PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

flowerpower
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
How is this going to affect the teams, though? They have been with both coaches their whole careers. Both coaches each bring something to the table. Will their dances be as well-balanced now?

All of the teams will suffer. I can't imagine the atmosphere at the rink. :( And putting programs together will be compromised, at least in the short term, you'd think. So sad.

kwanette
06-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Stops and starts, levels, transitions, etc. are not relevant to Igor's firing, imo.

^This.

Must be Nancy Kerrigan's fault.

And I knew that the Kween would make it into this thread. :)

bmcg
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I stand by my point : those teams would be nothing without Igor's maestria as an ice dancer coach. Marina is nothing. She got all the rewards when she arrived, but HE is the one who is behind it all.

And yet he was the one fired so it must have been bigger than your opinion of him.

Jammers
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Wow just wow!!! :eek:

Ziggy
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
He's always coached teams who were in direct competition with each other, so I don't know why the issue of conflict of interest would be such a big deal now.

The straw finally broke the camel's back, perhaps.

Although the more the article gets updated, the more it looks like a conflict between Zoueva and Shpilband. When this much money, power and prestige is involved...

Especially after Jacqui White's quote.

I really hope it's Marina being a witch and backstabbing Igor, because otherwise... :slinkaway

Yeah because if it's not this, then something really serious must have taken place. :(

Maybe Shpilband hates Shpilband programs as much as we do becuase they're really Zueva programs. :lol:

This. :P

Really? Which of them choreographed D/W's Bollywood OD? I thought that was mainly done by Marina because she came up with that idea. It looked complex and had good transitions....

Stopping and posing numerous times is pretty much the opposite of transitions. :P

I wonder if he would be willing to go back? Igor did not emigrate to the USA like most of the other Russian skaters and coaches; he defected.

The Soviet Union has collapsed a while ago. ;)

I am sure the Russian Fed has already made him an offer.

Which sort of makes one worry about the onrush of teams to Krylova/Camerlengo. Hopefully they won't find themselves in a similar situation a few years from now...

I hope K&C can say 'Ok sorry, we can't take any more teams' like NOW and avoid the same fate.

You know if I were one of the top teams at Canton I wouldn't want to go with either Marina or Igor.

From what I can gather from articles that I've read, Igor would put together the technical structure of a program and then Marina would fill in the choreographic touches.

Now splitting the coaching team apart you're going to miss one major component of the package and a summer is not enough for either Marina or Igor to find another counterpart and learn to develop that coaching relationship so quickly.

I feel so badly for the Canton teams - especially with the Olympic year looming in less than 2 years time.

This. To me, the Arctic Ice Dance program is pretty much dead.

Zueva has fired her "co" coach before whith Gordeeva / Grinkov.
Stan Leonovitch used to have a lot of words about this to tell. And they were not pretty about how Zueva works. It's probably why I never liked her.

Please share more! :watch:

This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

:rolleyes:

In other words Canada = evil.

And obviously, losing the technical coach who was responsible for V/M's technical prowess is totally not disruptive to them.

Thanks for one of the most ridiculous posts ever posted on FSU. :blah:

---

That Zhuk interview! :watch:

'Nobody wanted to hire her after the conflict between her and Yelena Chaikovskaya where Zueva spit on her face. I asked management to hire her to work with a group of kids. As it turned out, I did it for my own headache…She wrote many complainants against me.' :eek:

I hear she's very satisfied with her current coach.

Even more than she should be.... :scream:

I think it's far too early to be picking sides. Right now Marina is being painted as evil, another year it was Igor, tomorrow it will probably be Scott ;)

Given Marina's history...

And I knew that the Kween would make it into this thread. :)

Are you happy now?

kwanfan1818
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Yet Canton teams had the most success when she joined the team.
Since he started mainly by growing his teams, they might have had similar success whether or not she joined, just based on their natural development curve. Also, they became more successful the more important CoP became and "waiting your turn" got weaker."

He is not complementary to Marina.

He makes it sound less like Gordeeva was a young skater manipulated by an eville coach in the Soviet system than a fellow pea in Zoueva's pod.

leafygreens
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Jacqui's comment, though! Sounds like she wants her "kid" to be left out of it! Also, it tells a lot about the dynamics at play - that the coaches are fighting over ego - it doesn't have anything to do with the skaters.

Gary, I'm afraid you don't know what you are talking about. This wasn't initiated by the skaters, they are obviously only trying to hang on by the skin of their teeth to continue training while the coaches battle to the death and when convenient, use them as pawns in the fight. This is an old story of "who has control", where egos come into play and team cooperation erodes. The skaters in this scenario are not brats, but victims caught in the crossfire.

DaveRocks
06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Igor, Marina, Tessa, Scott, Meryl Charlie, during the olympics brought honor to the United States...

:confused:

On another note, I'm very interested to hear what Skate Canada has to say about Igor's firing.

Alixana
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

And the trolls are out! :lol:

isamelia
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow- Phil Hersh is really asleep at the switch on this one. Not even a tweet with a promise of the full story later.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I never said D/W got dinged for it. Although they did in a way, because people were saying V/M's was the more difficult OD by the end and V/M won.

My point is that you can tell Marina's style apart from Igor's.

I can't tell Marina's style apart from Igor's. Can you tell me which of D/W's programs (besides D/W's tango, which I think you said was done by Igor?) were mainly choreographed by one or the other? I thought Bollywood, S&D, and DF were mainly done by Marina, but only because she talked about the vision she had about each of these programs in various interviews.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Wow- Phil Hersh is really asleep at the switch on this one. Not even a tweet with a promise of the full story later.

He's said he doesn't know anything about ice dance, right? Maybe he's never heard of Igor Shpilband and doesn't know it's a figure skating story.

ETA: It's a joke. I can't stand Hersh and his complete disrespect of ice dance. I'm glad he's not around on this story.

ETA: Sorry for the double post.

jiggs
06-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted:

"Shocked" Shpilband searches for new rink in Michigan; details to come on @icenetwork

Frau Muller
06-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Schpilband always struck me as a wheeler-dealer salesman type. We haven't heard the whole story yet. It could be a mixture of politiks and financial issues (splitting of fees and such). Let's wait for the details.

GarrAarghHrumph
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted:

"Shocked" Shpilband searches for new rink in Michigan; details to come on @icenetwork

He'd like to stay in Michigan? Makes sense, from a personal perspective on his part, and would likely help him keep some of his current students. I'm sure there are rinks that would be happy to see him. Perhaps even his old rink again?