PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

TAHbKA
06-04-2012, 02:10 PM
That story has been reported 392582359 times by quite a few people.

Am sure Dadygin would have his own view on the facts. Usually :scream: and :yikes: ones

leafygreens
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
With Igor speaking out so vehemently, it makes me think either one of two things:

1) He's innocent (of whatever the charges are) and it's a last-ditch effort to salvage his reputation; or

2) He's crazy, and lashing out. In which case the firing was probably deserved.

This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

Very interesting analysis. IF this is the case, then the Canadian coach and skaters have no reason to be in Michigan any longer, so they should go back
to their own country. They would be staying in Michigan for what - a rink? There's none of those in Canada? But -- that is really hard to prove.

Agree. It seems Igor's taking on the two new teams was upsetting Marina, and in return Marina's scheduling of various teams' availability was in turn making life difficult for Igor. That much we've heard from Igor and Marina themselves, so that's at least one source of strife between them.

This doesn't make any sense because in the Skating magazine article, Marina said that everything was a well oiled machine, due to the schedule that everyone sticks to ("no secrets" was her term, I believe). Also, she said that there was room for more skaters, and they wanted to take on some younger teams. So why would she be mad at Igor for taking on two more teams?

Garden Kitty
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Does this mean I'll never get the recent Skating magazine with Sphilband and Zoueva on the cover and the headline "No Secrets" autographed now? :confused:

Twizzler
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
What's interesting is that Igor stood by Marina back when they left DSC. The rink wanted to fire her, and instead of losing her, Igor left as well and set up camp in Canton. Now it *appears* that she was instrumental in his termination.

We'll never get the whole story.

sap5
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Does this mean I'll never get the recent Skating magazine with Sphilband and Zoueva on the cover and the headline "No Secrets" autographed now? :confused:

Aw, don't lose hope! Why don't you ask them to sign and see what happens? And then please report back. ;)

FunnyBut
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
This doesn't make any sense because in the Skating magazine article, Marina said that everything was a well oiled machine, due to the schedule that everyone sticks to ("no secrets" was her term, I believe). Also, she said that there was room for more skaters, and they wanted to take on some younger teams. So why would she be mad at Igor for taking on two more teams?

But Igor specifically called her out on the scheduling, specifically HER scheduling. So either she didn't know there was a problem at the time (highly unlikely :lol:) , or she was putting on a good team face for a magazine interview, which IMO is completely understandable. Sometimes you try to address the problem (think John Edwards, 'no affair, no baby' :lol:) by specifically denying it exists. You don't want to air your dirty laundry publicly , but sometimes the stench gets out despite your efforts. A 'well oiled machine' doesn't crumble to its core a few months later.

She, Igor and the rink management have all mentioned the two new teams, so apparently there is some issue. Also, if I understand correctly these are the only two teams which Igor takes care of exclusively, without any involvment from Marina. She might not have had a problem if both she and Igor shared the new teams.

flowerpower
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
...the Canadian coach...

I would be shocked if Marina does not have American citizenship by now...she has been living and working in the US for so many years. It would be so much easier for travel in the US; there are so many reasons it would be advantageous. I expect that she's a dual American/Canadian citizen (and maybe even still a Russian citizen as well).

bmcg
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
<snip>

The article also said that Igor wanted to work exclusively with these two new teams. There is also a quote in there from the rink manager:
"Igor did talk about starting his own program, and coaching some of his own kids, and we didn't have issues with that. Our main focus has to be the top three teams.
So was Igor branching out on his own and did it cause worry with Marina and the skaters? Were the scheduling conflicts that suddenly appear because Igor was now doing his own side thing and Marina's schedule was no longer working for him and his "exclusive" teams? So many questions and weŽll probably never get all the answers.

Macassar88
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I would like to see ESTA's take on this.

IGOR SHPILBAN IS NOT GOOD ENOUGFH TO SAVE RUSSIAN ICE DANCE!!! ONLY PASHA CAN GET GOLD IN SOCHI!!!!!!!

Good enough for you?

ice9
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I hope I/K go to Shpilband...

eurodance2001
06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
IGOR SHPILBAN IS NOT GOOD ENOUGFH TO SAVE RUSSIAN ICE DANCE!!! ONLY PASHA CAN GET GOLD IN SOCHI!!!!!!!

Good enough for you?

Good try but not enough misspelled words or exclamations...

bmcg
06-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I hope I/K go to Shpilband...

I hear she's very satisfied with her current coach.

eurodance2001
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
It's sounds like Marina has a reputation for doing this.. Let's others establish the program and she swoops in and poaches what's there.. Obviously she thinks she can do it all.. That's a bit arrogant.

eurodance2001
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Oh, I'm sure she's extremely satisfied and FULLFILLED..

Macassar88
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Satisfied... :rofl: