PDA

View Full Version : Flagbearers

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

AragornElessar
06-15-2012, 02:08 AM
That's the great thing about Equestrian sport though. As long as you keep in shape and have the horses, there's no age limit whatsoever to how long you can go.

Speaking of that...Zara Phillips, Princess Anne's daughter, was named to the Great Britain Three Day Eventing team earlier this week. I wonder if w/the Diamond Jubliee and all, if she wouldn't be considered for the British Flagbearer?

Not that I'm saying I like the idea, as there's others who have done more over the last four years, but...I do wonder...

maatTheViking
06-15-2012, 04:38 AM
I hope Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein gets to be the Danish flag bearer, speaking of royal equestrians - well technically the team isn't selected yet, but she has been the corner stone for years, and has a team bronze from Beijing.

Well, probably not, maybe it will be Caroline what's-her-name who plays tennis.

oleada
06-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Well, probably not, maybe it will be C] aroline what's-her-name who plays tennis.

I hope not :shuffle:

maatTheViking
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I hope not :shuffle:

I have nothing against her - but I think she is too young and doing this would probably place a lot of pressure on her.

It might be one of the sailors or rowers, though Eskild Ebbesen was flag bearer in Athens (he has 3? 4? OGMs in light weight 4s)

oleada
06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not a fan, to put it mildly, as some of the folk in the tennis thread will tell you :lol: But I don't know about Danish athletes enough to know who is a good candidate. But Caroline IMO has been playing pretty terribly for the past year or so.

I read an article that Agnieszka Radwanska is being considered as a flagbearer for Poland.

Domshabfan
06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm not a fan, to put it mildly, as some of the folk in the tennis thread will tell you :lol: But I don't know about Danish athletes enough to know who is a good candidate. But Caroline IMO has been playing pretty terribly for the past year or so.

I read an article that Agnieszka Radwanska is being considered as a flagbearer for Poland.
I hope Dane's decide to take some Badminton player as the flagbearer, they are really good at this (for a non-asian country).

India - 99.99% chance it is going to Abinav Bhindra (first individual gold medalist for India). If he is not, i am sure Indian medal will make it a HUGE issue.

4rkidz
06-17-2012, 04:37 AM
If Clara Hughes is chosen for the Cycling team, and considering her results the last two years I can't see why not, she just might become the first ever Canadian to lead in Team Canada in two straight, but different, Olympic Games. She was the Flag Bearer who led in Team Canada in Vancouver and after her races at the Richmond Oval, decided she still had unfinished business on the Cycling side of things, so got back on the bike determined to be in London.

Not sure if the COC would want to do that, but it's something I could see happening.

Personally, I'd love to see Captain Canada, Ian Miller, lead the Team in. He's had a legendary career and I have a funny feeling this very well could be his last Games. If so, what better tribute for him.

With everything that Clara has done both in winter and summer olympics (speed skating and cycling) and in communities across Canada (mental health awareness) I think she should be our flag bearer.. This will also be her last games apparently..

AragornElessar
06-17-2012, 09:11 PM
With everything that Clara has done both in winter and summer olympics (speed skating and cycling) and in communities across Canada (mental health awareness) I think she should be our flag bearer.. This will also be her last games apparently..

Not to mention the work she does internationally w/Right To Play. When she was selected to be awarded w/the Order of Canada earlier this year, it was one of the least surprising nominations announced over the last few years. At least IMO. :)

As I said, I have no problem w/Clara being selected and for all of the reasons you said. I'm just not sure the COC would do it due to the fact of her being the Flag Bearer in Vancouver and what the public opinion could be. I can easily see those nitwits who are only sports fans once every four years screaming "unfairness and bias" just because of that sadly.

Garden Kitty
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Rafael Nadal for Spain (http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/8076817/rafael-nadal-carry-spain-flag-london-olympics) - They mention he was chosen today, even though we have him confirmed earlier in the thread. Maybe this makes it "official"

gingercrush
06-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Ugh. I hope 2018 doesn't see Golfers get chosen for flagbearers.

love_skate2011
06-21-2012, 09:10 PM
so how any tennis players flag bearers ? :shuffle:

Russia - Sharapova - check
Spain - Nadal - check
Serbia - Djokovic - check

Poland - Radwanska - maybe ?
Belarus - Azarenka - maybe ?

misskarne
06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Chatter going around that Cadel Evans will be Australia's bearer.

Pretty good choice IMO. Would have been happy with Sally Pearson or Matthew Mitcham, too.

Zemgirl
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
No tennis playing flagbearer for us! I think I read somewhere that Lee Korzits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Korzits) will be the Israeli flagbearer. It's not as though there are that many choices, but she's a good pick.

oleada
06-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Luciana Aymar (field hockey) will be the flag bearer for Argentina. She is part of the team that has medaled in the past 3 Olympics and has been named field hockey player of the year a record 7 times.

Maria Espinoza (tae kwon do) will be Mexico's. She's the defending Olympic champion in Women's +67kg

Buzz
06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't agree with all these superstar tennis players being flag bearers but whatever.