PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Bournekraatzfan
06-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I would like to see ESTA's take on this.

I miss ESTA! Come back!

kwanfan1818
06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Hoho.
It's all Piseev's work to eliminate the top pairs and bring one of the Russian teams to the gold in Sochi :sekret:
He hasn't been able to get those results on the ice or by politiking, so this is the next best thing.

If USFS is so concerned, why is Skate Canada not just as involved?

Domshabfan
06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
:eek:

Marta24
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I am shocked, too. They always seemed to be such a close group. I thought that Shpilband is the technical expert in Canton, it seems strange that they fired him.Maybe they just need to rethink and look for a better solution.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I am as shocked as everyone else. How does a coach get fired after producing championship teams at the highest level? From the article it sounds like the skaters (I hate using the word 'kids'- those are fully grown adults) did not want him there anymore. If that is true, it is even more perplexing. Shpilband was a major factor in their winning those titles. We only have to look at where US ice dancing was before Shpilband. He and Marina had a strong team. This is as shocking as Grishchuk-Platov splitting after their second Olympic gold medal.

Can Shpilband go back to Detroit skating club and build his program there? That may make it easy for his children, since they can still stay in Detroit. I am sure he will get many offers from other skating clubs outside of Detroit.

Whoever made the decision to fire him seems to have made a very bad decision for their club.

DORISPULASKI
06-04-2012, 10:11 AM
It seems odd to me that somehow the teams were supposed to be politicking the last month when they were on vacation for a large part of the month, with the Americans tweeting pictures of themselves on their various beaches. The story, as told in the article, seems implausible. Were the teams even on the same beaches. The Shibs were in Hawaii, AFAIR, and the Whites were on some other beach with palm trees, too. V&M were on tour with CSOI until May 18th, and then went on vacation.

It sounds like a fake story to me.

Aussie Willy
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think the fact they were on holidays would stop them from communicating with each other and it was probably a good opportune time to decide if they wanted to break the bonds with Shpilband. It is really hard to do during the season.

Hanna
06-04-2012, 10:55 AM
How does a coach get fired after producing championship teams at the highest level?

This.

It can't be simple.

pani
06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Could coach be fired without any visible reasons? Maybe Shpilband need appeal to court?
And i dont think all this is good for USA FS federation.

paskatefan
06-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Did not see this coming, and am totally shocked. I hope this doesn't negatively impact long range on the North American teams.

Swurvestar1
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Could coach be fired without any visible reasons? Maybe Shpilband need appeal to court?
And i dont think all this is good for USA FS federation.

Pretty sure that Michigan, like most states, is an "employment at-will" state. Like someone else mentioned, it seems strange that the rink director would have authority to fire him since most coaches are independent contractors.
This is very interesting nonetheless and I can't wait to see how this story develops further.

FunnyBut
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
To each his own, but I thought Jacqui White's comment was the most interesting and probably the most honest reaction of the bunch. Somehow I don't quite buy the story of Igor as the blindsided fool and Marina the victim.

She put the spotlight not on herself, but on two coaches on an ego trip who can't get along in a situation that is now affecting the training of the athletes. To add insult to injury, the two coaches are now using those same athletes in a tug of war to their own benefit. The ones who are losing out here being the athletes.

JMO

Agree. It seems Igor's taking on the two new teams was upsetting Marina, and in return Marina's scheduling of various teams' availability was in turn making life difficult for Igor. That much we've heard from Igor and Marina themselves, so that's at least one source of strife between them. It also appears from Igor's comments that they knew they (Igor/Marina) were going to break up, but he hoped they could keep it together until after the Olympics. My guess is Igor wanted the two new teams to himself (money,control, whatever), thought it was within his rights and he could handle it all. Marina was like, um no, not without me you don't, your divided attention is affecting our joint champion teams, and it's gonna get your ass booted.

We've not heard a peep from the dance teams themselves, just all those happy pictures on beaches, when they were supposedly politicing for Igor's removal. Perhaps they were sent to calmer waters to get away from the real heat on the ice?

I'm sure Jacqui White isn't mouthing off any sentiment that hasn't already been discussed with Davis/White and their families, and most likely she is saying what they themselves would like to say. While the rink managment purports the teams were demainding 'Igor must go', it seems from Jaqui's comments what they really expressed was 'we can't train in this battlefield between our coaches'.

mollymgr
06-04-2012, 11:26 AM
How ironic is this? Just last year, in June, the Canton community and the Arctic Edge Ice Arena held a celebration of their success. This whole thing is extremely bizarre. I just can't see everyone going back to life as usual even when the dust settles.

It is like a bad divorce where the parents are trying to manipulate the kids into taking sides. Usually, it is the kids who ultimately end up suffering.

MarieM
06-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Shpilband fired by Zoueva then. She's the one who thinks she's genius. He's better off without her, and he did amazing programs BEFORE she arrived there. It's her who ruined his teams :P

bmcg
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Shpilband fired by Zoueva then. She's the one who thinks she's genius. He's better off without her, and he did amazing programs BEFORE she arrived there. It's her who ruined his teams :P

Yet Canton teams had the most success when she joined the team.