PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

miffy
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Yet Canton teams had the most success when she joined the team.

I see what you mean but IMO the competition was MUCH stronger pre 2001. Even Tanith and Ben were competing against many more stronger teams than there are now - JMO. :)

tut88
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Maybe because I am faraway the Us' skating world, but I hadn't seen this coming !
Shocking news to me.
It seems he had a troubled partnership with Zueva, but this is normal !
What sounded odd to me is that more then one time the article says that the KIDS wanted him away. TO me this is new !
I wonder with which other couple was he working by himself. Riazanova & Cappellini ?
It's a reason enough to fire the most successfull coach of the last 5 years ??
Doesn't seems odd ??

Do you think Zueva is capable to manage the technical part ? Just asking, not assuming anything !

tut88
06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm sure he will do good wherever he will work !

Anyway I wonder if this is all a money thing !

DSC has so many skaters now ( and coaches ) I don't think he'll find place there.

kwanette
06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
He hasn't been able to get those results on the ice or by politiking, so this is the next best thing.

If USFS is so concerned, why is Skate Canada not just as involved?

^ This.

MarieM
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Zueva has fired her "co" coach before whith Gordeeva / Grinkov.
Stan Leonovitch used to have a lot of words about this to tell. And they were not pretty about how Zueva works. It's probably why I never liked her.

tut88
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Stan Leonovitch used to have a lot of words about this to tell. And they were not pretty about how Zueva works. It's probably why I never liked her.

really ? I didn't know this.

I don't know if it'r true, but to me she messes up too much with the athlets' mind. just my ignorant idea !

tut88
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
We don't need to watch soap operas when we have skating.

:lol::lol::lol:

Carina
06-04-2012, 12:23 PM
OMG !!!! Totally shocked, this just came out of the blue.:confused:

clarie
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Igor's latest quotes certainly give that impression. However it's also stated in the article that the USFSA has been aware of the situation for about a month now so I have to wonder how much Igor is trying to cover his own ass right now. The reason I say that is because Igor is the American citizen, he is the one who marches with team USA in the Olympics and wears their jacket. If the USFSA knew about this for a month and Igor seemed more "USA USA" then Marina why let him be the one who gets fired if it's just a tiff between the two coaches. If Igor is more valuable and the skaters are happy with him then you would think logically Marina is the one shown the door. Only the opposite seems to have happened.

It's much more involved than a disagreement between coaches I'm thinking, but people who don't like Marina are jumping on the blame bandwagon. I'm also thinking that it must be something pretty serious, so I totally agree with you.

Mayra
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Then again, I'm sure Liz Coates has some stories to tell re: Shpilband. :shuffle:

kittyjake5
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Good Lord! Shocking news! Mutiny at the ice rink?

I wonder what Shipilbad will do now and which teams might go with him.

PairSk8Fan
06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.

Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.

We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

This is simple to understand. It is politiKs.

tut88
06-04-2012, 12:54 PM
This seems rather simple. The Canadians include V/M and Zueva, and the Americans include Igor and D/W. The battle for Olympic Gold is coming up, and the pressure of them all being in the same place became too much, and one set had to be removed.
Marina, probably with the blessing of SC, set this up to avoid disrupting V/M's training and put the Americans into a tough spot, having to find a new home to train, find anew choreographer and destroy Igor's reputation.
We all know what lengths Skate Canada will go to get their Gold medals at the Olympics and how much pressure they place on athletes and coaches to "win" them. They put the entire weight of their National pride on the shoulders of the athletes and coaches, who work for their nation, not like the Americans who often work for their own achievements first, as FS and the Olympics is not as important to the average US citizen.

That is a point !!!
thank you !

Coco
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Were the Ann Arbor dance coaches moving to CO or was that just a rumor? Maybe Igor will end up in Ann Arbor. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

dots
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM

lol this theory.

Evil Skate Canada up to their old tricks :EVILLE: while poor naive USFSA gets blindsided. :saint: Quick someone get NBC! We have our next fluff-piece.

:rofl: