PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

TanithandBenFan
06-04-2012, 06:04 AM
It's a real piss off, that's for sure!

Bournekraatzfan
06-04-2012, 06:07 AM

:lol:

sandra_persch
06-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Wonder how long it will take the Russian Fed to contact him now ;)

overedge
06-04-2012, 06:14 AM
There were multiple pauses in that dance, whenever the music changed, much like V/M's Funny Face. It was my only problem with it.

Have you ever looked at real Bollywood dancing? It does exactly the same thing. It's full of stops and poses.

jenniferlyon
06-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Wonder how long it will take the Russian Fed to contact him now ;)

I wonder if he would be willing to go back? Igor did not emigrate to the USA like most of the other Russian skaters and coaches; he defected.

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Have you ever looked at real Bollywood dancing? It does exactly the same thing. It's full of stops and poses.

Yes, but it's a competition. V/M got flack for the same thing early this season.

All I know is I've had the feeling that Marina was the main choreographer behind D/W's Bollywood, S&D, and DF routines, all of which were D/W's most popular. I wonder how things will look if they leave Marina and go with Igor. Maybe (hopefully) something like the original Eleanor Rigby?

My take is that Marina's programs are the more universally liked and the ones audiences like better, but a bit open when you really look at them.

Igor's programs are not so well-liked but chock full of transitions and complexity.

Which approach is better, I'm not sure, but it's why they were a good coaching duo together.

Mayra
06-04-2012, 06:33 AM
This is my personal opinion of course, but it's not necessary for her to be making those kind of statement. We(the public) don't even know the whole story yet , and she goes out there and puts herself in the spotlight. I'm sure her son is already in a very difficult spot. Why make it even worse? She could have said "this was not initiated by the skater. I can assure you of that..." and that would have been fine.

To each his own, but I thought Jacqui White's comment was the most interesting and probably the most honest reaction of the bunch. Somehow I don't quite buy the story of Igor as the blindsided fool and Marina the victim.

She put the spotlight not on herself, but on two coaches on an ego trip who can't get along in a situation that is now affecting the training of the athletes. To add insult to injury, the two coaches are now using those same athletes in a tug of war to their own benefit. The ones who are losing out here being the athletes.

JMO

cailuj365
06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
At this point, I just don't understand how firing Shpilband was the best case scenario for either Marina, Arctic Edge, or any of his dance teams. I feel like no one really benefits from that. I hope the real cause for all of this is brought to light soon.

The Accordion
06-04-2012, 06:47 AM
At this point, I just don't understand how firing Shpilband was the best case scenario for either Marina, Arctic Edge, or any of his dance teams. I feel like no one really benefits from that. I hope the real cause for all of this is brought to light soon.

A konspiracy?

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Hoho.
It's all Piseev's work to eliminate the top pairs and bring one of the Russian teams to the gold in Sochi :sekret:

Aussie Willy
06-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Hoho.
It's all Piseev's work to eliminate the top pairs and bring one of the Russian teams to the gold in Sochi :sekret:
I would like to see ESTA's take on this.

Theatregirl1122
06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
It seems like rather poor PR strategy if Canton expects the top 3 teams to stay to place the blame for this split on them. The original article doesn't make those teams look very good at all. Essentially saying they forced the coach that lead them to their world medals out of a job probably doesn't look very good politically, even if it is true. And if it isn't true, I'd expect those teams would be VERY unhappy that Arctic Edge decided to use them as scapegoats.

Hanna
06-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Another thought: There were always too many teams in Canton and I wondered how S&Z manage to get on top of all of this, even with all the assistant coaches. It all had to go belly up eventually...

Which sort of makes one worry about the onrush of teams to Krylova/Camerlengo. Hopefully they won't find themselves in a similar situation a few years from now...

All in all, this is very :watch: :sekret:.

What a perfect time for V&M to go somewhere new but I fear they will feel more than ever loyal to Marina.

:drama:

leafygreens
06-04-2012, 07:47 AM

:rofl::rofl:

This news is surprising, considering the glowing article written about S/Z in Skating magazine earlier this year.

What strikes me about this as so odd, is that Shpilband is just letting it fly. Usually in dramatic situations, people take the high road, don't discuss private matters and keep their mouth shut. Why he isn't doing that is what I'd like to know...

missysays
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
You know if I were one of the top teams at Canton I wouldn't want to go with either Marina or Igor.

From what I can gather from articles that I've read, Igor would put together the technical structure of a program and then Marina would fill in the choreographic touches.

Now splitting the coaching team apart you're going to miss one major component of the package and a summer is not enough for either Marina or Igor to find another counterpart and learn to develop that coaching relationship so quickly.

I feel so badly for the Canton teams - especially with the Olympic year looming in less than 2 years time.