PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press: Coach Igor Shpilband fired from position at Canton's Arctic FSC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

dots
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
I don't think she was trying to "bring all the attention to herself." I think she was being a parent upset at strangers calling her son and his partner "brats" publicly on the Internet and wanted to set the record straight.

I imagine the skaters have been instructed by USFSA to stay quiet on this for the time being and we won't be hearing anything from them for a while.

This is my personal opinion of course, but it's not necessary for her to be making those kind of statement. We(the public) don't even know the whole story yet , and she goes out there and puts herself in the spotlight. I'm sure her son is already in a very difficult spot. Why make it even worse? She could have said "this was not initiated by the skater. I can assure you of that..." and that would have been fine.

But oh well it concerns her son and I can understand that. My advice to her would be to turn off the computer for a few days :P

Theatregirl1122
06-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Zing. I have wondered this for a while. The irony!

Well, some programs are more Igor than Marina, like D&W's tango.

At this point, I'll just assume that we know nothing. But the story originally given in the article doesn't even really sound plausible.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:18 AM
:rofl: at Zueva trying to pass this off on the dance teams if this is true. Now THAT is a scandal.

Anyway, I just remembered this Blanc & Bouquet interview from a while back:

Maybe it was Zueva who he feared changing the program's style. He may not be able to doing anything creative without her input and that's why he wanted exclusivity to those two teams.

Maybe Shpilband hates Shpilband programs as much as we do becuase they're really Zueva programs. :lol:

Did Zueva chorograph B/B's program? Because otherwise the argument doesn't make sense?

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:20 AM

At this point, I'll just assume that we know nothing. But the story originally given in the article doesn't even really sound plausible.

I agree, TG. To have the owner of the rink fire Shpilband because the top three teams didn't want him is the oddest story ever. There are so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start.

casken
06-04-2012, 05:31 AM

Well that explains why that FD had 4 times more choreography and transitions than their other FDs. :lol:

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Yeah, you can generally pick out which programs were mainly done by Marina or Igor based on the complexity/transitions. Or if it's a tango. :lol:

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Yeah, you can generally pick out which programs were mainly done by Marina or Igor based on the complexity/transitions.

Really? Which of them choreographed D/W's Bollywood OD? I thought that was mainly done by Marina because she came up with that idea. It looked complex and had good transitions....

l'etoile
06-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Plain shocking. Wow, I thought this partnership of all was something so well-established. NEVER saw this coming.

I wonder how V/M and D/W are working on their skating right now. Are they still on vacation?

CoyoteChris
06-04-2012, 05:41 AM
But what about the big cover story about Zoueva and Shpilband (Skating Magazine, Feb 2012) "No Secrets"....????????
Stay tuned for "Blades of Glory II, this time, its personal" :lol:

aka_gerbil
06-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Plain shocking. Wow, I thought this partnership of all was something so well-established. NEVER saw this coming.

I wonder how V/M and D/W are working on their skating right now. Are they still on vacation?

I think tomorrow would be the first day back after vacation. Talk about coming back to a mess.

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Really? Which of them choreographed D/W's Bollywood OD? I thought that was mainly done by Marina because she came up with that idea. It looked complex and had good transitions....

There were multiple pauses in that dance, whenever the music changed, much like V/M's Funny Face. It was my only problem with it.

Zemgirl
06-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Wow. I wonder what will happens with the top teams. Should be very interesting.

Like everyone I thought it was some kind of joke. Then, being a bad person, I thought maybe it was some kind of misconduct or sexual harassment because this seems so sudden and out of the blue. But I guess it's just two people not getting long. The thing is, I always thought it would be trouble between the teams, not the coaches.

Really shocking news.

Did Zueva chorograph B/B's program? Because otherwise the argument doesn't make sense?
No, they worked with Karine Arribert; here's that interview (http://www.annecy-infosports.com/patinage-artistique/blancbouquet-take-their-leave) as well as one with her (http://www.annecy-infosports.com/patinage-artistique/meeting-karine-arribert-narce) in which she also briefly discusses Shpilband and notes that he was one of the few who got Blanc/Bouquet's programs. I think casken's point was that Igor would have liked to do edgier stuff than he could in his partnership with Marina. It'll be interesting to see what he does next.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:56 AM
There were multiple pauses in that dance, whenever the music changed, much like V/M's Funny Face. It was my only problem with it.

All I know is I've had the feeling that Marina was the main choreographer behind D/W's Bollywood, S&D, and DF routines, all of which were D/W's most popular. I wonder how things will look if they leave Marina and go with Igor. Maybe (hopefully) something like the original Eleanor Rigby?

shan
06-04-2012, 05:57 AM
All I know is I've had the feeling that Marina was the main choreographer behind D/W's Bollywood, S&D, and DF routines, all of which were D/W's most popular. I wonder how things will look if they leave Marina and go with Igor. Maybe (hopefully) something like the original Eleanor Rigby?

Yes please!

RumbleFish
06-04-2012, 05:58 AM
This is the most dramatic thing in ice dance in years and years!!! And it is from North America! Perfect everyone loves each other in every way imaginable and its all smiles and laughter and hard work and love!! LOL!

So North American ice dancers and coaches piss and fart just like rest of us.