PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

arakwafan2006
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Does anyone even care that the atheletes and their families who have sacrificed so much are being placed under even more pressure now? At the end of the day, families have sacrificed so much and to have to endure this is truly terrible. Igor, Marina, Tessa, Scott, Meryl Charlie, during the olympics brought honor to the United States, their sport, each other; they were role models for successful partnerships and for change and revolution. Does anyone care that all of that has come under fire after this?

I really hope that the sportsmanship between the teams continues as well as the success.

bek
06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Unless Igor really did something ridiculous (although I can kind of see how taking on R/T could upset the apple cart).

I really can't help but take his side of things...Mainly because I think he's the main reason for the success, not Marina. Sure the teams reached the podium once she came on board (although T/B were never going to reach the top step). But I can't help feel that the main reason his teams are on top are for technical reasons not because they have the best programs ever....

Someone mentioned why is charlie's mom putting them into this. Well here's my thing, Marina and company put them in on it when they publically stated the skaters were why Igor was fired.

bmcg
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
The rink official said they were fired because the "kids" wouldn't come back if he was there.

I think itīs far too early to be picking sides. Right now Marina is being painted as evil, another year it was Igor, tomorrow it will probably be Scott ;) If it was a choice between coaches (one stays and the other goes) you have to wonder why this particular choice was made considering it seems more logical Igor would carry more weight in an American rink and with the USFSA. I know the USFSA doesn't hire and fire but the figure skating club is affiliated with them and if the rink chatted with them a month ago they did so for a reason. None of us know what the reason was, it could simply be to let them know things in Canton were rough at the moment and were just looking for input or advice. Far too early to decide who is at fault here and picking sides.

FunnyBut
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Someone mentioned why is charlie's mom putting them into this. Well here's my thing, Marina and company put them in on it when they publically stated the skaters were why Igor was fired.

I agree with you , but Marina herself did not say that the skaters demanded Igor's termination. The two rink managers made that assertion. Marina may be in cohoots with rink management, but she did not put the skaters or families in a position they have to refute.

overedge
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, but it's a competition. V/M got flack for the same thing early this season.

This makes no sense. D/W didn't get dinged for too many starts and stops in their Bollywood program because it's an OD, which is supposed to represent the character/style of a particular kind of dance. V/M's program was a free dance, and the free dance has no such rules.

overedge
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

:rofl: You're joking, right? Or do you seriously think that Olympics are less important to the US then they are to Canada? If so, your tinfoil hat is a little too tight.

Debbie S
06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
V/M's program was a free dance, and the free dance has no such rules.Maybe not, but too many stops can lead to lower PCS scores, as can a lot of 2-footed skating, lack of transitions, lack of speed, etc (and I'm using those as general examples, not attributing them to any Canton team).

I believe Oksana Baiul's Olys FS is (or was) on an ISU judges training video as an example of a poorly constructed program - too many stops and too much dancing in 1 place.

bmcg
06-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Maybe not, but too many stops can lead to lower PCS scores, as can a lot of 2-footed skating, lack of transitions, lack of speed, etc (and I'm using those as general examples, not attributing them to any Canton team).

I believe Oksana Baiul's Olys FS is (or was) on an ISU judges training video as an example of a poorly constructed program - too many stops and too much dancing in 1 place.

I think that was Pluschenko :D

algonquin
06-04-2012, 04:07 PM
We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.:rofl: Too funny...

mgobluegirl
06-04-2012, 04:09 PM
What's interesting is that Igor stood by Marina back when they left DSC. The rink wanted to fire her, and instead of losing her, Igor left as well and set up camp in Canton. Now it *appears* that she was instrumental in his termination.

This is the point I was going to bring up. I remember him leaving DSC over her contract there not being renewed.

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
This makes no sense. D/W didn't get dinged for too many starts and stops in their Bollywood program because it's an OD, which is supposed to represent the character/style of a particular kind of dance. V/M's program was a free dance, and the free dance has no such rules.

I never said D/W got dinged for it. Although they did in a way, because people were saying V/M's was the more difficult OD by the end and V/M won.

My point is that you can tell Marina's style apart from Igor's.

Sparks
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Stops and starts, levels, transitions, etc. are not relevant to Igor's firing, imo.

SkaterDon
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I think the rink management should be 'taken to task' for their inability to deal with a complex situation properly. Taking one side and acting on it to the detriment of almost all of the skaters (who are paying into the rink!) shows immaturity. Yes, it's difficult to get strong ego centric personalities to sit down together and help work out a solution. It may have taken days but should have been done. Maybe the manager could have hired an outside consultant to come in and work on a solution.

I can't imagine being a skater and having to come back to a rink with such an atmosphere.

leafygreens
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
How is this going to affect the teams, though? They have been with both coaches their whole careers. Both coaches each bring something to the table. Will their dances be as well-balanced now?

MarieM
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I stand by my point : those teams would be nothing without Igor's maestria as an ice dancer coach. Marina is nothing. She got all the rewards when she arrived, but HE is the one who is behind it all.