PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

made_in_canada
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Well if Igor and Marina aren't cooperating with each other I don't see any benefit to them sticking it out for the Olympics. It's pretty damn hard to train well in a tense environment. Having said that, the way the skaters are being portrayed as the cause seems incredibly unprofessional to me. I don't care if they are adults, leave the skaters out of it.

VarBar
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
The Skate Canada theory is particularly amusing because the Zoueva/Shpilband split is affecting Virtue and Moir as seriously as it is Davis and White and the Shibutanis, didn't Igor have his own role to play in and contribution to the growth and development of all these couples? I have trouble to believe that the club manager would have fired Shpilband without having the approval of Davis/White or that the USFSA, who has been aware of the whole situation since the end of April, according to that article, wouldn't have checked with their own teams first, it would defy common sense.

We might have to wait until one of the parties involved writes their memoirs in order to know the truth. Anyway, it's all too sad.:(

flowerpower
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina has been working in the US for many years now....it is where her bread is buttered. She has much to gain from a steady stream of US skaters arriving and paying hefty coaching fees. She has more reason to make USFS happy at this point than SC.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

And this won't disrupt V/M's training??? Give me a break. This is a nightmare for all the top teams in Canton.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is absolute and total BS. Do you know anything about Canadian culture or society at all?

bek
06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
There has to be more to this story. I wouldn't mind if Igor started training some more Russian teams.

equatorial
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Then again, I'm sure Liz Coates has some stories to tell re: Shpilband. :shuffle:

Was there any conflict between Shpilband and Coates? How did they part their ways?

Skittl1321
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Pretty sure that Michigan, like most states, is an "employment at-will" state. Like someone else mentioned, it seems strange that the rink director would have authority to fire him since most coaches are independent contractors.

The rink director does have the authority to take ice privileges away from coaches though. That is how coaches around here have been "fired". They've been told they are no longer allowed in the rink building.

I'm very much interested in seeing this story develop. Something is definitely missing from the explanations given!

tut88
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
So North American ice dancers and coaches piss and fart just like rest of us.

;)

MarieM
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Then again, I'm sure Liz Coates has some stories to tell re: Shpilband. :shuffle:

Probably. But I am sure you could ask Zhuk and Leonovitch how they feel about Zueva and the way she works ... :cool: They have plenty to say on her and Gordeeva / Grinkov :D

And I never felt the split with Liz Coates was as bad as that one.

pani
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Probably. But I am sure you could ask Zhuk and Leonovitch how they feel about Zueva and the way she works ... :cool: They have plenty to say on her and Gordeeva / Grinkov :D

And I never felt the split with Liz Coates was as bad as that one.

Not in this World you could talk with Zhuk, sorry :P

DORISPULASKI
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
But you can read an interview with Zhuk, due to the wonders of the internet

http://www.gg-corner.de/?p=223

He is not complementary to Marina.

pani
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM

I remeber all this story, Doris :( Only Elena Vodorezova support him after what Marina did.

TAHbKA
06-04-2012, 02:06 PM

For god's sake, if you are into reading Dadygin's interviews... He is known for a wild imagination.

equatorial
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
For god's sake, if you are into reading Dadygin's interviews... He is known for a wild imagination.

That story has been reported 392582359 times by quite a few people.

bmcg
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Less complimentary to Katia.

Debbie S
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I have trouble to believe that the club manager would have fired Shpilband without having the approval of Davis/White or that the USFSA, who has been aware of the whole situation since the end of April, according to that article, wouldn't have checked with their own teams first, it would defy common sense.The rink doesn't need the USFSA's permission to fire a coach/revoke their teaching privileges. And I doubt the USFSA told the rink to fire Igor - it would be rare for them to get involved in rink staffing issues.

Also, this was clearly a rink decision and had nothing to do with the club. Most clubs and rinks exist independently of one another (exceptions are when the club owns the rink, ex: DSC, Wilmington). Rinks have control over who teaches on the FS sessions they run; clubs have authority over who teaches on club ice. In this situation, the rink is running the ice sessions that Igor and Marina are coaching their teams on so the rink has the authority on who coaches on them.

If a coach is banned from either the club or rink due to serious legal and ethical issues (ex: abuse), which doesn't appear to be the case here, usually the other entity will follow suit, b/c both the rink and the club need to follow the law and also protect themselves from liability. Things get a bit murkier in situations where the club bans a coach from its sessions due to violating certain club rules....I have seen situations where a club revokes teaching privileges but the coach is still allowed to coach on the rink-run FS sessions. There are also situations where a rink has banned a coach and the club hasn't, or doesn't purchase specific club ice anyway, and the club generally severs ties with the coach if he/she is a member, b/c if the coach is banned they can't participate in any club activities (at least, that was the argument my former club used to get rid of a particularly toxic coach....no one cried when she got booted from the rink).