make any sense because in the Skating magazine article, Marina said that everything was a well oiled machine, due to the schedule that everyone sticks to ("no secrets" was her term, I believe). Also, she said that there was room for more skaters, and they wanted to take on some younger teams. So why would she be mad at Igor for taking on two more teams?

It sounded to me as if Igor was planning on taking on two more teams without her. The rink mgmt also said that he had asked them about creating his own school, having his own kids. According to Igor he and Marina were having difficulties and that it would be reasonable for them to part ways after Sochi. Maybe she doesn't see it that way? Maybe she sees him as taking the promising up and coming teams based on a reputation that she helped him to make and is now cutting her out?

Based on the events it sounds as if emotions (and egos) are running amok. I'm surprised rink management got involved.

If it is a Candian plot, why wouldn't Marina, take V/M and go to a Canadian rink? She's a Canadian citizen. I don't think anyone planned anything, people are just reacting.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
That's what the photo caption says, based on what was reported elsewhere. I think it's too early to make conclusions on who will go where. Everything seems to be in flux right now and I assume it will likely be some time before everything is sorted out.

I agree. I'm not sure we can take the caption at face-value. I'd rather hear it from D/W myself.

Domshabfan
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
That's what the photo caption says, based on what was reported elsewhere. I think it's too early to make conclusions on who will go where. Everything seems to be in flux right now and I assume it will likely be some time before everything is sorted out.

On top of that, icenetwork does make some really silly errors. i am not sure whether this is one of them, however they have given no details to support the argument that Igor will not be coaching the Davis/White in the main article.

Zemgirl
According to icenetwork Shpilband will not be coaching D/W.

Yes, I wouldn't put too much stock in an IN photo caption. Jacqui White's comment on the Free Press article doesn't suggest that anything has been decided. Actually, there's been no real indication as to where any of the various S&Z teams will end up, and since at appears Igor will be staying in the same area, I'm sure some will go with him.

lmarie086

I agree as well. We need to wait until we have official statements of some sort from the skaters themselves. Anything else until that point is just speculation.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I posted this in the D/W thread, not realizing it wasn't the main thread. ;) I'm wondering why, if all three top teams wanted Igor out, why Igor only mentioned meeting with Davis and White? Why no mention of the Shibutanis or V/M?

I agree. I'm not sure we can take the caption at face-value. I'd rather hear it from D/W myself.

I'd agree re: the caption. My thought re: Igor speaking with D/W was to ask them to come with him.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
If there were problems between Igor and Marina, the rink management should have acted as mediators instead of firing Igor (is that what Marina wanted?). It would have been better for the rink to have both of them, rather than just one.

fan
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree as well. We need to wait until we have official statements of some sort from the skaters themselves. Anything else until that point is just speculation.

EVERYTHING at this point is just speculation!