PDA

View Full Version : Flagbearers

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

oleada
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
What's so wrong about it? Nadal, Djokovic and Sharapova are all hall of famers already, and Nadal and Djokovic are defending Olympic medalists. You can say anything you want about Sharapova but could've easily retired after her injury and lived off her millions but came back... And it a hard road for her, took tons of work and dedication and love of her sport. I'd never been a fan but that won me over

allezfred
06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Don't agree with all these superstar tennis players being flag bearers but whatever.

Oh get over yourself. :lol:

Zemgirl
06-24-2012, 08:55 PM
No tennis playing flagbearer for us! I think I read somewhere that Lee Korzits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Korzits) will be the Israeli flagbearer. It's not as though there are that many choices, but she's a good pick.
Change of plans, I guess: Israel's flagbearer will be a windsurfer, but it'll be Shahar Tzuberi rather than Korzits. Tzuberi was Israel's only medalist in Beijing, so I guess it makes sense.

What's so wrong about it? Nadal, Djokovic and Sharapova are all hall of famers already, and Nadal and Djokovic are defending Olympic medalists. You can say anything you want about Sharapova but could've easily retired after her injury and lived off her millions but came back... And it a hard road for her, took tons of work and dedication and love of her sport. I'd never been a fan but that won me over
I don't know, I think a flagbearer should be someone who's done really well at the Olympics, or someone who as an athlete is primarily identified with the Olympics. Certainly that applies to some tennis superstars, but it's also nice to see athletes who aren't as high profile get the honor.

oleada
06-25-2012, 01:46 AM
I think it's great that tennis players are taking the Olympics so seriously after years of the Olympics being a second tier tournament for many. For some of the countries, their tennis players are some of their most accomplished athletes ever.

allezfred
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Wonder if the U.S. will choose their flagbearer to nark off their hosts like they did in Beijing? Maybe someone with perfect teeth. :D

;)

AragornElessar
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
CBC Sports ~ Scott Russell's Blog ~ Five for the Flagbearer (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/scottrussell/2012/05/five-for-the-flag-who-should-carry-the-maple-leaf-in-london.html)

Scott's hunches on who the Frontrunners are for Canada's Flag Bearer. I'd love to be able to say if I agree w/him or not, but w/the CBC upgrading their website, anyone in Rural Canada who is still on &%$#$# Dial Up can't get the blasted thing to load properly anymore. :mad:

Garden Kitty
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Chatter going around that Cadel Evans will be Australia's bearer.

Pretty good choice IMO. Would have been happy with Sally Pearson or Matthew Mitcham, too.

I'd love to see Cadel chosen. This isn't an Olympic course that will suit him, so his medal chances aren't good, but in addition to being the first Australian to win the TdF, he does a lot of charity work and supports a number of good causes.

Habs
06-29-2012, 05:17 AM
CBC Sports ~ Scott Russell's Blog ~ Five for the Flagbearer (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/scottrussell/2012/05/five-for-the-flag-who-should-carry-the-maple-leaf-in-london.html)

Scott's hunches on who the Frontrunners are for Canada's Flag Bearer. I'd love to be able to say if I agree w/him or not, but w/the CBC upgrading their website, anyone in Rural Canada who is still on &%$#$# Dial Up can't get the blasted thing to load properly anymore. :mad:

I love his list. Any of those five would be very deserving.

oleada
06-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Despite the talk about Azarenka being the flag bearer for Belarus, it appears it will be another tennis player who will carry the flag - Max Mirnyi. Good choice, I think - long career and he's won 9 GS in doubles and mixed doubles.

