Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

oleada
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I always love seeing who gets picked. So far a few have been announced:

France - Laura Flessel (Fencing)
Italy - Valentina Vezzali (Fencing)
Serbia - Novak Djokovic (Tennis)
Spain - Rafael Nadal (Tennis)

Not surprised to see Nole and Rafa be flagbearers; they are already legends in their sports and Olympic medalists.

I don't know a thing about fencing, though. :P
Any suggestions as to who could be flag bearers for other countries?

Domshabfan
06-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Valentina Vezzali 5 gold 1 silver and 1 bronze at Olympics out of 7 medals possible (no team event at 2004 Olympics) spread over 4 Olympics. 13-5-3 at the worlds.

For Russia Kanaeva (just a suggestion)

oleada
06-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Kanaeva is a good suggestion.

Belarus should pick Azarenka IMO.

Domshabfan
06-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Kanaeva is a good suggestion.

Belarus should pick Azarenka IMO.

I forgot to mention an important point, one big consideration in deciding the flag bearers for the games will be when each athletes individual events starts. So considering Rhythmic is right at the end of the games, Kanaeva may not what to be flag bearer if it is hinderance to her training since she will have to reach the venue almost 2 weeks in advance, in that case, provided she wins the gold, she could be the flag bearer during the closing ceremony.

So some of the athletics favourites may not want to be flag bearers saw well.

SandraMGfan
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I always love seeing who gets picked. So far a few have been announced:

France - Laura Flessel (Fencing)
Italy - Valentina Vezzali (Fencing)
Serbia - Novak Djokovic (Tennis)
Spain - Rafael Nadal (Tennis)

Not surprised to see Nole and Rafa be flagbearers; they are already legends in their sports and Olympic medalists.

I don't know a thing about fencing, though. :P

I don't know anything about Valentina Vezzali, but Laura Flessel has been part of the French Olympic fencing team since 1996 in Atlanta where she won 2 Gold medals. She then went on medalling in Sydney (1 bronze) and Athens (1 silver, 1 bronze). She qualified for Beijing but got eliminated in the 1/4 finals.

France has a successful history in fencing, and if I remember correctly, it's the sport where France has won the most Olympic medals.

ioana
06-08-2012, 10:29 PM

I think a lot of it depends on event schedules, too. Romania wants one of the rowers to be flag bearer, but she has a (qualifying) race next morning, so that might not work too well. I heard Kim Clijsters is one of the front runners for Belgium.

love_skate2011
06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Flag Bearers are usually the pride of the sports/ specific disciplines

USA - Ryan Lochte :kickass:
Russia - Evgenia Kanaeva
China - Liu Xiang
Spain - Rafael Nadal
Japan - Kohei Uchimura
Serbia - Novak Djokovic
Belarus - Viktoria Azarenka ( too many tennis flag bearers not good, imo, they all wont win )

Domshabfan
06-09-2012, 06:34 AM
I don't know anything about Valentina Vezzali, but Laura Flessel has been part of the French Olympic fencing team since 1996 in Atlanta where she won 2 Gold medals. She then went on medalling in Sydney (1 bronze) and Athens (1 silver, 1 bronze). She qualified for Beijing but got eliminated in the 1/4 finals.

France has a successful history in fencing, and if I remember correctly, it's the sport where France has won the most Olympic medals.

Valentina Vezzali :

1996 : Gold team foil, Silver Individual
2000: Gold team and Individual :)
2004 : Gold Individual... no team event in 2004
2008 : Gold Individual, Bronze team
Valentina is 38 years old, reigning world individual champion and ranked no.1 in both individual and team event.

and to add to that she is 13 times gold medalist with another 5 silver and 3 bronze. She is an incredible athlete

Domshabfan
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Sharapova to fly the flag for Russia (http://www.news.com.au/national/sharapova-to-fly-flag-for-russia/story-fn7mjqus-1226393600758), how unoriginal. :rolleyes:

ioana
06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
too many tennis flag bearers not good, imo, they all wont win

You know flag bearers are chosen based on being the best in their country or somehow 'embodying the Olympic spirit', not so much their chances of winning gold, right?

allezfred
06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
The most obvious choice for Ireland would be our No.1 gold medal hope Katie Taylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Taylor).

oleada
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Sharapova to fly the flag for Russia (http://www.news.com.au/national/sharapova-to-fly-flag-for-russia/story-fn7mjqus-1226393600758), how unoriginal. :rolleyes:
That's an interesting choice given that Maria hasn't lived in Russia for a long time.... but she's also by far their greatest tennis player ever, just won the Career Grand Slam and she definitely embodies determination, hard work and dedication. So in that way she's a very good choice.

I read somewhere that Isinbayeva is very superstitious and won't do it and rhythmic starts 10 days after the opening ceremony which makes Kanaeva a not great choice.

Garden Kitty
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
I can understand when very visible, popular athletes are chosen, but I always like to see the recognition go to one of the lesser known athletes who don't get big paydays and endoresements.

AragornElessar
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
If Clara Hughes is chosen for the Cycling team, and considering her results the last two years I can't see why not, she just might become the first ever Canadian to lead in Team Canada in two straight, but different, Olympic Games. She was the Flag Bearer who led in Team Canada in Vancouver and after her races at the Richmond Oval, decided she still had unfinished business on the Cycling side of things, so got back on the bike determined to be in London.

Not sure if the COC would want to do that, but it's something I could see happening.

Personally, I'd love to see Captain Canada, Ian Miller, lead the Team in. He's had a legendary career and I have a funny feeling this very well could be his last Games. If so, what better tribute for him.

JasperBoy
06-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Yes, it would be wonderful to see Ian Millar carry the flag. He has had such a long international career but he is getting on in years. (Still younger than me, though!)