PDA

View Full Version : Ice Dancer Anastasia Galyeta suspended 18 months by ISU due to anti-doping violation

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Bogie
06-03-2012, 01:30 AM
lasix / furosemide will attempt to mask any drug filtered through the kidneys, and will cause people to lose any excess water weight (think CHF patients with "wet" sounding lungs or massive swelling in their feet/legs). It is also used (in combo with other drugs) to kick start kidneys (aka urine production) that are in early kidney failure.

As a MD, I cannot think of any reason why a healthy 19-year old athlete would be taking this medication. Ever.

Thank you, I was puzzling over why such a young person would be taking something like this when there are natural ways of reducing water weight. I knew there would be a medical professional here! :)

Coco
06-03-2012, 02:39 AM
When skaters and RSG girls get caught for this particular drug, I think it's because they are using it to lose weight, which - while still cheating - isn't really the infraction that this rule is intended to catch.

So it's a shame, because her career is going to be short anyway.

Skittl1321
06-03-2012, 03:00 AM
When skaters and RSG girls get caught for this particular drug, I think it's because they are using it to lose weight, which - while still cheating - isn't really the infraction that this rule is intended to catch.

So it's a shame, because her career is going to be short anyway.

There are other things that can be used to lose weight. Any elite athlete should know never to injest ANYTHING without checking it against the banned list.

I was reading recently about a swimmer (?) that has a lawsuit pending against a drug company because a vitamin she took had a banned substance in it, and it wasn't listed by the company.

Doping/Doping control is serious business.

Zemgirl
06-03-2012, 06:03 AM
That's a 17-month ban, though in effect it's the same thing as she is out for the season. But if she's looking for a new partner, she's likely out for the season anyway.

Taking medications without clearing it with anyone official is a really stupid mistake to make. Since when are pharmacists up to date regarding the list of banned substances?

That said, and not specifically regarding this case, I'm concerned about athletes having to compete while sick because so many medications or on the banned substance list.

vexlak
06-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Agreed that she should have known. However this is not cycling competition where they take it to enhance endurance. She may have tried to lose weight the stupid way and some MD may have helped...
I am opposing any doping however I still see it as a harsh punishment for a first time offender.

hanca
06-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Not to be pedantic, but it's Ukraine, not The Ukraine. "The Ukraine" is considered offensive to some Ukrainians because it implies colonialism to Russia. Ukrainians are often very independent-minded so that's a hot button issue.

Please, don't forget that not everyone's first language is English. In my native language we don't have articles. No 'a', 'an' or 'the'; none at all. I am not sure what country the poster who wrote 'the Ukraine' is, but from my experience I can say that people whose first language don't use any articles can have problems not knowing when to use them. They tend to not to use them when the article clearly should be in, or compensate and use them far too much (put it somewhere where it shouldn't be). I am sure the writer did not want to be offensive.

TAHbKA
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
That's a 17-month ban, though in effect it's the same thing as she is out for the season. But if she's looking for a new partner, she's likely out for the season anyway.

Which also means if she switched countries she would have sat out anyway.

Domshabfan
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
She may have a lot more to fear than just a 17 month ban.
WADA Code To Ban Cheats From Games (http://swimnews.com/News/view/9486)

However, at the time of its ruling, CAS indicated that Rule 45 could be reintroduced if it was included as part of the WADA code.

A new clause in the draft code - 10.15, Limitation on Participation in the Olympic Games - declares that in serious doping cases "as an additional sanction, the athlete or other person shall be ineligible to participate in the next Summer Olympic Games and the next Winter Olympic Games taking place after the end of the period of ineligibility otherwise imposed."

Zemgirl
06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
She may have a lot more to fear than just a 17 month ban.
WADA Code To Ban Cheats From Games (http://swimnews.com/News/view/9486)
Not really:

The new code is due to be approved in autumn 2013 and would come into force in 2015 in time for Rio 2016, making London 2012 the one Games at which the Merritt ruling may serve as a charter for serious cheats to return to the Olympic arena.

Even if this were an issue for 2018, the events as described in the ISU communication do not strike me as a "serious doping case" (that's pretty vague language; I am sure they will have to be more specific). This is why I don't like language like "drug cheats"; Galyeta made a stupid decision, and she'll be disciplined for it, but she didn't engage in any cheating.

maatTheViking
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Agreed that she should have known. However this is not cycling competition where they take it to enhance endurance. She may have tried to lose weight the stupid way and some MD may have helped...
I am opposing any doping however I still see it as a harsh punishment for a first time offender.

The only way to curb doping is to be extremely strict IMHO. There should no doubt that it is a bad idea to take banned substances.

love_skate2011
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
18 months is too much, I hope it gets reduced too

Vagabond
06-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Not to be pedantic, but it's Ukraine, not The Ukraine. "The Ukraine" is considered offensive to some Ukrainians because it implies colonialism to Russia. Ukrainians are often very independent-minded so that's a hot button issue.

Not to be pedantic, but although Eislauffan speaks English fluently, it isn't her first language.

It's also highly presumptuous of countries whose official language isn't English to tell English-speakers what name to give them in English. Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire can call themselves Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire as much as they please, but some people are still going to call them Burma and Ivory Coast.

Deal with it.

:2faced:

hanca
06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Not to be pedantic, but although Eislauffan speaks English fluently, it isn't her first language.

It's also highly presumptuous of countries whose official language isn't English to tell English-speakers what name to give them in English. Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire can call themselves Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire as much as they please, but some people are still going to call them Burma and Ivory Coast.

Deal with it.

:2faced:

I don't need to deal with it, it wasn't me who wrote 'the Ukraine'. :rolleyes:
I am just trying to explain the the writer very likely did not mean any offence - it's the grammar that might be causing difficulties.

English might not be the native language for Eislauffan, but I think (from the user name) that her first language is German and there are articles in German language, so it would be natural for her to use them in English. However, the use of the articles in her language might be different than the use of the articles in English so it can be difficult even for her to use them. (Originally I was speaking about people who don't have any articles at all in their language. For us it can be quite hit and miss when we are trying to use them. (sometimes more and sometimes less successfully).

triple_toe, I do wonder how many languages you speak if you are so critical to grammar mistakes of other people speaking by their non native language.

Theatregirl1122
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I always thought it was highly presumptuous to decide that you should call a country or a people something other than what they request to be called just because it's hard for you to say the name of the country.

genevieve
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
]It's also highly presumptuous of countries whose official language isn't English to tell English-speakers what name to give them in English. [/B]Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire can call themselves Myanmar and Côte d'Ivoire as much as they please, but some people are still going to call them Burma and Ivory Coast.

Pretty much only ignorant assholes will.

Do you honestly not see how condescending your stance is? Or are you just pulling our collective leg?