Colombia's flag bearer will be Mariana Pajon (BMX), who is one of the biggest medal hopes. The Colombian Olympic Comittee selected a short list of 8 athletes, and the public voted via text message, and Mariana won the vote.

skipaway
07-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Watching the swimming trials, if Dara Torres makes her 6th Olympics, she should have the honor.

allezfred
07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Just to put the list of flagbearers (I've been able to confirm some others) announced in one place:

Algeria - Abdelhafid Benchabla (Boxing)
Angola - Antonia de Fátima Faia (Judo)
Argentina - Luciana Aymar (Field Hockey)
Austria - Markus Rogan (Swimming)
Bahrain - Azza Al Qasmi (Shooting)
Belarus - Max Mirnyi (Tennis)
Bolivia - Claudia Balderrama (Athletics)
Brazil - Rodrigo Pessoa (Equestrian)
Cameroon - Annabelle Ali (Wrestling)
Chile - Denisse van Lamoen (Archery)
Colombia - Mariana Pajon (Cycling)
Costa Rica - Gabriela Trana (Athletics)
Cuba - Mijail López (Wrestling)
Czech Republic - Petr Koukal (Badminton)
Denmark - Kim Wraae Knudsen (Canoeing)
Ecuador - César De Cesare (Canoeing)
Estonia - Aleksander Tammert (Athletics)
France - Laura Flessel (Fencing)
Greece - Alexandros Nikolaidis (Taekwondo)
Guatemala - Juan Ignacio Maegli (Sailing)
Honduras - Ronald Bennet (Athletics)
Hungary - Peter Biros (Water Polo)
Iran - Ali Mazaheri (Boxing)
Israel - Shahar Tzuberi (Sailing)
Italy - Valentina Vezzali (Fencing)
Japan - Saori Yoshida (Wrestling)
Kazakhstan - Nurmakhan Tinaliyev (Wrestling)
Kenya - David Rudisha (Athletics)
Liechtenstein - Stephanie Vogt (Tennis)
Lithuania - Virgilijus Alekna (Athletics)
Malaysia - Pandelela Rinong (Diving)
Mauritius - Natacha Rigobert (Volleyball)
Mexico - Maria Espinoza (Taekwondo)
Mozambique - Kurt Couto (Athletics)
Paraguay - Benjamin Hockin (Swimming)
Poland - Agnieszka Radwanska (Tennis)
Puerto Rico - Javier Culson (Athletics)
Romania - Horia Tecău (Tennis)
Russia - Maria Sharapova (Tennis)
Senegal - Ndiss Kaba Badji (Athletics)
Serbia - Novak Djokovic (Tennis)
Singapore - Feng Tianwei (Table Tennis)
Slovakia - Jozef Gonci (Shooting)
Slovenia - Peter Kauzer (Canoeing)
Spain - Rafael Nadal (Tennis)
Tunisia - Heykel Megannem (Handball)
Uzebkistan - Elshod Rasulov (Boxing)
Vanuatu - Anolyn Lulu (Table Tennis)
Venezuela - Fabiola Ramos (Table Tennis)
Vietnam - Nguyễn Tiến Nhật (Fencing)

allezfred
07-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Markus Rogan (Swimming) for Austria, Rodrigo Pessoa (Equestrian) for Brazil, Gabriela Trana (Athletics) for Costa Rica, Aleksander Tammert (Athletics) for Estonia, Ronald Bennet (Athletics) for Honduras, David Rudisha (Athletics) for Kenya, Stephanie Vogt (Tennis) for Liechtenstein, Jozef Gonci (Shooting) for Slovakia and Anolyn Lulu (Table Tennis) for Vanuatu.

AragornElessar
07-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Markus Rogan (Swimming) for Austria, Rodrigo Pessoa (Equestrian) for Brazil, Gabriela Trana (Athletics) for Costa Rica, Aleksander Tammert (Athletics) for Estonia, Ronald Bennet (Athletics) for Honduras, David Rudisha (Athletics) for Kenya, Stephanie Vogt (Tennis) for Liechtenstein, Jozef Gonci (Shooting) for Slovakia and Anolyn Lulu (Table Tennis) for Vanuatu.

That surprises me a bit, as usually it's a member of their Soccer team as their Flagbearer isn't it? Not that it's not deserved, as I follow Equestrian Sport and know Pessoa's accomplishments and am thrilled for him recieving this honour.

But still surprising in a way. :)

allezfred
07-09-2012, 12:36 PM
That surprises me a bit, as usually it's a member of their Soccer team as their Flagbearer isn't it?

No. In fact, 2004 and 2008 were both from sailing and 2000 was from beach volleyball.

Celine82
07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Roger Federer just turned down the offer to carry the Swiss flag again (he already did in 2004 and 2008). He wants to give the opportunity to another athlete.